When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tritium Question

japanic

I've been considering buying either a gen Sub or a GMT for some time now, the question I have is if I bought a model from before 1998 when Rolex switched to Superluminova; how long would the tritium last?

The main reason for my asking is I do love the look and functionality of drilled lugs and they seem to have been phased out in the late 90s for most models.

My beater 16800 gen has a circa '98 tritium dial replacement and hands from Rolex and they still glow very nicely.

P1000246-2-1-2-2.jpg

Lugholes in the sub cases went out around 2003. The 93150 bracelet gave way to the 93250 around maybe 2000 which was when Rolex changed from tritium to luminova (1 year) and then to SL. So you could find a sub from 2001-2003 with lugholes and SL which is the best lume.

tritium lume = phosphorescent material + tritium

Thus, even if all the tritium is gone, it'll still glow for about 10 min after being lit.

Exactly, tritium is a gas and the bonding agent (phospor) is the key. Panerai's bonding agent is far inferior - or at least it seems to last half as long.

Tritium has a half life of about 12.5 years (half-life is the time it takes half the tritium to decay). So, under most circumstances, it should glow for about 25 years.

Warning, the half life of a radioactive component does not means the entire life is "half-life x2".

hlcurv.gif

My Tritium dial & hands still glows (with extreme light conditions, okay)... and it's from 1967 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Exactly, tritium is a gas and the bonding agent (phospor) is the key. Panerai's bonding agent is far inferior - or at least it seems to last half as long.

Not to be pedantic, but tritium is what hydrogen with 1 proton and 2 neutrons is called. It is tritium whether it is in pure (T-T), or heterogeneous (T-x) form.

It is gaseous when part of a gaseous molecule, and solid or liquid when parts of molecules in those phases.

Since it has identical properties with standard, single-nucleon, hydrogen; it can be substituted in a molecule almost anywhere hydrogen can.

I used to use tritiated compounds to track drug distribution in animals it works great for that too.