When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with a tattoo idea! :)

seventhexile

Hi all I've been working on a little leg band and one of the parts of the band will be a Buddha Lion.

So far I've found two types of lion I like.

Both pics are just to get the idea across and are not what the actual tattoo would look like as they are not my drawings - I just photoshopped them a little and added the Enso (that little Zen brush stroke).

The first is the more traditional (often called a foo-dog in the west). I like the look of it - regal and the poster is that of a protector and guardian. IE, this Buddha Lion is protecting my path of understanding and progress.

a6898a98-af65-6881.jpg

The second is a more modern interpretation of a Buddha Lion.

I like the lion look to it (the face looks more lion to me then the more traditional interpretation).

I'm a little mixed on what I did with the Enso in this pic.

The Buddha Lion is holding it in his mouth. But this might be taken as the Lion attacking the Enso..

So again I'm a little mixed on it.

a6898a98-af81-5f81.jpg

What are your thoughts on the images?

Maybe I could some how combine the positives of both..

Anyways, sadly I'm not the most creative person (more technical then anything else). So please give me your thoughts :)

Edited by seventhexile

I think they both look fantastic, but if it's going to be as part of a band, design etiquette states that you really ought to go with the first one. If it was going to be a stand-alone piece, or even part of a big sleeve/thigh/back piece, then that is when the second image would be the appropriate design to go with :)

Thx guys :)

I think what I'll do is talk to an artist and see if I can get a traditional lion (like the first one, wrestling with the Enso like in the second pic)

I've four a way to better verbalized the meaning behind the tattoo.

---------

The elephant balancing on the enso, shows it's mastery over the path and the thus the mind.

It would be places on the outside of the leg and the Buddha lion would be placed on the inside of the leg.

It shows that while on the outside I might appear to have everything in order (like the enlightened elephant),

on the inside I'm still constantly wrestling with my mind/path, there will always be that internal struggle (the Buddha lion wrestling with the Enso).

The all seeing eyes facing behind are a reminder to learn from past experiences - remember the lessons we are taught and carry them with me on my journey.

The eyes facing forward, look to the future.

They remind us that our actions have consequences, both good and bad.

Look within and be mindful of those consequences before you take a step down that path / in that direction.

Thx guys :)

I think what I'll do is talk to an artist and see if I can get a traditional lion (like the first one, wrestling with the Enso like in the second pic)

I've four a way to better verbalized the meaning behind the tattoo.

---------

The elephant balancing on the enso, shows it's mastery over the path and the thus the mind.

It would be places on the outside of the leg and the Buddha lion would be placed on the inside of the leg.

It shows that while on the outside I might appear to have everything in order (like the enlightened elephant),

on the inside I'm still constantly wrestling with my mind/path, there will always be that internal struggle (the Buddha lion wrestling with the Enso).

The all seeing eyes facing behind are a reminder to learn from past experiences - remember the lessons we are taught and carry them with me on my journey.

The eyes facing forward, look to the future.

They remind us that our actions have consequences, both good and bad.

Look within and be mindful of those consequences before you take a step down that path / in that direction.

From what you've said, the lion wrestling with the enso is definitely more fitting than the lion with its foot on the enso, in a kind of protecting/masterful way, but, I still think that a design of that nature, would look better as a stand-alone piece, rather than incorporated into a band with the elephant on the enso and the eyes. As Ami James would say, you're trying to cram 80 lbs of [censored] into a 5lb bag... Not that I think your idea is [censored], far from it, infact, I think it's an awesome concept, and will result in some very meaningful artwork, I just think that as you want to represent so much, you may be putting too many details into the one tattoo. Along the same lines, Dan Gold has said that a tattoo [referring to a Japanese sleeve] "should be like a Chinese tea-party, where you have one host, and one or two guests...". So bearing that in mind, I would suggest having the elephant and lion as independent but complementary pieces. For example, I have the Arabic text 'jihad' (struggle) on the inside of my right arm, and the Japanese text 'giri' (burden of obligations) on the inside of my left arm, representing that one needs to struggle to maintain ones obligations, and even though the two words are not seen side by side, they still balance each other aesthetically :good:

From what you've said, the lion wrestling with the enso is definitely more fitting than the lion with its foot on the enso, in a kind of protecting/masterful way, but, I still think that a design of that nature, would look better as a stand-alone piece, rather than incorporated into a band with the elephant on the enso and the eyes. As Ami James would say, you're trying to cram 80 lbs of [censored] into a 5lb bag... Not that I think your idea is [censored], far from it, infact, I think it's an awesome concept, and will result in some very meaningful artwork, I just think that as you want to represent so much, you may be putting too many details into the one tattoo. Along the same lines, Dan Gold has said that a tattoo [referring to a Japanese sleeve] "should be like a Chinese tea-party, where you have one host, and one or two guests...". So bearing that in mind, I would suggest having the elephant and lion as independent but complementary pieces. For example, I have the Arabic text 'jihad' (struggle) on the inside of my right arm, and the Japanese text 'giri' (burden of obligations) on the inside of my left arm, representing that one needs to struggle to maintain ones obligations, and even though the two words are not seen side by side, they still balance each other aesthetically :good:

Definitely understand what you're saying :)

I think I'll have to tone down quite a bit given the size restrictions of my leg haha.

