When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA versus Soprod movements

gran

At last we are seeing some SWISS alternatives to ETA and Sellita

Calibre-soprod-A10B.jpg

The Soprod 'Alternance 10' or A-10 is a high end mechanical movement, reputedly better than the ETA 2892: :drinks:

Soprod A-10 is a direct replacement for ETA 2892.

The width dimensions are the same between the 2892, 2824, and A-10, so the same hands and dials one used for ETA movements can also be used for the A-10, but the A-10 is 1 mm thicker than the 2824, so casing modifications may be necessary. It has a 42 hour power reserve and hacking seconds.

Specs

25.6mm by 3.6mm, 11.5 ligne

Automatic, bidirectional winding

Quickset date at 3h

25 jewels, Incabloc

hacking and Handwinding

Adjusted to 4 positions

Power reserve 42 hours

28,800 vph

Options include big date, visible balance and various customizations. Soprod is one of the very few Swiss movement makers who'll sell in small quantities, which makes this a good choice if you're starting a watch company.

LINK:

http://www.soprod.ch/mouvement-montre/sop-143.html

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112219

Soprod-A-10-003-smal-small.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

regarding the Miyota 9015 movement..its looks pretty much like the Soprod A10 above....but i guess the Miyota is much less expensive

Magrette-Moana-Pacific-Professional-watc

I'm glad to hear of another quality alternative to ETA. The A10 may be pricey but I feel a greater choice of good quality Swiss movements can only be a good thing.

The 9015 is a very reasonable price here in the UK, coming in at £65 from Cousins. So £176 for the A10 does seem a little high but then if you know you're getting a high quality Swiss movement that doesn't require servicing for several years (unlike the used ETA's we get now) then the premium could be worth it.

It looks to be even better value when compared with a pre-sealed 2892 which is coming in at fairly steep £240 here in the UK. Over £60 more than the A10 and arguably inferior.

I like the 9015 but dials and hands for Etas will not fit them afaik and this sets it back quite a bit because so many project parts are made for Etas and mounting dials without dial feet is a hassle. This is where etaclones have the advantage.

"It looks to be even better value when compared with a pre-sealed 2892 which is coming in at fairly steep £240 here in the UK. Over £60 more than the A10 and arguably inferior."   

£240 = $367US today and US supply houses are asking $275 to $325 for them.

I passed on some nos watches in March 2000 with 2892-A2 for $200US each because I did not think they would ever be worth more. Looks like I was wrong.

I did latch on to some nos Elgin automatics with Eta 2824-2 a few years back but did not buy many.   

100% hindsight as usual.    :pimp: