When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Breitling Aerospace dead ! What to do?

944black

Hi All,

I don't post much on here and have been a bit of a lurker for the last couple of years.....!

Anyway, I have a pair of aerospaces, one older and one of the newer ones.

DSC00045.jpg

The older one was left for a few months without a battery, then when I got it back out to get a new battery, the display is fecked, and the watch is dead.

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

This is what the good one looks like:

DSC00047.jpg

I've done a bit of research, here and on some gen forums, and it appears to be an ETA 988*** quartz movement.

Right....now for the big question.

Does anyone have one of these movements that they are willing to sell (or know where I can get one) ?

Failing that, would it be possible to swap out the movement/dial for a swiss eta automatic movement and a gen breitling dial from something else, to make a Frankeneitling !

Anyone of the wise members got any ideas?

Cheers

J

Hi All,

I don't post much on here and have been a bit of a lurker for the last couple of years.....!

Anyway, I have a pair of aerospaces, one older and one of the newer ones.

DSC00045.jpg

The older one was left for a few months without a battery, then when I got it back out to get a new battery, the display is fecked, and the watch is dead.

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

This is what the good one looks like:

DSC00047.jpg

I've done a bit of research, here and on some gen forums, and it appears to be an ETA 988*** quartz movement.

Right....now for the big question.

Does anyone have one of these movements that they are willing to sell (or know where I can get one) ?

Failing that, would it be possible to swap out the movement/dial for a swiss eta automatic movement and a gen breitling dial from something else, to make a Frankeneitling !

Anyone of the wise members got any ideas?

Cheers

J

Bitten by the Curse of the LCD. The same thing has happened to a few (very expensive in some cases) calculators. A new movement swap will be a couple of hundred dollars for parts and labour, it depends on how attached you are to your watch :) if it has some sentimental value, then I'd restore it to Original condition, otherwise have a ball with it :) I've never seen a breitling AeroNavitimer :)

Wondering if you changed the battery or if you took it to a watchsmith? My advice would be to first take it to a decent watchsmith and have him check the battery. Possibly the one you put in is dead as well? Seems odd that both the display and the quartz movement would die at the same time, so it would seem that it is simply not getting power. So the most probable cause is still likely a dead battery, improper installation, or corrosion on the battery terminal. If there is in fact an issue with the movement, I'd still take it to Breitling for an estimate, as doing any kind of cheap fix will simply devalue the watch to just about nothing.

Wondering if you changed the battery or if you took it to a watchsmith? My advice would be to first take it to a decent watchsmith and have him check the battery. Possibly the one you put in is dead as well? Seems odd that both the display and the quartz movement would die at the same time, so it would seem that it is simply not getting power. So the most probable cause is still likely a dead battery, improper installation, or corrosion on the battery terminal. If there is in fact an issue with the movement, I'd still take it to Breitling for an estimate, as doing any kind of cheap fix will simply devalue the watch to just about nothing.

+1... mis-installing a bettery is very easy onquartz watches. I have seen more guys spend more money on having their quartz watch fixed because they had some guy in the "mall" replace their watch battery. Even though the movement is quartz and runs of a battery, they can be just tempermental as a mechanical time piece.

Hi guys,

thanks for taking the time to reply......

I did get the battery changed in a small mall type jewellery store so that may have been the problem.

And yes - the lcd is damaged - that's why I'm trying to find a 988 ETA movement to swap out with this dead one.

Cheers

J

Because it costs too much to replace the movement via them and they wont repair it.

That's why I'm hoping someone will have one of these movements to sell maybe?

Cheers

There is no way to repair the LCD on these movements, so you need a entire new one. Unfortunatly, if you want this repaired, you have no other choice other then send it to Breitling.

No it doesn't have the same movement as the B & R !

Movements are not available for your watch unless you

go direct to the Breitling Service Center. About $500 for a

new movement and service.

I have a dead one also, and have been investigation for

quite awhile.

Good Luck ;)

MM