When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Valjoux 72

danielv2000

I haven't been checking the listings so much as of late, but I think you'd do well to find a donor watch for under $1000. The days of $500 V72s are gone forever, I'm afraid.

You have a few ways of approaching the search. You could use search terms "valjoux 72" and expect to pay top dollar for the listings you find. Alternatively, you could search through the hundreds of items that come up when you search under "vintage chronograph". Look through all the triple register chronographs, and learn how to tell a Valjoux 72 from 71, 7736, and other movements with a similar layout. It can be tough, especially if there are no caseback-off pictures. Finally, start writing up a list of watch brands that made chronographs with V72s. It's still possible that someone will list a "Clebar Chronograph" without mentioning that it's powered by a V72, though it doesn't happen too often nowadays. Sellers have brains, too.

Finally, steer clear of movements with any visible rust, or that may be in questionable condition. If you find a non-running V72 that's missing a few parts, run -don't walk- away. The price of repair (if it's even possible) could easily double your costs. I've seen incomplete movements sell for more than $500, so either the bidders knew exactly what they were doing, or they were hopelessly optimistic. Either way, you don't want to be party to such auctions!

I could be wrong but : it is necessary to stop to fantasm and :Jumpy: about this obsolete movement. Parts break easely and the full working fonctions are eratic, we are now in the 21th century

[Comic mode on] stop to dream and buy a Submariner rep [comic mode off/] :lol:

just kidding :lol:

(but realist)

Surely obsolete movement, but it's all the charm of the vintage, isn't it ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That said, it explains why the v72 (and all the derivations) are costing much this times, it's more and more difficult to source a movement in good health.

To me, the fair price of a v72 movement in good health in something like 600-700 EUR.

The "real" question to me is... what is the fair price for a v726 movement ? :whistling: If anyone have an idea :rolleyes:

--

it is necessary to stop to fantasm and :Jumpy: about this obsolete movement

This is why you have a vintage Daytona in your avatar ? :bleh:

I haven't been checking the listings so much as of late, but I think you'd do well to find a donor watch for under $1000. The days of $500 V72s are gone forever, I'm afraid.

You have a few ways of approaching the search. You could use search terms "valjoux 72" and expect to pay top dollar for the listings you find. Alternatively, you could search through the hundreds of items that come up when you search under "vintage chronograph". Look through all the triple register chronographs, and learn how to tell a Valjoux 72 from 71, 7736, and other movements with a similar layout. It can be tough, especially if there are no caseback-off pictures. Finally, start writing up a list of watch brands that made chronographs with V72s. It's still possible that someone will list a "Clebar Chronograph" without mentioning that it's powered by a V72, though it doesn't happen too often nowadays. Sellers have brains, too.

Finally, steer clear of movements with any visible rust, or that may be in questionable condition. If you find a non-running V72 that's missing a few parts, run -don't walk- away. The price of repair (if it's even possible) could easily double your costs. I've seen incomplete movements sell for more than $500, so either the bidders knew exactly what they were doing, or they were hopelessly optimistic. Either way, you don't want to be party to such auctions!

Thanks. Very helpful info. I'll start there.

I could be wrong but : it is necessary to stop to fantasm and :Jumpy: about this obsolete movement. Parts break easely and the full working fonctions are eratic, we are now in the 21th century

[Comic mode on] stop to dream and buy a Submariner rep [comic mode off/] :lol:

just kidding :lol:

(but realist)

Submariner rep 200$

WM9 Sub LV - 800$

Spinmaster Daytona with gen parts - 950$

V72 powered Daytona - PRICELESS

Submariner rep 200$

WM9 Sub LV - 800$

Spinmaster Daytona with gen parts - 950$

V72 powered Daytona - PRICELESS

I know... I know...

This hobby is.........................;; :bangin::Jumpy:=@8)

just a nice hobby §§§ :lol:

I found a V72 on TZ a while ago in a Wyler donor. The cat was selling off an estate and didn't have a vested interest in getting as much cash as he should have and I ended up talking him down to just over $500 shipped. Steal of the year for me. In the rest of my numerous months and hours searching, $900 - $1100 was the going rate I saw.

Surely obsolete movement, but it's all the charm of the vintage, isn't it ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That said, it explains why the v72 (and all the derivations) are costing much this times, it's more and more difficult to source a movement in good health.

To me, the fair price of a v72 movement in good health in something like 600-700 EUR.

The "real" question to me is... what is the fair price for a v726 movement ? :whistling: If anyone have an idea :rolleyes:

--

This is why you have a vintage Daytona in your avatar ? :bleh:

My donor watch (V726) was 950€ if I remember correctly. I think a V72, V726 is well worth it, if a Daytona is somewhat of a grail to you.

There are still plenty parts around (though they seem to be getting pricier) and honestly these movements are nothing different than all the other vintage ones. When you care for them and get them serviced regularly you will be able to enjoy them for a long, long time.

I agree with LHOOQ however, get a good and complete one, don't let a bad one ruin your project right from the beginning.

Good info here... I'm just starting the process of searching for a donor watch. I love the Spinmaster "Big Red" with gen parts I recently received (thanks Valty!) but it is a stepping stone, ultimately I will want a gen dial and therefore need the V72.

I did want to mention that DW builds custom V72 Daytonas... prices start at about $1,500 for the whole watch with what I presume is a working (if not freshly serviced) movement. Lead time was quote at 2-4 weeks. Presumably they obtain donors from Asian markets and get them running.

I bought a V72 donor watch off the 'bay about 2 months ago. Paid £525 for it, seemed a fair price at the time. Just to make you sick, a watch dealer friend of mine remembers when V72 movements (brand new and unused) were selling for £50 each. There were few takers, nobody wanted to buy manual wind chrono movements!

• 1 year later...

I'm curious as to whether adequate quality replacement parts are available for aging Valjoux movements, especially the chronographs which appear to suffer predictable ailments, which one assumes will over time exhaust the small reserves of old watchmakers cabinets. As modern makers as well as enterprising counterfeiters seem able to reproduce small parts in quantity, has anyone yet considered this other direction to take for their talents?

I shudder to think how bad parts would destroy the vintage market, but as NOS is the gospel tag on EBay offerings, might there be the alternative, to produce high-quality replacements for the weakest links in old watches? I have a couple 100-year old pocket watches with poor histories, yet I think I can detect replacement wheels by the dramatically different sheen and patinas - at one time this must

have been the norm for working timepieces. Watchmakers, at one time, were actually that, namely ones who could actually re-make a part from stock or such.

Any insights from readers here?

"I'm curious as to whether adequate quality replacement parts are available for aging Valjoux movements, especially the chronographs which appear to suffer predictable ailments, which one assumes will over time exhaust the small reserves of old watchmakers cabinets."

I have gone through a few retired watch repair guys' parts and found very few V72 parts. It seems that most repair guys did not work on many V72 and waited until a part was needed and ordered one at a time. All I have left is a mainspring and they are relatively easy to find.

I would guess the best way to keep one running today is to buy a parts watch.