When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

U-Boat Experts - Need your help!

redwatch

I remember my friend having a U-boat when they first got released, he was something to do with the UK distributor, it was a quartz watch.

Back then I thought they looked like a flash in the pan fashion brand, but they are still here and seem to be doing well, wish I had taken up his offer for cheap one.

• 1 year later...

You can still buy quartz versions I was looking at a gold one in a shop window the other day..

But the tells on all the rep Uboats are easy to spot on the dial.... for example on the flightdeck the subdial at three on the rep is indented the gen isnt... also the UBoat type over the DW is misplaced on the rep... the vertical left edge of the DW sits below the right hand upright of the U but the rep the edge of DW sits in the middle of the U..

Of course there are others on this one and other similar rep models...

You can still buy quartz versions I was looking at a gold one in a shop window the other day..

But the tells on all the rep Uboats are easy to spot on the dial.... for example on the flightdeck the subdial at three on the rep is indented the gen isnt... also the UBoat type over the DW is misplaced on the rep... the vertical left edge of the DW sits below the right hand upright of the U but the rep the edge of DW sits in the middle of the U..

Of course there are others on this one and other similar rep models...

I recently bough a gen Flightdeck and have seen two rep and now I am wondering if mine is a gen or rep, I sent U-boat a message a few days ago but have not gotten a reply. What other sign on both the gen and rep that are different for me to see, I have looked all over the watch and can't find what I think is a serial number.

I recently bough a gen Flightdeck and have seen two rep and now I am wondering if mine is a gen or rep, I sent U-boat a message a few days ago but have not gotten a reply. What other sign on both the gen and rep that are different for me to see, I have looked all over the watch and can't find what I think is a serial number.

Post a pic mate.. That way we can see it and let you know if its gen :)

Well overall it looks gen mate....

The U-Boat is correctly positioned over the DW ..I have not seen any reps with this and have also in the past discussed this issue with a TD who was adamant there was no rep so far with that dial corrected and nor was there one in the pipeline...

The sub dial at three ... I cant see it properly.... Is it flush with the dial? whereas the the other subdials are recessed slightly? If so then thats right too... All reps have subdials all recessed which is incorrect..

The actual UB typeface colour is also gen like the rep has never got this colour right and tend to have it white as it easier to mark up the dial for the rep makers.. plus hands and dial markers are right... the rep gets this wrong on all models they use the same finish whereas gen has different white on hands to that of markers..

I cant see the serial numbers between the lugs so just check those mate against the paperwork...

The CB and rotor are the older model but fortunately the reps have the CBs with the later CB and engraving

Plus that aint a rep strap mate... the rep straps are like cheap cardboard...

Well overall it looks gen mate....

The U-Boat is correctly positioned over the DW ..I have not seen any reps with this and have also in the past discussed this issue with a TD who was adamant there was no rep so far with that dial corrected and nor was there one in the pipeline...

The sub dial at three ... I cant see it properly.... Is it flush with the dial? whereas the the other subdials are recessed slightly? If so then thats right too... All reps have subdials all recessed which is incorrect..

The actual UB typeface colour is also gen like the rep has never got this colour right and tend to have it white as it easier to mark up the dial for the rep makers.. plus hands and dial markers are right... the rep gets this wrong on all models they use the same finish whereas gen has different white on hands to that of markers..

I cant see the serial numbers between the lugs so just check those mate against the paperwork...

The CB and rotor are the older model but fortunately the reps have the CBs with the later CB and engraving

Plus that aint a rep strap mate... the rep straps are like cheap cardboard...

It seem based on your evaluation on my Flightdeck I have a gen, that is great news to me. The dial at three is flush and I did see two sets on number between the lugs below the 6 but there do not match any numbers on the card, the serial # on the card is not same on the watch unless I missed somewhere else to see it.

Edited by burg650

It seem based on your evaluation on my Flightdeck I have a gen, that is great news to me. The dial at three is flush and I did see two sets on number between the lugs below the 6 but there do not match any numbers on the card, the serial # on the card is not same on the watch unless I missed somewhere else to see it.

Well mate... you either have a top notch Franken or the real deal.... Frankens are very very rare in this model..... and are not really worth the effort to put together TBH... so yeah my money is on gen..

In respect of the warranty card.... that does happen especially on grey market stuff (ie Non AD)... its also happens due to simple human error...

Did you buy face to face? or over the phone/internet?

If you want to you can PM me a pic of the card... I can tell you if its gen...make sure its both sides. Also let me know how you bought it... What you are experiencing isnt uncommon mate so dont get too worried :)

i am no expert in U-Boats.... but i just came from a business trip and one of the new top dogs in the company was wearing one, easy 50mm massive watch. I did notice the movement was not smooth but typically quartz one. I don't think this guy is the kind to buy reps. That was pretty clear when next day he had a stunning Hublot on his wrist.... again, it looked pretty gen to me. B********d!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD