When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II Rep vs. Gen

Hey guys, first post. Just thought I would introduce myself and ask a question all in one. I'm really glad I've found this forum. What you see below is my rep Explorer II on the left and my gen Explorer II on the right. I bought the rep 6 years ago from a fineluxurytime.com that looked very different from the site that is there now. The watch is an excellent one and has now worked flawlessly on 5 continents. It has the incorrect hand stack with the independently adjustable GMT hand. Compared to my gen one, the only noticeable differences has been the larger lugs around the crown, a shorter gmt hand, and the flip part of the clasp has never quite locked into place with a snap, but it never comes open. I found this forum as I was trying to learn where to buy a more accurate rep, one with a correct hand stack. As I have now learned that my stack is more reliable, and it has been reliable, I have considered just keeping my rep and looking for a new clasp that will close correctly. Any opinions or does anyone know of someone who will sell just a rep clasp? If I do need to buy a new rep, does anyone know who has the closest one, preferably one with the smaller "lugs" around the crown. Please correct me if that is not what that part of the watch is called.

Thanks

post-36407-0-63898300-1304617913.jpg

Edited by decimusmaximus7

Welcome!

Not to be a jerk about it, but... your rep is not very good. Maybe 5 years ago it wasn't bad, but there are reps that are light-years better than the one you have now.

Things I can see from that pic:

wokky rehaut

bad datefont

wrong placement of date window

wrong crown (7mm triplock, belongs on a sub)

CG's too think

case too fat

That said, these are things only guys like us notice :) so if you're happy with it that's great.

Most of the dealers here will sell you a clasp only if you ask nicely, or you can hang around the parts for sale area and try and grab one.

Welcome!

Not to be a jerk about it, but... your rep is not very good. Maybe 5 years ago it wasn't bad, but there are reps that are light-years better than the one you have now.

Things I can see from that pic:

wokky rehaut

bad datefont

wrong placement of date window

wrong crown (7mm triplock, belongs on a sub)

CG's too think

case too fat

That said, these are things only guys like us notice :) so if you're happy with it that's great.

Most of the dealers here will sell you a clasp only if you ask nicely, or you can hang around the parts for sale area and try and grab one.

Oh I appreciate the critique, thanks.

That pretty much settles it. I will just pick up an improved rep instead of investing anything more in this one. I might as well go ahead and choose the M series updated one from perfect clones that has the new rehaut.

Unfortunately, you sort of don't. Especially if you buy directly from a dealer website. The best way to source a specific watch is to email a dealer and ask. I use Sead a lot when I want to do it that way; he's slower than ordering from Josh but he always gets me exactly what I ask for.

The other way to do it, and honestly I get most of my reps this way, is to keep an eye on the for-sale section. That way you get pics of the exact watch, and you usually get it faster, and often can find watches without having to deal with customs hassles.