When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new SOH franken project

cougaree

Well, it would be great if I can find a gen dw and crown, or maybe I'm asking too much. If you know where I can get them, please do let me know :)

I bought this SOH v2 from one of our respected member half year ago. I didn't do much except replacing the existing hands with a new set (you can't get them now... I wish I bought more of them), AR the crystal and install gen ETA movement.

Now, I just got a gen dial, so it's going in. The rep dial seems to me is slightly larger. It measures about 33.4mm in diameter where the gen dial is roughly around 33.3mm. I think it will fit without any problems. Hopefully I won't see any movement holder exposed.

Enjoy the pictures!

baf26fef.jpg

bd272785.jpg

b6b69faf.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I did. I installed a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement inside. By the way, news flash - the gen dial fits the case and the gen dw works too! Will post pictures once I get the watch back.

That's not a news flash. Like I said, the Breitling calibre 17 movement is nothing but a modified and COSC certified ETA 2824. Of course it'll work with a gen dial. :victory:

Well, I'm not too sure about that on the dial. The dial on the SOH is actually a lot bigger than the movement. The movement is centerend by a big thick ring. I was just afraid that either the case is too small (rep dial too small... i.e. Navitimer Serie Special) or too big, so the gen dial cannot be perfectly fit. I said news flash because I didn't think anybody else here has tried to mod the SOH before.

Guys,

Mike is the one putting everything together for me. I have thrown him some big challenges... He does excellent work!

Thanks Mike!

No need to thank me man, I am just having fun around here...except work keeps getting in the way. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Glad you like the work, that is all that matters. I like being challenged. I was just real happy that I got the date wheel sorted out...first time for everything I guess. :drinks:

Yeah, it's crazy. The gen dw was also packed a rep Navitimer bracelet without any separation... from the mail. I'm just glad that the text are ok and there are no scratches on the dw paint.

To others:

These are some work in progress pics (courtesy of BikeMike). I'm a very picky person on how parallel the hands to the dial is and Mike does very awesome work! Enjoy!

msg-10541-0-56107200-1312249192.jpg

msg-10541-0-66360800-1312249204.jpg

By the way, the Swiss ETA movement has H4 second/minute/hour wheels installed to make the separation of the hands nice.

FYI, this mod requires turning down of the "shoulder" on the hour wheel. If not, the shoulder will rub on the back side of the dial causing the movement to stop.