When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most Anticipated / Desired AP ROO Rep.....

ForzaAP

What AP ROO would you all most like to see Rep'd that hasn't been..... I'd have to say the ROO gran prix (RG case with Forged carbon bezel) or The Legacy (Black brushed finish case with RG accents and numerals)

What do you guys really want to see......???

-Mario

That is the alrnolds all star.... The case is actually completely different than other ROO's so that's why it hasn't been done. The don ramon de la Cruz is the rep they decided to make because it was easier. Both brown alligator with RG case and brown dial. The all star is sexy though....

What do you True AP guys, like me, think of the JARNO TRULLI ROO LMTD ED? Forged carbon case, ceramic bezel with titanium clasp and hardware.....mmmmm AP goodness :)

I have to give credit to AP and PANERAI for their marketing strategies. Make an identical watch, then change the band colour and the dial colour in endless permutations. People will go nuts! At least PANERAI makes different movements, whereas all of these APs are exactly the f**king same! :)

The forged carbon ones, of course.

There's a fascinating thread in the AP section about a guy on RWG who is considering setting up a forged carbon press and tooling required to make these cases. It needs some pretty special equipment but it's not impossible to do, even as a rep.

Those forged carbon cases are crazy-cool... ;)

Really? That would be amazing, that would bring some of the AP reps to a whole new level. I'd imagine it's alot more complicated than it sounds and probably a big machine to forge carbon into a mold and it be firm and sturdy and not brittle....

I actually saw a 10 minute video on vimeo on how these cases are made. This WAS the link:

http://vimeo.com/4255111

Renaud and Papi obviously took issue with this link. I don't mean to oversimplify, but basically the cases are made of chopped strands of carbon fiber that were preimpregnated with polyamide(nylon) resin, not epoxy. Since I saw the video I don't mind sharing what I saw. A steel die was carefully filled with a premeasured(by weight) amount of these chopped fibers. The die was then heated in an oven to melt the resin, taken out, an then pressed to consolidate the case. Maybe not a DIY project but not a difficult process either. I've read elsewhere that it takes 20 minutes to make a case but that there is also a 20% rejection rate. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

Here's a link to pictures of the process:

http://professionalwatches.com/2009/04/audemars_piguet_-_forged_carbo.html

Regards,

George

@samurai ...I heard from a very good source that legacy would not be out by end of this year. Nor any confirmation that a rep is being created....

Hmm....weird.....cause I have it straight from the person who procured the gen sometime in May... and it is already in tatters being replicated. It did cost a bomb to get the gen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...