When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are the guarantees of the sellers here?

Akilles

Was just wondering. If you get trouble at day one with your watch or if you get it 5 month later what are the general guarantees our dealer have? I can guess that many of you (like me) have experienced a problem and the option to fix it is to ship it back to the dealer and YOU will pay for the shipping costs both way that sometimes means half the cost of the actual watch OR you fix it youself if you can manage!? And by the way, how many QC-pics do you generally recieves. Josh are good and send at least 6 good pics.

These (only 2!!!) pictures here are QC-pictures I just recieved from a dealer here. It's not a joke! They send a so called QC-picture of an already broken watch where the date-frame is LOOSE in the dial.

Even if I get a new one I can only assume that this watch will be a problem in the future!?

post-16774-0-65854300-1309428927.jpg

post-16774-0-50898600-1309428946.jpg

Although there are some standards you do need to check with the dealer. On the 5 month question the answer is no. A dealer has no idea what you have done with the watch in the interim. People do all kinds of things to their watches - take them swimming when they are not waterproof, etc. in terms of problems when the watch arrives the dealer will usually take it back. I haven't had a problem for a long time but normally I pay shipping one way and the dealer sends the new one on his nickel. And bear in mind that gen watches are priced not only to take into account development, marketing and manufacturing but also warranty protection. Many dealers do take customs risk but you have to prove to them it is stuck in customs and he will wait weeks before reshipping a new one as customs can tie up your piece (depending on country) for weeks. As for the QC pics below that is just embarrassing but at least you had QC pics to notice it before it was sent. And no I don't think the dealer was trying to stick you with a bad piece but he should look before he snaps the pic. :whistling: And he should be embarrassed. :bangin:

Lol.. Where did you order that from?

I'll tell you, I'm not experienced like some of the guys here, but it seems to work out finding a good dealer and paying a bit extra for it. I try to stay away from the cheaper reps and movements, and deals that seems too good to be true. Sometimes you're taking a risk with cheap watches and small dealers.

Lol.. Where did you order that from?

I'll tell you, I'm not experienced like some of the guys here, but it seems to work out finding a good dealer and paying a bit extra for it. I try to stay away from the cheaper reps and movements, and deals that seems too good to be true. Sometimes you're taking a risk with cheap watches and small dealers.

I've bought so many nice watches from smaller off-forum dealers over the years, that I can't say anything other than the complete opposite. Any issues got taken care of as wold be expected, and issues were relatively rare (maybe 3-4 out of dozens of purchasses) To be fair, most of the issues I have had with watches have been self-inflicted by bungling attempts to learn more about how they work :bangin: One of those 'small dealers' is now a forum dealer... Yesterday's puppy, can become tomorrow's Big Dog :victory:

One of those 'small dealers' is now a forum dealer... Yesterday's puppy, can become tomorrow's Big Dog :victory:

It is funny to think about a few years back when everyone other than Connie and Paul were smaller dealers operating out of photobuckets. And other than those two every other dedicated website was a scam. Then again the concept of a factory was 50 women in a basement and the definition of QC was whether the watch ever arrived. :lol:

True, but if you're relatively new are you going to take the chance? Sometimes a dealer has to build a reputation. There are enough people that come in here complaining about watches they have never received, or have been scammed out of money, or got crap from unknown dealers instead of some known reputable ones. Everyone has a chance to prove themselves and grow, but I could do without the headaches.

True, but if you're relatively new are you going to take the chance? Sometimes a dealer has to build a reputation. There are enough people that come in here complaining about watches they have never received, or have been scammed out of money, or got crap from unknown dealers instead of some known reputable ones. Everyone has a chance to prove themselves and grow, but I could do without the headaches.

