When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who else make wonderful modified 3714-01

gamakichi

Hi I am new here.

Please recommend me anyone else that make a good modified IWC 3714-01 or 3714-38

Gen Movement, dial, hands and inner and outer ar coating?

I saw alot of nice work of 3714-01 by certain member and wonder if anybody else had a better luck ordering from a different individual.

Thank You,

gamakichi

I'm also new, and I'm thinking of getting a 3714-01 as my first rep :)

But from what I've read the movement is a ticking bomb-- I would still like to have one though and make a franken :p

I'm not familiar with the modding procedures though; is a frankened watch will be supplied or you have to mod it yourself? PM me if the reply is not appropriate here thanks!

Here is the thread we have been looking for:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-and-improved-seconds-6-80992.html

Conclusion is that the new movement is better than the old one, but far from perfect.

It can be made to work, but will cost (service + graphite treatment) and may need regulular maintenance (Graphite does not last long).

Sort of good news.

Here is the thread we have been looking for:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-and-improved-seconds-6-80992.html

Conclusion is that the new movement is better than the old one, but far from perfect.

It can be made to work, but will cost (service + graphite treatment) and may need regulular maintenance (Graphite does not last long).

Sort of good news.

Note that this was a tear-down of the Daytona movement, which has a different configuration from the Portu movement.

N,

Can you be more specific.

The Daytona and the Portu both have constant sec @ 6.

I am not sure what you are referring to.

And just to clarify, MBJ and All.

The latest movements have additional jewels (sapphires) which reduce friction.

In the previous movements, the pivots were pressed in place (no jewels used = greater friction), and graphite was used to reduce friction in this case.

For those of you who don't know, oil is dropped into a jewel and is held there with capillary attraction.

Once this area becomes contaminated, the oil will run out.

Graphite will break down and become a contaminate and that I why I do not recommend this.

If you have an older movement and use graphite, it will need to be serviced every 12 - 18 months ... basically cleaned, lubed, and replace the graphite.

The latest movements have more jewels to reduce friction, and graphite is not necessary.

Even with servicing, these are not Swiss movements, but they will prove to me much more reliable.

So, if you have a newer watch, or are going to buy a new one, know that it is best to get it serviced.

Also sharp impacts like hammering or tennis can damage this watch.

G also recommends hacking the watch when you are not using it (pull the stem out to stop the movement), and do not keep it on a watchwinder.

Good find, MBJ!

Mike

N,

Can you be more specific.

The Daytona and the Portu both have constant sec @ 6.

I am not sure what you are referring to.

Sure Mike,

The transfer gears of the Daytona and Portu movemements are actually quite different. I'll use a couple of borrowed pictures to illustrate.

Here are the gears of the Daytona (thin top plate has been removed, to reveal the transfer gears sitting on the bottom plate).

DSCF1289.jpg

And here is the same view on the Portu movement.

img1126gt8.jpg

As you can see, there are quite a few less gears on the Portu, which equates to less drag on the movement.

Sure Mike,

The transfer gears of the Daytona and Portu movemements are actually quite different. I'll use a couple of borrowed pictures to illustrate.

Here are the gears of the Daytona (thin top plate has been removed, to reveal the transfer gears sitting on the bottom plate).

DSCF1289.jpg

And here is the same view on the Portu movement.

img1126gt8.jpg

As you can see, there are quite a few less gears on the Portu, which equates to less drag on the movement.

I admit not to know anything about movements, but perhaps this is my chance.

On the top picture I can follow the transfer from 3 to 6.

On the bottom I can see nothing at 3 and nothing at 6.

What am I missing?

This is all getting very interesting.

For the first time - and after myriads of postings - I am beginning to understand what is going on with the transfer gearing.

Having seen that the Daytona movement is not the same as the Portu movement, I have a couple of questions: Is there also a new and improved version of the Daytona movement?

And where does the Ingi @6 movement fit in? Is that a third version?

I admit not to know anything about movements, but perhaps this is my chance.

On the top picture I can follow the transfer from 3 to 6.

On the bottom I can see nothing at 3 and nothing at 6.

What am I missing?

The design of both Daytona and Portu movements are the same when it comes to transferring the running seconds.

Portu

- Uses original location for the minute counter (@12)

- Transfers running seconds from 9 to 6

- Does not use the 12h counter

Daytona

- Uses non of the original positions of the counters

- Seconds from 9 to 6 (like Portu)

- Minutes from 12 to 3

- Hours from 6 to 9

The design of both Daytona and Portu movements are the same when it comes to transferring the running seconds.

Portu

- Uses original location for the minute counter (@12)

- Transfers running seconds from 9 to 6

- Does not use the 12h counter

Daytona

- Uses non of the original positions of the counters

- Seconds from 9 to 6 (like Portu)

- Minutes from 12 to 3

- Hours from 6 to 9

Many, many thanks. Great stuff.

If I read you correctly though it almost makes the Daytona a worse movement than the Portu?? Somehow I seem to have heard more bad news the other way round.