When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2824 & 2836 Keyless Issue

redwatch

I have two movements on my bench. One is an old 2836 that I have removed parts from in the past (mainly just the autowind mechanism). I found a 2824 in my parts bin so I thought I would check it out to see if it was working. The keyless appeared to be fine, but when in the winding position, it was stuck and wouldn't wind the movement. I disassembled the movement to get to the keyless works and reset it. Now it seems to be ok, but the odd thing is, when I am in the winding setting, the winding pinion is not engaging at all now. I took a look at the 2836 and it has the exact same problem. I know I have the correct stem, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the two pinions are not engaging to wind the movement.

Any top tips or tricks anyone would like to share with me?

Thanks!

Screenshot2011-07-26at93516AM.png

See picture

Thanks!!! That blasted spring! Here's where I went wrong. Reset the spring and all is good again :thumbsupsmileyanim:

b0a1511a.jpg

2fe26200.jpg

bccc19c8.jpg

All I need to do now is get some oils and oilers. That movement is diiirrrttyyy!!!! I think I may need to invest in an ultrasonic bath one of these days as well. :D

All I need to do now is get some oils and oilers. That movement is diiirrrttyyy!!!! I think I may need to invest in an ultrasonic bath one of these days as well. :D

Harbor Freight has a decent little Ultrasonic cleaner on the cheap. Let me see if I can find it...

Ahh. Here it is Harbor Freight Cleaner Works pretty good actually for the occasional cleaning.

Harbor Freight has a decent little Ultrasonic cleaner on the cheap. Let me see if I can find it...

Ahh. Here it is Harbor Freight Cleaner Works pretty good actually for the occasional cleaning.

That cleaner is $19 shipped at Meritline ... I post the link every time it goes on sale. That's about once a month. I have bought two, and yes they are great. 40Khz .. true ultrasonic.

edit: Way Hey! It's on sale right now, since I just checked. Here's the coupon code MLC725RN and here's the link MeritLine Sonic Wave @ 19 shipped with coupon code

Ignore the 3 minute timer and run it several times in a row.

and shame on Harbor Freight. If you're going to sell China goods, why double the fair price and rip off your customers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nicely done! Did those screwdrivers come in handy for that? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

HECK Yeah! I could not have done it with the computer repair screwdriver set I had. My wife was making fun of me last night after I yelled out a big YES!!!!

Red, thanks man. I mean it.

No if we could get this article on a Swiss 2846, 2873 and 2824 I will be able to get all of these non running movements I bought to go on their respective working spaces. ;)

E

HECK Yeah! I could not have done it with the computer repair screwdriver set I had. My wife was making fun of me last night after I yelled out a big YES!!!!

Red, thanks man. I mean it.

No if we could get this article on a Swiss 2846, 2873 and 2824 I will be able to get all of these non running movements I bought to go on their respective working spaces. ;)

E

Well fortunately, the 2824 is very very similar to the 2836, especially in the keyless works so you should be good there. I have a few 2846's to play with so I will be checking them out as well to see what the differences are. As for the 2873, that is a whole different matter. Haven't had a good look at one of those - YET! :thumbsupsmileyanim: