When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with a tattoo idea! :)

seventhexile

is nothing more than an initial outline,

Yes understand, but i thought that when you went to a tattooist they dont do an initial outline, it was one go and thats it ,apart from the transfer or free hand. Oh and the colouring.

I know if its complex you have to have multiple visits. I have eight on both arms and now always wear long sleeves if i go out, i cant stand them, how stupid i must have been in early 20s, or as seventhexcile puts it a pr!ck.

Oh, seventhexile you've been a member a while i see, why dont you tattoo your member status to orange.

Yes understand, but i thought that when you went to a tattooist they dont do an initial outline, it was one go and thats it ,apart from the transfer or free hand. Oh and the colouring.

I know if its complex you have to have multiple visits. I have eight on both arms and now always wear long sleeves if i go out, i cant stand them, how stupid i must have been in early 20s, or as seventhexcile puts it a pr!ck.

It really does depend on the size and complexity of a tattoo. With larger pieces, artists will often lay down initial outlines as a kind of permanent stencil, rather than having to re-apply a stencil each time. Freehanding is definitely the easiest way to go with a large piece, as it allows the artist to just 'work', and it doesn't matter how many sessions are needed, as they can just start working fresh each time, but, if the design has very specific details (such as the scale detailing on my dragon, which is not the standard scale pattern) to save lengthy drawing sessions, a transfer is quicker, but getting a stencil to match up again can be incredibly difficult/near impossible depending on the area being tattooed, so an initial outline can be the way to overcome that. Another issue I had, is that the artist who did the initial work on the dragon, got his ass bent out of shape when he heard that someone had allowed me to use tattoo equipment (scared of competition) and I refused to let him tattoo me further, so I've been waiting for another artist to develop his skill sufficiently (and to have the spare time) to take over the project. Downside of which, is the dragon's lower claw hasn't been done, which would at least make that section of the design look more complete, regardless of the rest of the body being absent. It'll get finished in time though, once my friend gets the time to get his skills back up to par, as at the moment, he's had to deal with moving house and a pregnant fiance, so he hasn't had the time to be able to practice his tattooing :(

As you quite correctly say, if it's complex, it takes multiple sessions. As with the lotus I did on E's leg, we only had the time to do the outline, so next time we'll add shading, re-work and thicken any lines which need making bolder.

Have you considered having the tattoos covered up with new work? If the tattoos're older, they should be easier to cover somehow :)

@T,dully noted bro.:)As far as DTD go's,this scene with Salma Hayek make my nuts ache :wub: It's a well known fact that Quentin Tarantino has a severe foot fetish,do you think? :lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Dc-ixUZrs&feature=related @ sevenththeexile,good luck with your search,let us know how It turns out.:)Mike

:Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy:

I can't draw, but here I was just playing with style and colour.

post-14491-13124991884.jpg

Not happy with the face of this one but it gets the idea across :p

post-14491-131249921791.jpg

Looking good :good: I would suggest keeping the flower in the blue palette though, it makes a nice contrast compared to the yellow one, which kind of blurs more with the other color :)

• 1 month later...

Nice bro :thumbs:

Thanks, bro :drinks: It wasn't something I'd planned to do when I woke up today, but I was about to get some lunch, and just thought 'Why not...' so set everything up, and must say, I'm pretty pleased with the result :D Can't wait till there's more work done on the leg though, as I think it's going to blend in nicely with everything overall :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got my crap dragon and Chinese symbol covered up by a half sleeve japanese dragon and background.

I'm well delighted with it a I managed to get hold of a Japanese artist visiting my area for a few days.

1session......9 hours....no breaks...lots of pain LOL

Before

photo-158.jpg

After

photo-163.jpg

photo-162.jpg

photo-161.jpg

photo-160.jpg