When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Boredom... I has it.

ubiquitous

Jeks - You were batting 1000 until you threw in the combo machine - they are usually a PITA...

I have converted the small HF lathe you pictured to CNC and I have a larger conventional. The small lathe pictured would be all somebody would need to do watch related stuff like bezels, movement spacers, etc. The small mill would be very nice for CG work, lug holes, etc.

The sneaky part about machine tools is you almost have to spend as much on tooling as you did for the machine!

I have the little HF 7x10 CNC conversion mounted on a one drawer service cart which provides a place to put the electronics, computer, etc. It's not massive enough, or fast jogging enough, to cause any instability. I can roll it around wherever I need to to get it out of the way when not in use. One could do something similar with the little mill and even share electronics and controller...

post-24124-0-74924600-1311168409.jpg

Ubi, your knowledge is invaluable on these boards and your work quite literally inspirational (as I look at my highly modded 4th gen Po in my left wrist)

I go through the same ups and downs, I swear I'll never own another rep, then see what can be done with mods on a different watch and off I go again. It's a hobby but bloody expensive!

wOlf - They would be great for doing watch/case work and other small projects. I think the lathe is the "updated" version of mine and the color makes me think it might be a re-labeled Jet lathe so the QC is probably a notch above your typical Harbor Freight variety. The mill looks a lot like this HF model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

On a positive note, if you've hit the wall with watches other companies have made and done it all, perhaps the next exciting challenge could be to create your own?

If a Patek or a Daytona is a legacy to the kids, surely an Ubi original would be all the more special.

(OT: If you're doing Disney again 'Ridemax' is a must if you haven't before (although it boils down to two strategies, getting there first thing, and knowing that FastPasses don't expire). We did Disney this summer and we didn't queue at all.)

Anyway, here's raising a glass to your next inspiration! :drinks: