When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A year in the making; Project 1665

The perfect watch...the perfect build by a master craftsman :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I finished the exact same project last year...damn you got some good prices! I'm sure Ubi feels the same way I do when it comes to "perfect-builds" The cost becomes irrelivent when you stay true to your focus...and the feeling when you put your creation on for the first time is priceless... :rolleyes:

Wear it good health!

(Ubi...I'd post picks but my granite isn't as nice as yours!)

Heh... It's kind of funny- I used to obsess about the silver datewheel. And these days, I'm just kinda meh about them smile.png

Well you can stop obsessing because you've obtained perfection, R!!! That's a gorgeous shot of the brushed silver DW which itself is to die for!! I also like how I can see the beginning of the 17 in the DW. THAT is vintage through and through!

Thanks, D.

Hmmm... Interesting question you've raised. For a gen 1665 fitted with lumi parts (i.e. assuming that the dial, hands and insert were lumi service replacement), I'd have no problems buying at $7k - $8k. I've seen tritium dials selling in the $900 - $1200 range for the small and long FT dials; $1800 - $2k seems about right for the rail dials. Tritium hands seem to run around $250 - $300 and a tritium thick font can be had for around $200 - $400 depending on overall condition, fade/tone and pearl color.

Once exchanged, the lumi parts can be sold to offset the cost of the tritium parts. If one were savvy (and patient) enough, there could even be a small profit involved; that's after considering the possibility of having paid luminova pricing for a tritium 1665 :)

Timing is everything...

Thanks, guys happy.png

I think the fine tuning part of the build is maybe the most tedious, as I'll adjust something, wear the watch for a few days to see if there's any details that need to be adjusted further or cleaned up and repeat the process. I'll have the watch apart several times in the next few months as I note the areas that need to be addressed. This is where the OCD kicks in headhurt.gif

Ephry- When it comes to CGs, there were many different types and shapes of guards during the plexi era, compounded by the fact that polishing and wear can change the overall shape as well. In other words, there are many, many variations to choose from.

What I typically do is find an example of what I like (aesthetically) and do my best to emulate. e.g.-

Here's what I based mine on...

And my results...

Guards can be a tricky thing to do, as it's very easy to take them too far; there's no going back so it's a job best suited for a quiet moment with lots of mental prep time sweatdrop.gif