When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Third time is a charm. Finally got the correct gen Crown

milesd

So I'm building a 5517 and I wanted a specific gen crown (I eventually found out it was a 702). At first, not knowing much about Rolex, I bought the first gen crown and tube I saw posted on the forum. However after doing much research I found the crown I wanted was a 24-702. During the hunt, I ended up with a 24-703 (with long logo) and a modern crown. However this weekend I finally found a 24-702 and I've got an aftermarket crown tube from a member here. Thanks to RWG members as I did a search and found all the info I needed here.

702 - 703 - 704??

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

702 vs 703

IMG_0907.jpg

702 tube vs modern tube

IMG_0908.jpg

Nice comparison. The thread pitch on the case ends of the 702 and 703 tubes looks slightly different... You would hope the 702 tube is 3.0mm x .35 just like the 703 tube. I have a 702 case tube which came out of my '78 1680, I'll look at it tonight when I get home. I had to go to the 703 assembly a few years ago when my crown putzed out- threads stripped out in the stem end. Since then, I've picked up a 702 crown in case I decide to switch back.

Nice comparison. The thread pitch on the case ends of the 702 and 703 tubes looks slightly different... You would hope the 702 tube is 3.0mm x .35 just like the 703 tube. I have a 702 case tube which came out of my '78 1680, I'll look at it tonight when I get home. I had to go to the 703 assembly a few years ago when my crown putzed out- threads stripped out in the stem end. Since then, I've picked up a 702 crown in case I decide to switch back.

Yes, I noticed that. I hope everything fits with my mbw case.

• 3 months later...

Hey Nanuq, what about it makes you feel that way? Just curious :)

I like several things about the 702. Mostly I like the beveled back and how it looks in between an old pair of crown guards. That little gap to the case is essential for vintage Rolex.

Then I like the fully exposed threads. With a 703 part of the threads are covered by the crown and if you get crud in there (inevitable) it can't be cleaned out and the crown/tube threads can get stripped.

Finally, you can clean/wax the threads on a 702 tube with a piece of dental floss and keep 'em smooth as a baby's butt. Nothing finer.

I'm sure the twinlock tube could be used, but I am not sure how water tight the seal will be. I guess if there was enough "crush" on the rubber o-ring with the top of the twin-lock it would be ok, but looking at the designs of the two tubes, there is a gap that's too large to just simply squeeze harder.

The tubes that Yuki sells are for the "dot-less" 700 crowns I believe.

E