When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

microReview Mille Miglia Gran Turismo XL

gran

CHOPARD MILLE MIGLIA GRAN TURISMO XL 168997-3001

mille-miglia-cartel.jpg

The Mille Miglia (Thousand Miles) was an open-road endurance race which took place in Italy twenty-four times from 1927 to 1957.

Like the older Targa Florio and later the Carrera Panamericana, the MM made Gran Turismo (Grand Touring) sports cars like Alfa Romeo, BMW, Ferrari, Maserati and Porsche famous.

mille-miglia.jpg

http://www.chopard.com/en/classicracing/millemiglia/mille-miglia-gran-turismo-xl-168997-3001.aspx#/en/product/168997-3001/

Details of genuine:
Also Called: 168997, 16-8997, 16/8997-3001, 168997R. Series
Case Material: Stainless Steel
Dial Color: Midnight Black
Movement: Automatic C.O.S.C.
Engine: Chopard Cal. 7111, 24 jewels, 28,800 vph, 16½ ''' (37mm), base ETA Valgranges A07.111
Functions: Hours, Minutes, Center Seconds, Date
Crystal Material: Sapphire - Scratch Resistant
Case Diameter: 44.0 mm
Case Thickness: 14.25 mm

Caseback: Sapphire Crystal Display Back showing guilloche rotor and movement
Bezel Material: Stainless Steel
Bezel Function: Fixed
Mass: 146.0 g
Water Resistance: At most 100m (suitable for swimming and shallow snorkeling; unsuitable for diving)
Crown Material: Stainless Steel, Screw-locked, 8mm diameter
Calendar: Automatic large magnified date at 3 o'clock
Power Reserve: 46-hour power reserve
Watch Bracelet / Strap Material: Dunlop-tread Rubber
Watch Clasp Material: Double-locking foldover
Max Wrist Size: 8.5 inches
Watch Bracelet Width: 21.5 mm

Some Genuines have L.U.C. stamped on them and some do not. Presume L.U.C is used to indicate use of an in house movement and largely unmodified ETA when not. Only the L.U.C movements have CHOPARD in a square on the midpart of the rotor.

GENUINE

IMG_1128.jpg168997-3001-back.jpg
genuinegtxl.jpg
IMG_1127.jpg168550-buckle.jpg

http://watchesdb.com/inf/6537-chopard_mille_miglia_xl_gran_turismo_stainless_steel_black_dial_ref168997___3001.html

chopard_mille_miglia_xl_gran_turismo_sta
Notiice this gen caseback woth 50 meters and no LUC
chopard_mille_miglia_gran_turismo_xl_ste

My REPLICA
gransreplicagtxl.jpg

Origin: This came originally from andrew but I bought it from a forum member

Specifications from dealer

CP10008 Gran Tourismo XL SS Black Asia Eta Valgranes A07.111

Superb lumed, Asian Valgranges A07.111, Automatic, 28.000bph
Black BIG Date wheel-Correct Magnification, Diameter 44mm X 15mm thk
AR coated, water resistant, Fragrant impregnated rubber

Conclusions:

1. Very similar fell and look to the genuine in all aspects but some details on the movement thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

2. Centre of rotor is different on replica (asian bearing on rotor is easy for an expert to spot)and also the regulator differ in the way all asian "7750" clones do. Genuine has inscriptions such as serial number on main plate of movement. pardon.gif

3. Movement is correct size diametre as it is the Asia Valgranges A07.111 copy that is suprisingly similar to the genuine valgrange ETA in many aspects thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

4. Lume is impressive for a replica (sorry no picture) thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

5. AR is sufficient thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

6. Crown has the correct writing of 1000 miglia but is less clear than on the genuine good.gif

7. The replica is copying an early version of the genuine as the caseback does not say L.U.C. and is water resistant to 50m and writing on rotor differ on the L.U.C. version (but this difference can be seen on genuines casebacks also so its a bit confusing) g.gif

Final:

This is an extremely beautiful and yet uncomplicated watch that can be worn anytime and anywhere. The large size gives it presence. A very good replica that will be difficult to spot by most watch owners. wub.gifwub.gif

Other people have also made more detailed reviews of this replica and versions of it:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/chopard-gtxl-full-review-plus-23994.html?t=23994&highlight=GTXL%20full%20review%20compro

taiji review of this watch and its versions on RWI is excellent thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Another great review Gran! That watch is really starting to grow on me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wish it was available with the SS bracelet though

Me too...but i think it is possible if one gets this replica of the Chopard - Mille Miglia GT XL Power Control and just steal the SS bracelet off of it??? It might work :victory:

Chopard-Mille-Miglia-GT-XL-Power-Control-158457-3002_846.jpg

Great review Gran... ;)

Very informative and a wonderful professional Layout...

Looks like a pro job! And I am glad to see you have

returned to RWG, we missed you! :clap:

MM

Thank you :group:

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

There is a lot of movements for this replica. Is "Asia Eta Valgranes A07.111" the best one?

Tks,

Mathieu

I find it to be. yes B)

Not sure what swiss movement options have been offered, but swiss would be more reliable. Obviously the best is to put a genuine Eta Valgranes A07.111 into it but probably that is way too expensive. ;)

Great review Gran, and a lovely watch - thanks for sharing!

So, is the Asian A07.111 different or the same as the Asian 7750 that typically comes in these?

asian a07.111 and a 07.211 are Valgranges size = larger diametre but still an asian 7750 clone in terms of working parts