When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW Daytona's and the Clone V72.. Thoughts?

ebzen02

AFAIK its a val 23 clone, the val 23 clone is a hit and mis. If there is in fact a val 72 clone it is news to me.

From Steve at DW:

"We actually do have those left,

It has exact same spacing as the V72, but the subdial at 6:00 is frozen.

Steve"

I know about the V23 clone that sucks, but this is different..

Edited by ebzen02

But I asked him about the V23 last week and he told me to scrap that- didn't recommend it. This seems different. I just emailed him to confirm. Some one else over at RG was told that there is a V72 clone and that is what sparked my interest.

Meybe he use different name for same item, the v23 clone is known on the forums as the mystery movement and it does have the exact subdial spacing as the v72.

In any case, if it was a true clone of the v72, the subdial at 6 does not need freezing.

Edited by slickdick

This is what this member at RG got from DW:

direct quote from him:

"now have V72 clone movt and valjoux 72 movt with asia 7750 model"

"the V72 with 7750 parts all is perfect close genuine and all accept the genuine parts just 7750 movement is different. And the V72 price is USD 350 genuine band with crown tube the 7750 price is usd 288"

Does this mean anything to you?

Mystery movement...

I know next to nothing about Daytonas but have a 'PN' that I got from 'Paul' 5 or 7 years ago and it has a 2 register russkie Poljot 3133 (aka Val 7733 clone) in it.

The case is about 37mm and uses 19mm hoods.

The movement looked new but would not run. No surprise there. :wounded1:

Is the Poljot 3133 the 'mystery movement'?

Are the subdials in the same position on the Poljot 3133/Val 7733 as a val 72?

If we knew exactly which movements will work with a Val 72 dial (subdial positions, not dial foot positions), it would make it a bit easier.

From what I can tell, the MM has no relation to the P3133 or the V7733 family. The MM has a column wheel, and is a much thinner movement. It kinda/sorta looks like a Valjoux 23, but so do a pile of other chronograph movements from the 20th century!

MM and V23:

i-Wpf9T4S-X3.jpgi-Tkrwgmd-X3.jpg

Grevil uses eta 2892 base + Dubois-Depraz chronograph module. Hence the pushers and crown being not on the same centerline.

Sounds like you know the story of these "authorized" Daytona replicas sold in France with "Telda" written instead of Rolex and "REPLICA" written in red on the top of hours counter subdial.

Do you know if this chrono module has the identical subdial spacing like the V72/727 ?

I think this combo is probably the same used on the "Dodane type 21" (official french air force chrono)

are you gaulois like me ? B)

Edited by Rolexaddict

Sounds like you know the story of these "authorized" Daytona replicas sold in France with "Telda" written instead of Rolex and "REPLICA" written in red on the top of hours counter subdial.

Do you know if this chrono module has the identical subdial spacing like the V72/727 ?

I think this combo is probably the same used on the "Dodane type 21" (official french air force chrono)

are you gaulois like me ? B)

Sorry mate, iam a vicking.

43d1fc14a899cmedium1ce.jpg

I don't think it has the same subdial spacing. But even if it has the same spacing, i don't see any benefit.

Mystery movement...

I know next to nothing about Daytonas but have a 'PN' that I got from 'Paul' 5 or 7 years ago and it has a 2 register russkie Poljot 3133 (aka Val 7733 clone) in it.

The case is about 37mm and uses 19mm hoods.

The movement looked new but would not run. No surprise there. :wounded1:

Are the subdials in the same position on the Poljot 3133/Val 7733 as a val 72?

If we knew exactly which movements will work with a Val 72 dial (subdial positions, not dial foot positions), it would make it a bit easier.

Measured the subdial spacing, poljot and mystery have same subdial spacing. But other then that movement is totally different and as LHOOQ mentioned the MM is a thin movement. The poljot is just fat in comparison, also the movement is larger in diameter.

Sorry for the crappy pics:

img0415pw.jpg

img0417zo.jpg

img0420am.jpg

img0421t.jpg

Edited by slickdick

Great photos, slickdick. I never realized how thin the lugs were on the Poljot Daytona!

It's been an ambition of some to squeeze a Valjoux 7736 into a Daytona case. But even if the mid-case were lathed until it was as thin as an aluminum can, I just don't think it would be physically possible. Then there's the problem of finding hands to fit, as the 7733 hand holes are a bit narrower than the V72's.

Besides, 7736-powered chronographs aren't all that cheap and plentiful these days.

Great photos, slickdick. I never realized how thin the lugs were on the Poljot Daytona!

It's been an ambition of some to squeeze a Valjoux 7736 into a Daytona case. But even if the mid-case were lathed until it was as thin as an aluminum can, I just don't think it would be physically possible. Then there's the problem of finding hands to fit, as the 7733 hand holes are a bit narrower than the V72's.

Besides, 7736-powered chronographs aren't all that cheap and plentiful these days.

The lug width on the poljot is 20mm, probably the reason for the lugs being thin.

IMO v72 case set and genuine v72 is still the way to go.

"The lug width on the poljot is 20mm, probably the reason for the lugs being thin."

My Poljot PN looks way too fat...it is 19mm between the lugs and 16mm thick, the lugs look Ok though.

The midcase is 34.8mm wide centered between the lugs (measured from the back), 36.4mm wide between 3:30 and 9:30, and the steel bezel is 36.6mm in diameter.

The midcase is 6.5mm thick and has evenly spaced 4mm caps on pumper pushers with 6mm crown.

The caseback is 34.4mm wide and rises 4mm above the midcase.

The crystal is 30.2mm where it rises above the bezel.

It weighs 57 grams (timehead only).

I have a PN with a Seagull ST19 and it is 20mm between the lugs and bigger overall, except not as thick.

Here are the specs on it:

The case is 13.9mm thick overall.

The midcase is 36.6mm in diameter centered between the lugs (measured from the back), and 5.6mm thick.

The case is 39mm wide between 3:30 and 9:30 and the ('acrylic' insert type) bezel is 39.6mm in diameter.

The caseback is 35mm wide and rises 1.9mm above the midcase

The crystal is 32mm where it rises above the bezel

It has a 7mm crown and screwdown pushers with 4mm buttons and 5.5mm collars

It weighs 61 grams (tho).