When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 292 problem with the strap bars

ilanB

Hi,

I got the great watch and after one day the bar got loose, I panicked first but then with the advise of the more experienced guys here I realized it is just a matter of locking the screws.

well...

What ever I do I can't fix them - they are constantly loose. I took them out and reinserted without a strap to make sure they are in place but still it is loose and will not hold. The screws in place (all four) but the bars keep coming out. The screw tighten all the way but still the bar move and slip out.

Since I got the strap I want, any ideas on how to fix this (even a permanent way) before I send it back to the dealer ? He offered to repair it but the shipping back and forth might be problematic as we all know.

Thanks in advance,

Ilan

i noticed this problem with my 292 when i received it from the dealer. The ceramic outer case separated from the metal core and even though the screws were tight the lug wires would come off.

I immeadetly sent it back as this was unacceptable for a watch that went through qc.

where did you buy it from?

Please dont take this the wrong way mate...

But there is a certain knack to doing the lugs on these Rads..... if you notice there is a rut in the bar where it sits in the case.... the screw catches on these .... if you push the bar too far in or not far enough then the lugs become loose and eventually slip out... this is very common with the rep lugs as they vary with screw lengths, size of ruts and position etc...

I found I needed to tighten the screw slightly.. then jiggle the lug bar in and out slightly till I felt the screw was looser.. ie where it marries with the rut... then I tightened it..

I really solved the problem with Panatime's replacement set... these are much better made and come with gaskets... not sure if he does PVD to match or if you need to you can mod with PVD or Linseed Oil mod ... the latter being cheaper and easy to do at home :)

Apologies if you already know this and have tried it....

Of course if its a problem with screw length then get Panatimes set and just use the screws :)

Please dont take this the wrong way mate...

But there is a certain knack to doing the lugs on these Rads..... if you notice there is a rut in the bar where it sits in the case.... the screw catches on these .... if you push the bar too far in or not far enough then the lugs become loose and eventually slip out... this is very common with the rep lugs as they vary with screw lengths, size of ruts and position etc...

I found I needed to tighten the screw slightly.. then jiggle the lug bar in and out slightly till I felt the screw was looser.. ie where it marries with the rut... then I tightened it..

I really solved the problem with Panatime's replacement set... these are much better made and come with gaskets... not sure if he does PVD to match or if you need to you can mod with PVD or Linseed Oil mod ... the latter being cheaper and easy to do at home :)

Apologies if you already know this and have tried it....

Of course if its a problem with screw length then get Panatimes set and just use the screws :)

No worries,

I learn a new thing every day here :-)

I will get the panatime set - just for future use as Andrew asked me to send back the watch and I don't want to play around with it and loose the option to get it fixed "under warranty".

I will need to think of a way to make them match the PVD - I don't know what is the Linseed oil mod (newbee as I am).

Thanks for the great advices

Does the Panatime lug set work with the new H-factory Rads (288 & 292)? I know they work fine for the older Rad cases but I haven't seen anywhere that they fit the new H factory cases. If anyone knows for sure, please let us know.

Yes mate.... I have them on my 288 :)

I ordered them for my 292K so will know in few days :winkiss:

Andrew as usual is very responsive, we agreed to try the screw set first (save me and him the hassle of shipping back and forth)and if that will not work to send the watch back.

well the good news panatime lug set fit the 292K . They arrived and fit perfectly (screws and bars - but they are not PVD)

the bad news is that when I took a closer look I felt I can move the watch back in and out from the case a little (when I hold the back and crystal they move together slightly in and out of the case ) so even if the screw is fixed the bar will get loose.

Off to Andrew it goes :(

The Rads 45-47-48 are 27mm at the lugs.... the buckles vary..

If its a Rad BDR deployant .... then its 27/20

If its a Rad BA buckle its generally 27/22 or 27/24 (47s only)

26 will fit but there is a fractional gap....

292... I would think is 27/22.... well I know its 27mm just not sure on the buckle size depends what the rep guys are doing...

Rad 44 are 26/20, Rad 42 are 25/20 Rad 40 are 23/20 Rad 38 are 22/20

Gen 292 comes on a 27/22 Black Calf leather strap

not sounding good on this latest batch is it - assuming that it is NOT a case of what PeteM decribed earlier - but sounds unlikely that so many have the same 'dont know how to tighten a screw' issue?

Putting me off this watch now - it's the chat about the 'outer ceramic' moving away from the case that bothers me?

Any of you Paneristi have this watch and understand what this comment means? :whistling:

I found the source of the problem on mine, the screw has bad thread, that's why it can't tighten properly!

I took out the other screws and found only 1 had thread all the way to the top of the screw. The other 2 screws, thread was worn out and not all the way to the top. I could keep turning it and it would not get tight!

Also the lug PVD coating is very badly done!

I agree to the petition for H-factory to rectify this problem and sell us the screws and lugs!

Waiting for my screws to arrive but unfortunately, lugs are not available for sale from the maker! How sad!

Those lug screws can be a right bugger. I used superglue on one of mine... had to, really - the threads in the second-hand watch were stripped. Threadlock is a good option on a new watch.

However.. here is my real tip - most straps are made to fit standard springbars or Pan bolts. So the Rad wires rattle around in the strap and look a bit silly.

I solved this by inserting a length of used ball-pen refill in the strap. I cut it a little shorter than the width of the strap.

The result is that the Rad wires are a snug fit in the strap, will never damage it. and that the fix is completely invisible.

Happy timekeeping,

Clive

• 1 month later...