When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Show us your watches with bleached bezel inserts

watchguy51

Things went a bit OTT with this attempt at bleaching...

IMG_0567.jpg

The watch looks pretty different now...

DSCN2704.jpg

(at present, it's actually minus movement, but I might finish it off again oneday, as it's still the most comfortable watch I own :victory: )

Dang Red, that's a gorgeous Snowflake! Tell me more about it!

Nearly all Gen B! Gen Dial, Hands, Tudor 2874 movement, Gen 702 Crown & Tube, Gen 125 Crystal, Gen Tudor Branded 9315 Folded Link Bracelet, Gen 380B Endlinks. Case, Caseback and Bezel Insert from unknown origin.

You can read about the build here

This insert took about 15 mins to bleach then I clear coat varnished it

I don't have a pic of my GMT master but that one took only 6 mins

34de8c26.jpg

That's still pretty solid black for 15 minutes, was the bleach watered down?

That's still pretty solid black for 15 minutes, was the bleach watered down?

I tried taking another picture but the iPhone is making it too saturated. It's not as heavy handed bleaching as others would do. It's got a weathered but not lost at sea for 20 years kind of bezel

I tried taking another picture but the iPhone is making it too saturated. It's not as heavy handed bleaching as others would do. It's got a weathered but not lost at sea for 20 years kind of bezel

Ahh, I think I know the kind of look you mean :good::drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice SD, any story behind this one? Where you got it, how it was done, etc

Thanks..!

its a 2836-2 powered SSD with drilled lugholes, gen T<25 dial with matching handset and gen faded bezel insert. And the rest made to look like a well used dive watch...

Cheers

P.

Peaarl of the Orient...................................................

Just kidding! Got it with the Bezel from eBay last year......can't remember the source anymore! Sorry....

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was really stubborn... even after lightly sanding it, as most people do, nothing happened after an hour of sitting in 2 different brands of un-diluted bleach. It only worked when I heated up the bleach on the stove first. I think most people have to just leave it in diluted bleach for 20 minutes.

What do you guys use to bleach the inserts? Mine is way too black...

The problem I have with bleaching... is that it leaves the surface optically dead (atleast in my one experiment).

If a bezel insert can really get bleached by time and sunlight, swimming in chlorine... it should still have some gloss to it I would think. After I bleached by 5517 insert, I hit it with a couple coats of a satin spray, should have really used semi-gloss. Not only did it darken it a tad to a more natural look, but added protection... after bleaching you could probably scrape the rest of the paint off with your fingernail.

I was quite happy with the results on this one. I found polishing it after the bleaching with a cap code lightly gave it some shine. Many gen you see with a natural patina will be faded but still have some gloss to the insert, unfortunately when you bleach one it strips off the glossy finish.

DSC_0408.jpg

But there's still nothing like natural aging....

DSCN5014.jpg

• Like 1

Use "Sagrotan Schimmel-Frei" ;) it is with chlorine and works fine.

Thanks! How long do you have to put the insert in it? Mine has been soaking in there for 2 hours now - no effect at all. I seriously doubt it will work...

Edit: Ouch! 15 minutes after I wrote this the insert was WHITE! Damn, that's really hard to control... I didn't see any effect for two hours and then the whole paint faded away in 15 minutes... well, I guess I have to try another bezel... black_eye.gif

Mine looks kind of "inversed" now... I'll post a pic later.

Edited by Whatever123