When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai PAM 312 / 328 Rep Vs Gen Pictorial Review ...

wheaton26

The hands are absolutely spot on. The dial cutoutsand text are clearly bolder, but the case is spot on. Stunning replication, and definitely tough to distinguish. Excellent work by the factory and Angus on this one.

Jeessuusss ... seriously, a year ago I thought they would never be able to bring a good 312 rep out... but they have done really well on these new offerings, incl the 359. I mean, Pam only rules now with this watch because of the sexy in house movement they made for this one, and congrats for owning it bro. But the rep is serious business.

The versions at the other dealers are not these latest releases, the cote de Geneve engraving as seen through the caseback of the latest release is an obvious tell.

Wheaton, as promised, you put up a great comparative pictorial, the two brothers from different mothers should be enjoyed :)

Edited by subbiesrock

Fantastic comparison C! Thanks for posting such a compreshensive side-by-side!!! :D

What are your thoughts on this one?

thanks for the comments guys. i purchased this 328 for the sole purpose of an rwg side by side review. i do not plan on keeping this so please keep an eye open for a sales post over the next couple of days. besides the movement / caseback, the biggest tell for me is the crown guard and lever. the crown guard seems to be a little bigger and the "reg. t.m." font is definitely wrong. the actual lever can be reshaped to look a little more gen like, but i don't trust myself to attempt mods. other than that, this version is very impressive! as a few have mentioned (and my dealer has confirmed), there is an ultimate version in the works. but we all know how that goes ... it could be months away and some things will be better and some will be worse. if you're on the fence, i wouldn't hesitate for the money. all the best.

Hey Wheaton, thanks for the effort in putting the comparison together - fantastic!! I think the pics speak for themselves - and its a darn good rep!.....

First noticeable differences are:

(1) Clarity of the crystal - rep looks a little cloudy. The black on the gen dial "pops" more!

(2) Engraving on the CG is crisp on the gen

(3) Date font on the rep is slightly bolder

(4) Second hand is slightly shorter / stubbier

(5) All the font / markers etc on the rep seem ever-so-slightly bolder

Otherwise its fantastic (if you dont have the gen next to it) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hey Wheaton, thanks for the effort in putting the comparison together - fantastic!! I think the pics speak for themselves - and its a darn good rep!.....

First noticeable differences are:

(1) Clarity of the crystal - rep looks a little cloudy. The black on the gen dial "pops" more!

(2) Engraving on the CG is crisp on the gen

(3) Date font on the rep is slightly bolder

(4) Second hand is slightly shorter / stubbier

(5) All the font / markers etc on the rep seem ever-so-slightly bolder

Otherwise its fantastic (if you dont have the gen next to it) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You forgot to mention that the Gen needs a CP FIX .. It's not flush. an OUTRAGE post-22602-0-26814900-1306023947.jpg bwaahahaha :rofl:

Mmm, eating my own words... Touché MMA, I searched through the list of Luminor Automatics, but must have missed this one. You were right, this is very competitively priced.

thanks for the comments guys. i purchased this 328 for the sole purpose of an rwg side by side review. i do not plan on keeping this so please keep an eye open for a sales post over the next couple of days. besides the movement / caseback, the biggest tell for me is the crown guard and lever. the crown guard seems to be a little bigger and the "reg. t.m." font is definitely wrong. the actual lever can be reshaped to look a little more gen like, but i don't trust myself to attempt mods. other than that, this version is very impressive! as a few have mentioned (and my dealer has confirmed), there is an ultimate version in the works. but we all know how that goes ... it could be months away and some things will be better and some will be worse. if you're on the fence, i wouldn't hesitate for the money. all the best.

The "Reg. T.M." font is quite correct on the rep also. The gen CG for the 1950 models do come with different font engravings. Here's a couple of gen pics of the 312/359 CG's with similar font/shape/positioning as the rep:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6007/dsc04570a.jpg

http://img862.imageshack.us/i/56197763.jpg