When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a good motorcycle deal?

seventhexile

I am completely ignorant when it comes to what is / isn't a good deal for motorcycles.

Their prices on craigslist vary drastically (as do the people selling them haha).

Anyways, I've been talking to a lady who is selling her 2005 yzf 600 for $3,000

I'm also talking to a guy who has a 2000 gsx-r600 for $2200

Both are in great condition (apparently) - I'm not a mechanic nor do I know about bike maintenance :(

But they both have paperwork from their shops showing the latest service / inspections passed.

I don't have a pic of the gsxr on my cell, but here is a pic of the yzf:

a68988b2-9817-4fc2.jpg

You can't see it, but there is a dent on the exhaust, just ascetic damage.

-----

Apparently there isn't a 'private sale' option in Kelly blue book - so I'm not sure how to figure out what good prices are on bikes 0_o

What do you guys think about the 2 I listed above?

I'm going to go check out the yzf this sun - what should I be looking/listening for?

I am completely ignorant when it comes to what is / isn't a good deal for motorcycles.

Their prices on craigslist vary drastically (as do the people selling them haha).

Anyways, I've been talking to a lady who is selling her 2005 yzf 600 for $3,000

I'm also talking to a guy who has a 2000 gsx-r600 for $2200

Both are in great condition (apparently) - I'm not a mechanic nor do I know about bike maintenance :(

But they both have paperwork from their shops showing the latest service / inspections passed.

I don't have a pic of the gsxr on my cell, but here is a pic of the yzf:

a68988b2-9817-4fc2.jpg

You can't see it, but there is a dent on the exhaust, just ascetic damage.

-----

Apparently there isn't a 'private sale' option in Kelly blue book - so I'm not sure how to figure out what good prices are on bikes 0_o

What do you guys think about the 2 I listed above?

I'm going to go check out the yzf this sun - what should I be looking/listening for?

That doen't look like it has factory bar ends or tail fairing, so I would say the bike has probably been dropped. The GSXR is probably going to be a lot nicer even though it's older. On girl bikes look out to see if it's been lowered because that could put wear on the suspension, and look for damage, or swapped parts as they are usually dropped a lot. Generally make sure it starts up quick, doesn't smoke, doesn't ping, clunk and rattle.. see if it has it's services and the mileage.

What do you ride now?

That doen't look like it has factory bar ends or tail fairing, so I would say the bike has probably been dropped. The GSXR is probably going to be a lot nicer even though it's older. On girl bikes look out to see if it's been lowered because that could put wear on the suspension, and look for damage, or swapped parts as they are usually dropped a lot. Generally make sure it starts up quick, doesn't smoke, doesn't ping, clunk and rattle.. see if it has it's services and the mileage.

What do you ride now?

Thank you so much for the info.

I currently don't ride.. So I'm looking for my first bike.

I've ridden for fun in the past and ridden dirt-bikes when i was younger - but it was quite a while ago.

(I got a pic of the GSXR)

a68989c3-b67b-da49.jpg

a68989c3-b694-9ec9.jpg

Edited by seventhexile

Well the YZF and GSXR are two totally different animals. Be sure to check with you insurance company on the rate as these will come up very differently. The GSXR is a super sport and as such will cost you. The YZF is sport touring and is a much lower rate. Perhaps not a factor in your consideration but thought it worth mentioning.

As for the price vs. condition. I can almmost guarantee that GSXR has been dropped. Young owner, non factory paint job (GSXR never came all black in any year) my bet it has been beaten on and dropped. Probably looks OK now but I would be cautious without in person inspection and verification. The YZF is a much more sensible bike if you are just getting started. You may want to look up some brand or model specific forums to get the best feedback you can regarding these bikes and their prices.

Well the YZF and GSXR are two totally different animals. Be sure to check with you insurance company on the rate as these will come up very differently. The GSXR is a super sport and as such will cost you. The YZF is sport touring and is a much lower rate. Perhaps not a factor in your consideration but thought it worth mentioning.

As for the price vs. condition. I can almmost guarantee that GSXR has been dropped. Young owner, non factory paint job (GSXR never came all black in any year) my bet it has been beaten on and dropped. Probably looks OK now but I would be cautious without in person inspection and verification. The YZF is a much more sensible bike if you are just getting started. You may want to look up some brand or model specific forums to get the best feedback you can regarding these bikes and their prices.

Thank you so much - I totally spaced on insurance differences!

I just assumed in my head any "sporty looking bike" would be the same for insurance!

Hm makes sense that the gsxr was dropped - that would definitely explain the all black paint (I've been reading on some forums thats the fastest way to cover up damage.

I would go whit the gixxer if the insurance company is ok whit it price wise, its pretty easy animal to tame and not to hard on the wrists and back.

the gixxer cost the same as my insurance on my current bike :shock: