When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling stem tube

flash515

Posted this in general section so I will try over here

I have a Breitling Bentley rep and the crown just barely engages the threads on the stem tube. I have taken the o ring out of the base of the crown to get it to engage but would like to replace the stem tube. I think its screwed in but not sure, measures about 4.2mm to 4.22mm od of the treads and only protrudes 1.5mm. There is an o ring in the stem tube at the outer end and I believe also the inner end. Looks like a torx screw with the o ring out but it doesnt fit the sizes I have. I am mechanically inclined but a newb in watch repair.

Questions are

Where can I get parts I have only been able to find Rolex stems which thread in I assume this one also threads in if so is it right hand or left hand and will it require heat to get it out. ie likely to be loctite etc on it.

Can I use a Rolex stem tube if so which one should I order.

thanks

Posted this in general section so I will try over here

I have a Breitling Bentley rep and the crown just barely engages the threads on the stem tube. I have taken the o ring out of the base of the crown to get it to engage but would like to replace the stem tube. I think its screwed in but not sure, measures about 4.2mm to 4.22mm od of the treads and only protrudes 1.5mm. There is an o ring in the stem tube at the outer end and I believe also the inner end. Looks like a torx screw with the o ring out but it doesnt fit the sizes I have. I am mechanically inclined but a newb in watch repair.

Questions are

Where can I get parts I have only been able to find Rolex stems which thread in I assume this one also threads in if so is it right hand or left hand and will it require heat to get it out. ie likely to be loctite etc on it.

Can I use a Rolex stem tube if so which one should I order.

thanks

You can have a watch smith install a gen crown and tube but there is no guarantee the correct size and shape crown for your rep is available from Breitling. Just do the best you can.

There was a project to find gen crowns for the SuperOcean Steelfish rep, but the correct piece just was simply not to be found. Most SOSF rep owners have stripped crowns.

Making progress on the stem tube. On mine at least it screws in and the thread is I believe a 3mm x .35 so off today to get a tap to run in the case as the new stem doesnt want to screw in at the moment but believe I can just chase the threads with a tap. The crown has a 4.5mm thread so I have a rolex 4.5mm x 3mm x .35 thread in stem tube. Hopefully today should have it fixed.

Edited by flash515

Making progress on the stem tube. On mine at least it screws in and the thread is I believe a 3mm x .35 so off today to get a tap to run in the case as the new stem doesnt want to screw in at the moment but believe I can just chase the threads with a tap. The crown has a 4.5mm thread so I have a rolex 4.5mm x 3mm x .35 thread in stem tube. Hopefully today should have it fixed.

that should work as long as there's metal left. One thing you never want to do with delicate threads is force it if it hits resistance. Just be careful and you should be OK.

Yeah success in repairing. This is my first watch repair so I am happy. Used a Rolex style stem tube 4.5mm x 3.mm the stem tube is a 3mm x .35 thread pitch so bought a tap and rechased the threads, also had to use a counter sink and hand reamed the edge as there is a taper on the underside of the 4.5mm thread so it would sit flush in the case. The stock rep tube I took out is brass so no wonder they strip easily and the replacement is stainless steel so don't think I will have to do it again.

post-37518-0-41312100-1308950261.jpg

post-37518-0-56285600-1308950342.jpg

post-37518-0-29110900-1308950448.jpg

Edited by flash515

• 4 weeks later...