When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What I've been up to since we last spoke

Pugwash

pugwash, the photos are beautifully executed. were they taken by a leica camera? (camera noob here)

I've used an assortment over the years. All Canon DSLRs, though

Usually, I rent or borrow a 5D MkII or a 7D and rent lenses according to the track. My favourite combo is a Canon 7D with a 70-300mm L-series lens, but last time out I was trying out a 28-300mm on a 5D MkII and I never had to take the lens off between paddock and track.

Ideally, you'd take a 5D and a 7D, with a fat wide lens on the 5D and a decent telephoto on the 7D.

thanks for the info. appreciate it. your photos are great.

your skills are amazing.. we all know that it is very difficult to capture images of motor racing. I tried that once in Grand Pix and i was too far away for the images to capture any of the speed the race car possess. the color of your photos are spot on.

top work , those colours really "pop" , have you tweaked them a bit ?

Some are straight off the lens, others … not so much. :)

Post-processing is a large part of photography and is as much a talent as the photography itself. When I'm trackside, I take photos directly off the camera in Raw format and do a little tweaking on the iPad, usually just cropping and white balance. When I get home, after the weekend, I will load all 4,000 photos on to my Mac Pro and pick the best 50-100 and tweak the living crap out of them so they are as close to what I thought I saw with my eyes.

So, yes, I'd be surprised if those photos aren't significantly tweaked.

Here's the other kind of photo I take at races:

5991155302_6c3a4a45cb_b.jpg

The girls love a guy with a big lens and a media pass.

D*mn Pugs, your photos are stunning, hope you are making some good money at this, you should be.

BTW, welcome back.