I did... :pardon:

I think as long as a person uses a little common sense, there's no issue using off forum dealers. On the site I've primarily used, CQout, anyone getting more than three negative feedbacks gets bounced. My very first rep was from a 'scam site' called EuroFakes. I paid about $800 for a 16610 Submariner which was said to have a Swiss movement. Okay, I got my pants pulled down over the price, but, I did get exactly what I paid for... I just wish I hadn't sold it for peanuts as I couldn't guarantee the movement was Swiss (but the buyer confirmed it was)... Good news for the buyer, bad news for me :bangin:

It is funny to think about a few years back when everyone other than Connie and Paul were smaller dealers operating out of photobuckets. And other than those two every other dedicated website was a scam. Then again the concept of a factory was 50 women in a basement and the definition of QC was whether the watch ever arrived. :lol:

Sorry I missed your comment before, but absolutely, things have come a long way just in the few years I've been collecting :drinks:

Thanks for the answers.

Is it standard for the buyer to pay for the shipping costs if the watch goes bad within a few weeks?? No watchsmith here in Sweden wants to touch a replica so it's hard when a watch has gone bad.

Sadly, yes it is... Not particularly cool or fair, but it's just how the game is played :pardon:

With replica watches it is a big plus when the dealer will even consider accepting the watch back after a certain amount of time has lapsed.

Customers pay for a working watch and when they receive one that should be the end of the contract as there are so many things the customer might do to cause the fault themselves.

This includes dropping or showering with the watch or opening it up to do their own mod work.

Ken

With replica watches it is a big plus when the dealer will even consider accepting the watch back after a certain amount of time has lapsed.

Customers pay for a working watch and when they receive one that should be the end of the contract as there are so many things the customer might do to cause the fault themselves.

This includes dropping or showering with the watch or opening it up to do their own mod work.

Ken

It's sad to think that there are folks here who would do their own work on a watch, then try to send it back as non-working. I remember re-building the auto-wind on a movement which self-destructed just so the dealer wouldn't think I was sending back a watch which I had been messing about with : :black_eye: (it was going back because of a bracelet failure, nothing movement related)

The thing is that even with accessories when I first started selling the factories were saying they only accepted fault if shown within 4 days of delivery.

It took me a long time to convince them that this was impracticable.

Ken

The thing is that even with accessories when I first started selling the factories were saying they only accepted fault if shown within 4 days of delivery.

It took me a long time to convince them that this was impracticable.

Ken

Really? I have to admit, personally, I would consider that a reasonable time to detect a fault in an item. A friend of Emily's recently bought a load of clothes (from a budget store) for a night out, wore them out with all the labels in, then tried to return them :shock::thumbdown: ure, if something develops a fault pretty quickly, then fine, it's not fit for the intended purpose (I had to return a pair of shoes once as the soles split after walking a mile...) but some people really do just take the [censored] with things :(

Firstly I'd like to say a big Hi to everyone!

I recently bought 6 watches off a 'Trusted dealer' and was sent the 'QC' pics. One of the watches I received (Oris Divers) had the worse damage to the side of the case (not shown in QC pics) that I have ever seen on any watch and another (Rolex Datejust) had a printing fault on the dial. I contacted the dealer and he sent me a new case and a new dial.

I can only assume that the photos are not 'QC' pics but quite simply they are photos of watches which have undergone no quality control whatsoever.

The pics are almost like a kiddies competition - 'Spot the Faulty Watch' :(

HI to everyone

i agree with the last answer its just a pic of the right watch you want to buy and if its ticking it gets sent out. thats my oppinion as ive bought of trusted dealers whom have good reviews sadley to find that faults that were reported by them have not been fixed and item just sent out. i dont [censored] them off just wont buy from them again and this wasnt a cheapo either. they have all got to start somewhere but they have to earn your trust aswell..........

That is very surprising. QC pics should be of your watch - specifically yours. I don't buy a lot but the two I have bought recently from the larger dealers here were the same watch. In fact on one I elected to wait for a different piece rather than take what was originally offered and on both watches I got that exact watch. If you really feel you didn't then ask the dealer to explain - if they originally promised QC pics of course. You do have their original pics and you can snap a pic or two of what you got.

I am a believer in full information. People should know when you have had a good experience as well as a bad one. If a dealer is legitimately ignoring his own QC system while claiming to offer it the membership should know it so they can decide whether they want to deal with them.