As far as the images being a band - I really mean it as 4 separate images on the leg.

So like the elephant on the outside, then an eye in the front, lion on the inside, eye on the back.

So a band in that aspect, but they would be stand alone images.

Is that kind of what you were talking about?

Definitely understand what you're saying :)

I think I'll have to tone down quite a bit given the size restrictions of my leg haha.

As far as the images being a band - I really mean it as 4 separate images on the leg.

So like the elephant on the outside, then an eye in the front, lion on the inside, eye on the back.

So a band in that aspect, but they would be stand alone images.

Is that kind of what you were talking about?

Ahhh, if the images aren't going to be 'pulled together' by something like some wind spirals for example, then yes, that would still be stand alone images :) When you said 'band', I was thinking a continuous, solid design :) Your enso has actually inspired my creativity in creating a design for myself :) I needed to include something in my bodysuit for one of my best friends (one of my best men when I got married) and as he's a serious gamer, I decided to use the PlayStation buttons as reference to him, but was stumped as to the best way to draw them up, given the bodysuit will be primarily traditional Japanese. But, once you put up the enso, I knew how to do it... What do you think?

DSCN4215.jpg

Design will be tattooed at about 3 inches tall, not as big as it looks on the screen :lol:

If I was talented I'd try and draw that for you haha. But if you made the buttons like brush strokes that would be in line with the Asian theme of ur current tattoos

That's a super nice gesture to ur mate.

Personal I love my best friend to death - but I'm still not at the point where I'd get a representative tattoo of them :p

Who knows though - I hear tattoos are addictive !

If I was talented I'd try and draw that for you haha. But if you made the buttons like brush strokes that would be in line with the Asian theme of ur current tattoos

Did you not see the pic above? That's precisely what I did do :lol:

That's a super nice gesture to ur mate.

Personal I love my best friend to death - but I'm still not at the point where I'd get a representative tattoo of them :p

The overall theme for my bodysuit is family, and there are already tattoos for my mother and father in law, my best friend/brother since childhood, my sister, and the mother of my godson. Other 'friend' references are going to my two other best men, and the friend who's letting me tattoo her with a full Japanese bodysuit as practice,in addition to other references for my wife, all my aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins :)

Who knows though - I hear tattoos are addictive !

That's one view, but a different viewpoint I read in an interview with a Japanese Master, was that serious tattoo collectors, are like any other art/collectible collectors, and where an addict will take the same drug over and over again to get the same result, a tattoo collector gets different tattoos, and once their collection is complete, they stop :whistling:;)

Did you not see the pic above? That's precisely what I did do :lol:

The overall theme for my bodysuit is family, and there are already tattoos for my mother and father in law, my best friend/brother since childhood, my sister, and the mother of my godson. Other 'friend' references are going to my two other best men, and the friend who's letting me tattoo her with a full Japanese bodysuit as practice,in addition to other references for my wife, all my aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins :)

That's one view, but a different viewpoint I read in an interview with a Japanese Master, was that serious tattoo collectors, are like any other art/collectible collectors, and where an addict will take the same drug over and over again to get the same result, a tattoo collector gets different tattoos, and once their collection is complete, they stop :whistling:;)

Haha ya the image didn't show up when I was viewing via tapatalk

When I went back on my comp just now it was there - I felt silly :p

TeeJay you are a wiser man then I :)

If at some point you have the time I'd love to see some of the work you have done.

I should mention while this tattoo is a newer creation in my mind - I've had another on I'd like to get done that I've wanted for about 6 years now. For some reason I'm still not ready to get it tattooed.

I know I want it, but I'd rather get the idea I spoke about in the earlier posts as a first tattoo. (almost like a tester tattoo)

The tattoo I've wanted for a long time.. Well I really have a connection to it and id haaaaaate for it to be messed up at all.

Silly I know.

The original tattoo idea I had that I'd like to get one day is:

the yellow river dragons gate story.

Long story short the idea is that if a koi can, through determination and hard work, swim up stream to dragons gate, at the top of the river it can be transformed into a dragon.

(very hard to do and only a handful succeed)

Essentially it would be a koi fish near the ankle, a dragon near the knee and 7 lines like rapids between the two ( and then make it all look like a river the koi was trying to swim up).

The 7 rapids are the 7 virtues - the idea is that, if I can live each day with the 7 virtues in mind and action - maybe through my hard work I'll become a dragon among men.

:p

Haha ya the image didn't show up when I was viewing via tapatalk

When I went back on my comp just now it was there - I felt silly :p

TeeJay you are a wiser man then I :)

If at some point you have the time I'd love to see some of the work you have done.

I should mention while this tattoo is a newer creation in my mind - I've had another on I'd like to get done that I've wanted for about 6 years now. For some reason I'm still not ready to get it tattooed.

I know I want it, but I'd rather get the idea I spoke about in the earlier posts as a first tattoo. (almost like a tester tattoo)

The tattoo I've wanted for a long time.. Well I really have a connection to it and id haaaaaate for it to be messed up at all.

