When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sell half of my watches to fund a gen Rolex - would you do it?

Whatever123

I know what I'll do: I'll put some of my reps up for sale but I will only sell them if I have good enough offers for all of them. So I won't sell my best two pieces while the others remain on the shelf and I don't raise enough funds for the Rollie... :black_eye:

Unfortunately the USD - EUR exchange rate is very bad atm... so I'm afraid the prices will be too high for non-Europeans... OK, we'll see. I'll shoot some pics later today and try to get the sales thread up.

I've contemplated doing the same from time to time... But ultimately decided against. Kind of hard to give up the pieces that I have, especially after all the time spent in collecting parts, researching and building.

I suppose one of these days, I'll just have to take a break from project pieces and just buy that one watch that I always seem to pass up.

Only one person can answer this question for you, and that's you. For me, it'd be a tough call if my only two choices were a collection of reps that I enjoyed versus a nice gen. The GMT IIc is indeed a nice piece. Perhaps the nicest in the current line of redesigned Rollies. But why do you have so many reps? For me the answer is because I haven't yet found one watch that can replace most of my collection. The GMT IIc will be an enjoyable piece for some time, no doubt. It will lose some value, but should hold fairly steady. So if you're super careful and baby it, you'd able to recoup most of the investment some day if you ever became tired of it and decided to sell. But, then, those reps you gave up, especially the rarer frankens which can be a real adventure to put together, will be gone for good in all likelihood. If that's OK, then go for it. But it's definitely food for thought, I would think.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't buy a Rolex... imo they're just too expensive at the moment (yeah I know, probably they will only get more expensive...).

I couldn't raise enough funds to buy a gen GMT Master. I would have had to sell too many of my watches and on second thoughts I decided I didn't want to do that. Anyway, I sold 4 reps and a Seiko I didn't wear and bought a gen Breitling Superocean II Red Abyss. Only one year old with box + papers in very good condition and on bracelet for almost half the price of a new one. Pretty good deal I think and I have to say I really love the watch. It's a great summer watch and wears extremely comfortable on the Pro II bracelet.

I'm surprised that so many members here don't like the SO II - to me it's the perfect summer watch! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Bad iPhone pic:

0150ba67.jpg

I did the opposite. I was always too nervous to wear my sub. found these sites then found someone willing to pay for what I was asking so I sold it. it wasn't worth it to me, and it was probably only me you guys, and a few friends that even knew it was real to begin with.

I was able to buy several reps, and also a carbon road bike as well. so I'm happy. I do miss the workhorse movement though.

• 3 weeks later...