When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has the IWC Subforum Turned Into One Giant Sales Thread?

justaguy88

I really like the frankens and exotic rep IWC's that are being posted, but lately it seems like the IWC sub forum has turned more into a dealer subforum. Isn't this against the rules? I can think of a number of dealers who pay good money to have a designated area where they can post watches and parts that they are offering for sale. As much as a love the watches, I have to say that it has changed the character of the IWC forum a bit when every thread turns into a discussion about what parts someone can source and for what price. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Yawn... paging Concepta, your fans stalkers are back

It's nothing personal. I like Concepta and I own one of his watches. I'm just getting sick of "look what new parts I have for sale" threads and "look at this brand new franken that I'm obviously offering for sale" threads. There is a place for that and it is in a dealer subforum. If anything, I'm upset for RWG, since certain sellers are obtaining the benefit of advertising without paying for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a little tired of these threads (and for some reason there are many) complaining about Concepta posting the handful of OEM parts he has available like it was a BAD thing. Most folks wait for a long time to get those announcements. To compare this with rep dealers is somewhat misleading. Rep dealers sell REPs in LARGE volumes and they in general are not forum contributors.

Concepta is a platinum member hence he DOES PAY to post at RWG. He has the same right as MANY others to post stuff for sale. Would it make any difference if he moved his posts to the Watches area??? Folks that look for Concepta stuff come to the IWC forum. It's just more convenient

If you want to help, go find those parts and offer them here. I'm still trying to understand the different agendas behind these posts.

• Like 1

You seem to be completely missing my point. Of course it's not bad that a member here has access to OEM parts. The problem is that he is posting them for sale in a forum that is not designated for sales. This is a violation of the rules of RWG and, in my opinion, undermines (to some extent) the spirit of community among us collectors who come to the IWC forum to discuss the watches, not to be pitched parts.

You are correct in noting that Concepta paid for a platinum membership, and you are also correct that as a result, he can post items for sale in the SALES section. That is what he has paid for. He hasn't paid to post in a non-sales forum and he hasn't paid for his own section on this site. Concepta's profits are almost certainly in the tens of thousands. If you think that's small enough to ignore some bending of the rules, then I guess that's where you and I disagree.

No disrespect to you or to Concepta. I like his watches, but I don't like that he is apparently immune to criticism nor that the people who criticize his posting habits are accused of having "agendas."

Raise it with the mods then, and leave us alone

Who is this "us" you are referring to? Everyone that has replied has agreed with me except for one or two people who are sucking up because they have a watch on the way. :hammer:

Anyway, the mods can see this thread. If they don't want to do anything about it then that's their prerogative.

Who is this "us" you are referring to? Everyone that has replied has agreed with me except for one or two people who are sucking up because they have a watch on the way. :hammer:

Anyway, the mods can see this thread. If they don't want to do anything about it then that's their prerogative.

well I have never bought anything from Concepta much less having "a watch on the way". However I fail to see the value of these kinds of threads.

As to your point, as far as I can see the link you've posted states that Concepta was building a few franken watches and told folks to PM here if there was interest. Is that a sales thread? maybe, would it make any difference if it was posted on the "watches" area? no.

If I start posting a bunch of frankens on the PAM area, I'm sure someone will be PMing me asking to buy it or any other info. So based on your complaint here I should not be posting those then.

Sander has done some fabulous AP frankens and he post them (with a lot of good instructions) in other subforums. Lots of people PM here to try and get one. So he should stop posting too. Is that what you are looking for?

The rules (AFAIK) are here to protect the membership. If this was a new member that wasn't approved to sell these high value items using a sub forum to lure unsuspecting member to buy junk, I'd be in 100% agreement with you. The way I see it these threads are created for some personal reason, not really to protect anybody.

Concepta's profits are almost certainly in the tens of thousands...

Is this what bothers you? Cause it seems like you have an axe to grind, and it's getting tiresome.

This topic has been addressed before, he has been a valued member here for many years and has contributed to the forum in many more ways than some "dealer" who is just out to make a fast buck. And also, I might add, a lot more than some people who have been around for 5 years or more and contributed sweet FA. Keep it up, and he'll stop coming here, and then IWC fans will have to look elsewhere for these rare OEM parts. Good luck!

Is this what bothers you?

Again insinuating that I have some sort of axe to grind. Gotta love the ad hominem attacks. I'm totally content with my Concepta watch, I'm not a rival dealer of any sort, and I don't have anything bad to say about Concepta on a personal level, so please tell me what my secret motivations are for criticizing his sales practices.

Also, LOL at the suggestion that Concepta will "go somewhere else"... because, you know...there is such a huge market for rep IWC's with gen parts. The prevalencey of this attitude on the rep forums is amusing. We as buyers are the ones with power in this market--not the other way around. These guys can't go on ebay or Craigslist and their websites thrive on the endorsements of sites like this one. When more people realize this, the pandering to dealers will end.

@ Txcollector, I'm not going to debate the fine line as to when a post becomes a for sale thread because it's pretty clear that Concepta has routinely crossed that line.

There is really no more reason for me to continue posting in this thread. I have made my point and the mods can do as they see fit.