When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6263 vs Gen Daytona: Photo Comparison (UPDATED 7/31)

lhooq

SECOND ADDENDUM

In the OP, I mentioned how I regretted not being able to take a clear shot of the cases in profile. I'd like to rectify that now.

Lightning strikes twice, and I saw Mr. 6263 at my watchsmith's again. I had my camera but not my Daytonas so a direct comparison under similar lightning isn't possible. I did try to match the angles when I got home, though.

Gen at bottom:

i-ZxXmxPF-X3.jpg

i-7cpCd9J-X3.jpg

i-q3HV3K7-X3.jpg

i-SC6nJzk-X3.jpg

i-qkHhcpg-X3.jpg

i-N3tC2Fc-X3.jpg

It's worth noting the slightly higher crown and pusher positions on the gen. The thinner mid-section is also easier to detect in the low-angle shots.

The lighting of the rep shots makes the bezel lip look thinner than it really is. If you look at pictures in the OP, the DW bezel is a near-exact match to the gen in profile. Compare it with the thin-rimmed bezel on dmacnz's cartel 6263.

Gen on right:

i-ZwWSFv6-X3.jpgi-VPTrQtn-X3.jpg

As previously mentioned, the lug tips on the gen are wider. Surprisingly, the DW is too thick on the crown side, yet too thin on the right.

Finally, if you're wondering why the rep 6263 has a straight-brushed finish... It was a poorly researched mod! Of course, a gen owner may have had a watchsmith brush the caseback for whatever reason, but it's something that's generally seen more on 6262s and 6264s. As always, there are no hard rules when it comes to vintage Rolex.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for this photo comparisons (free bump to re-found this thread easily !) :)

It's a mine of informations !

I will attempt to use your photos soon to make a comparison between :

- 2nd generation DW case 6263/5

- 3st generation DW case 6263/5

- past generation (?) Phong case 6239/40

- current generation Phong case 6263/5

- and the gen 6263 case in your pictures

R.

• 7 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...