Silly I know.

The original tattoo idea I had that I'd like to get one day is:

the yellow river dragons gate story.

Long story short the idea is that if a koi can, through determination and hard work, swim up stream to dragons gate, at the top of the river it can be transformed into a dragon.

(very hard to do and only a handful succeed)

Essentially it would be a koi fish near the ankle, a dragon near the knee and 7 lines like rapids between the two ( and then make it all look like a river the koi was trying to swim up).

The 7 rapids are the 7 virtues - the idea is that, if I can live each day with the 7 virtues in mind and action - maybe through my hard work I'll become a dragon among men.

:lol: Glad you like the design :drinks: I totally understand what you mean about your own tattoos, they have to be done when you're ready to get them done, especially a piece with such significance :) One suggestion, is rather than having the dragon and the koi, had you considered having a dragonkoi halfway up the rapids, showing its transition? Here's a link to a thread with some of my tattoo work, which also has pics of some of the stencils I've drawn for my bodysuit, but here's some of my more recent work :)

My friend, T's arm:

DSCN4035.jpg

My own work on my own legs: Kanji reading 'ai shimai' on right thigh and 'aniki' on the left.

DSCN4197.jpg

My friend, E's leg, freehand and linework, shading and color for another sitting: (The heart key and Dad were done by another artist, not me...)

DSCN4216.jpg

DSCN4222.jpg

Concept sketches for E's bodysuit:

DSCN4095.jpg

DSCN4184.jpg

[Edit to add]

I forgot to post this pic of my dragon, which I also drew the stencil for (still needs a lot of work till it'll be completed :cry2: )

228995_1970760115752_1445487067_31865893_3867254_n.jpg

That DAD key, and the the dragon that looks like a skinned pit bull with crabs legs. Keep practising like every body else says in your other thread. Im not really a tattoo lover

By all means you don't have to like tattoos..

However, you should really consider how rude your comment to TeeJay was.

If you don't like it and feel like sharing that with everyone - you could simply say: "It's not for me"

Gets your point across with out sounding like a pr!ck.

Edited by seventhexile

That DAD key, and the the dragon that looks like a skinned pit bull with crabs legs. Keep practising like every body else says in your other thread.

I clearly stated that the Dad key was done by another artist, so I couldn't really care what folks think of that, but for the record, it was done by someone while they were apprenticing. People who aren't into tattoos often fail to understand that it is not always the quality of the artwork which makes it significant to a person, but the content of the tattoo, and the person who did it. I'd rather (as would many serious tattoo collectors) get a meaningful tattoo from a friend, even if it was poorly executed, than a clinically perfect tattoo from an artist who was a snobby douche. However...I did clearly state that my dragon needs a lot more work before it will be finished. What you're looking at, is nothing more than an initial outline, and the clarity is not assisted by the fact the pic was taken using an effect on an iCamera.

Im not really a tattoo lover

To each his own...

Hey T,Im thinking about getting a tribal,say from shoulder to mid forearm. I have also been looking at some of these. Any suggestiong would be appreciated :drinks: Mike....PS.. Im leaning towards the Lizardman look :lol:

If that's the look you're going for, to each his own :lol: As for suggestions... A piece like that really needs to be freehanded onto the body so the tribal lines follow the contours of the muscles properly :)

If that's the look you're going for, to each his own :lol: As for suggestions... A piece like that really needs to be freehanded onto the body so the tribal lines follow the contours of the muscles properly :)

I have never had a tattoo. A good friend had a tribal tat done about three months ago,I have to addmit I really like It. Im going to visit the artist that did his and do some follow up research. Keep up the good work T,:)

I have never had a tattoo. A good friend had a tribal tat done about three months ago,I have to addmit I really like It. Im going to visit the artist that did his and do some follow up research. Keep up the good work T,:)

Thanks, bro, that's the plan :drinks: Definitely the best way to go with regards your friend's artist, and the one thing I would say with regards the design, is to make it significant to you, that way, it'll always be meaningful :) You might want to consider having a look for pictures of the tattoo Clooney had on his arm at the end of From Dusk Till Dawn, it's pretty much exactly what you've described :)

Thanks, bro, that's the plan :drinks: Definitely the best way to go with regards your friend's artist, and the one thing I would say with regards the design, is to make it significant to you, that way, it'll always be meaningful :) You might want to consider having a look for pictures of the tattoo Clooney had on his arm at the end of From Dusk Till Dawn, it's pretty much exactly what you've described :)

Awesome refrence to DTD,love that movie. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Indeed the tribal on Cloony Is the look that Im after :drinks:

Awesome refrence to DTD,love that movie. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Indeed the tribal on Cloony Is the look that Im after :drinks:

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It was watching that movie which made me first want to get a tattoo :lol: Till I was a bout 22, I was sure I'd never get a tattoo :whistling: If that's the kind of thing you're after, just print out the stills, take them to the guy, and say you want something like it (or an exact copy) and go from there :) You'll probably be looking at several sittings of several hours ;)