When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mythbusters

automatico

Why did Rolex decide to control (buy) 100% of Beyeler dial company?

In 2001 Jean Pierre Jaquet and his 170 employees used to work for various brands like Ulysses Nardin, Swatch group... and Rolex.

Today Swiss Mister Jaquet, from La chaux de Fonds, as been put in jail by judge Sylvie Favre following a scam concerning 250 real/fake 18ct Rolex Daytona (it is said that much more were produced).

Not going into much detail, for some reason Rolex asked the Jaquet Company to do some (let’s call it function work) on Gold Daytona cases.

One day Swiss customs warned Rolex that they found a "strange" stock of presumably fake 18k Rolex Daytona’s, but to confirm that they were fakes they needed expertise from Rolex.

The verdict from the Rolex Technical Department was frightening "It took me some time to tell if the watch was real or fake" said the Rolex expert. No other comment.

So Rolex recently decided to buy Beyeler dial company and the other companies to avoid this situation again (fake Rolex created with real Rolex parts).

Now that Beyeler works only for Rolex, they deliver finished products only to Rolex.

"Real" Swiss Fakes:

Nov 3, 2008 - 17:31 Counterfeit watchmakers sent to jail

Watch-movement maker Jean-Pierre Jaquet will spend four and a half years in prison for his role in a counterfeiting scheme that rocked the Swiss timepiece industry.

A court in the western city of Neuchâtel announced on Monday that Jaquet and two others were guilty of aggravated robbery, handling of stolen goods and forgery as part of a fake watch scheme.

Fifteen people in total were implicated in the "Ulysses Affair" which began in 2003 when police raided Jaquet's firm in La Chaux-de-Fonds looking for evidence of a plot that also involved gold heists and stolen Rolex casings. Two people were acquitted.

The court also ordered Jaquet to pay SFr750,000 ($643,940) in restitution. Others involved in the crime received prison terms ranging from three to nine and a half years. Some will pay fines instead.

When news of the scandal broke five years ago watchmakers in Switzerland were outraged.

Nicolas Hayek, president of the world's leading watchmaker, Swatch Group, remarked at the time: "It's like a bunch of cardinals getting together and robbing the Vatican bank."

Rolex USA

Can Service 30XX.

Can service 1520/1570 depending on parts.

Will not service 1530/1560.

Rolex UK

Can Service 1530/1560 depending on parts. Will have Rolex UK only warranty.

Will not service 1030/1080.

Rolex UK will no longer service 5508/5510 Submariners...no case parts.

Rolex Geneva

Can service 1520/1570 depending on parts.

Can service 1580.

Will not service 1530/1560

No RSC will work on Valjoux 72 movements because the Swatch group refuses to supply movement parts.

RSC will work on 1665.

1560-1580 dials have feet at 6 and 11:30

3035 and 3135 dials have feet at 2:30 and 7:30

CRS stands for Charles René Spillmann...established in La Chaux de Fonds (CH) at the begining of last

century and made cases and buckles for Rolex and other brands.

CRS still exists under another name.

H Stern dials...the family behind Cadrans Stern did buy PP in the 1930's but they decided a few years later to dispose of their dial business.

So the company that made the COMEX & Rail Dials was no longer related to PP.

Stern remained in the dial business until the 1980s, when they sold the company to another dial maker.

Stern dials are easily distinguished by the 5 pointed star on the back of the dial (Stern is German for 'star').

Facts: :animal_rooster:

Not everyone will stare at your Rolex with envy. (I'd worry more about spontanious human combustion)

Q...What is the retail mark up on a Rolex?

A...43%

Rolex watch: It takes a year to make one.

Rolex buyer: There is one born every minute.

• Like 1

Good info, especially the part on what RSC will and won't do.

I wish that information was more public, and posted over at TRF, etc. Based on the lack of service of older models, it is time Rolex/Rolex Fanatic Hardliners begin to embrace the aftermarket. IMHO replacement cases, alternative movements (V72 out of something else), should be considered acceptable.

Good stuff.

Hard to believe that ETA / Valjoux wont release v72 parts to Rolex. Thats kind of silly. Afterall Rolex is a faily large and well known company. :whistling:

I think it serves Rolex right. If they weren't such aholes in their own right, maybe Swatch would sell them parts. Of course Swatch has adopted the ahole policy themselves in the last 2-3 years.

i tried to purchase some 580s over the weekend at two different ADs both of which insisted on seeing the watch first even though i explained i couldnt wear it with out the endlinks. one AD even wanted to photograph the serial number once i brought the watch in. they played it off like i didnt know what part i was looking for or even needed, so they "had" to see the watch.

HAH

i tried to purchase some 580s over the weekend at two different ADs both of which insisted on seeing the watch first even though i explained i couldnt wear it with out the endlinks. one AD even wanted to photograph the serial number once i brought the watch in. they played it off like i didnt know what part i was looking for or even needed, so they "had" to see the watch.

HAH

I wonder what they do when you show up with a 40 year watch head where the serial number has been worn away by their shitty end-links over the years? I have a Gen 1675 case that the SN is illegible.

Rolex Corporation is dead to me. I will continue to enjoy the vintage stuff, but Fsck them as a company and their practices.

You would think-- in lieu of replicas ~potentially~ cutting into their sales, they would GLADLY take your money for a bracelet, strap or endlinks. Current AD price is $1100 on a new 93150. It probably costs Rolex $15.00 to manufacture, why not take ANYONE's money for something as innocuous as a bracelet or end link?

What sucks is when other manufactures start to play follow the leader and implement the same ridiculous policies regarding parts and service.

Imagine walking into your local Ford dealer to buy some brake pads and being turned away because you did not drive the car in or bring your title. Imagine only getting your car serviced at the Ford dealer. It is amazing how consumer protection exists in some areas and not others.

• 5 months later...

Imagine walking into your local Ford dealer to buy some brake pads and being turned away because you did not drive the car in or bring your title. Imagine only getting your car serviced at the Ford dealer. It is amazing how consumer protection exists in some areas and not others.

This is exactly how I look at it too. Rediculous how there are two standards for service business practice.

So the 3035/3135 gen dials will fit the 2824-1 movements without modification, other than the datewheel?

E

lol...y you bring up old thread to ask this question????

The answer is no. the feet position is different. rolex @ 13 min and 37 min for 3035

the ETA is about 42 and 11 min

Edited by praetor