When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

it is YOUR fault...

Melissa

I want to say thank you so much for not treating me like a "dumb girl" and pointing me in the right direction. I have literally spent hours and hours and hours reading your posts. I upgraded my membership, I donated and now I am about to buy 3 watches!!!!!

I have been driving Joshua insane (sorry)

I do have a question about one of the watches I am buying for my brother though...

In regards to the AP ROO. I was looking for "flash" without "bling" so I thought the red details on some of the watches worked well for that. The rose gold also adds to that.

I am really leaning towards the rose gold Marcus limited edition. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on the most accurate looking watch in the red accented group are? (Ruben Barricello, Marcus etc)

Melissa

Hey M, a word to the wise... he was already crazy. :animal_rooster:

Flashy? Rose gold? Ewwwwwwwwww Stainless steel is where it's at, baby. And we had such high hopes for you! :group:

On a more serious note, I'm sure those with more refined taste (than raw/boring stainless steel) will be chiming in shortly.

Not a fan of any form of plating, it rubs/wears off, or can get scratched, to reveal the metal beneath....

I think this watch is probably one of the best reps you can buy in my opinion ;)

dsc00884kl4yn0.jpg

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/mille-miglia-gt-xl-chrono-limited-edition/

Or there is the recently released Alfa Romeo edition, although I have no clue how accurate it is, the siver version is spot on ;)

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/mille-miglia-gt-xl-chrono-alfa-romeo/

There is no wrong choice really, buy what you like, but beware of cheap rep plating!! B)

For RG... may want to look at AP Montoya and also Franck Muller King Conquistador Cortez.

The Montoya is very well made and looks like an expensive watch on the wrist. The FM on the other hand is virtually flawless. I have a gen of this watch as well and keeping them side by side..you'd be hard pressed to find differences.

Imh, the simple ROO's (black themes on ss bracelet, safari on nice croc strap) are where its at. The ROO's have do mucj flash on their own that adding gold, red trim, is 'almost' tacky.

I orderd the chronopassion (titanium) would love to be able 2o tell you its the shiot....but I ain't got it yet... :(

He had the silver Rolex Masterpiece but someone stole it

Someone is in for a nasty surprise. :D

Melissa our gold watches are indeed plated but they are usually done very well.

Yes it will wear off but that usually takes time and a fair bit of wearing, also scratches is something you don't want on any watch, even steel (vintages aside) so normal care when wearing the watch should stop that.

Ken

what's a Rolex masterpiece? Rolex doesn't make any complications beyond GMT or chronograph if you just count the modern ones. In vintage Rolex, there's the moon phase and the perpetual calendar. Anyways, trust me when I say that any AP Royal Oak Offshore looks like it's over $30k. The rarer ones cost much more, but it's not that rare in the rep world hahaha.

If you're in a crowd that knows & hangs around with expensive watches, they usually won't go for Rolex (vintage Rolex is an exception). They go for brands such as Patek, AP, vacheron constantin, and A Lange. Even their simple watches commands respect. Of course,they can also indulge in independent watchmakers, but that's another story. So going with AP is probably the right choice.

Historically I was with the others regarding views on anything other than stainless steel. However, I recently felt the need to try something different. Which led me to get one of these (opportunity presented itself and couldn't resist)

1269366400_top-5-watches-revealed-at-baselworld-2010_1.jpg

Overall I am very impressed with the quality and look. For me, it is not something I can wear too often as it is quite dressy and my work environment doesn't really require that. As a result I am not worried about durability of the finish. Also, my wife has a gold plated Movado that she has beat on pretty hard over the last 8 years and it still looks great. So if the finish on my Hublot is even half as good I am not worried at all. For your brother it sounds like it won't get thrashed too much in his hands given your description of his job so I wouldn't let the plating issue sway your decision too heavily.

Best of luck in your search.

Always found some brietlings and PAMs to be subtle, yet classy. Especially those damn PAMs :wub: . But on retail costs.... ehh you lost me, I just go for watches that look nice, not whether they look over $30k or not.

Edit: it's a nice watch as well... pretty pricey for a rep. I believe this is like a $100k gen, but correct me if I'm wrong people.

Edited by Beginningatdawn

IMO, rose gold really limits what you can wear it with.

Steel is more versatile - I would recommend a Hublot Big Bang, steel APROO, or, to be really different and elegant - the Patek Nautilus.

OK Melissa...now I know more information about your brother....that VIP thing is important.

So I´d suggest the ROSEGOLD MARCUS....unknown in the States (as it is a LE for a UK jeweler)....rosegold is flashy but does not look cheap....the red accents make it an eye-catcher and the stingray straps makes it even more interesting.

Go for it...a perfect match for HIP HOPPER and white dressed sheiks.

Theo

Agree with Theo. The rose gold Marcus AP sounds like the perfect watch for your brother and his profession.

I have the rose gold Rubberclad which I love and find it to be rather versatile, but I still the Marcus works better for your bro..

---

- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you are officially ALMOST in the jungle.. Rosegold.. EW.. unfortunately no decently priced solid gold models around. The Barichello II is available in solid gold but costs like 3,000usd or something ridiculous.

Keep in mind.. that if your brother is around sultans and the like.. they WILL recognize that an AP is STILL VERY much Baller status. The Titanium Chronopassion is still upwards of $40,000.

Any sultan or hip-hop "mogul" will know that, regardless of whether the watch is gold or not. ;)