When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A year in the making; Project 1665

I'm a little late to the party, but DAMN that is awesome! These models have quickly become my favorite Rolex. Please don't vintagize more than the normal wear. It looks so nice and new and shiny.

How well is it keeping time?

Thanks for sharing, Ubi.

:)

Well much like Tribal, I prefer my watches to look as new and clean and as well cared for as possible. I try my best to baby my watches as much as I can, but natural wear and patina happens when such things are used on a daily basis. So, no artificial aging for me :)

Movement in the 1665 is keeping great time. I usually only observe time keeping for the first few days to make sure it's not egregiously out of whack. But so far, it's held to +5 seconds overnight sitting dial up in the watch box. To compare, my 5514 runs +3 seconds per day when worn regularly (I haven't synched that one up in a few weeks)...

:)

Ubi,

The thing that I LOVE the most out of these two builds, is how understated they are. Simple, functional and functionally gorgeous watches. These are two of my favorite watches and anyone should be happy to just have these two(well, almost everyone except for LHOOQ smile.gif ) and perhaps a Snowflake biggrin.gif

As far as patina goes, well these two are embarking into a glorious path as it stands,so no doubt they will look better and better(if that is possible) as time goes by.

I have a few casebacks at home I can take pictures of see if they are what you need. I know you probably have parts, but If you could use one...The inside stamping may be something else, but I will definitely let you know and send pics.

E

Darn fantastic work of art there, Ubi! You certainly haven't lost that 'ol magic touch. B)

Heck, it took me six months to hunt down the parts for my 1665 and that was just the essentials.

I have been gone for a while but terrific to see you still putting these beauties together. I'm still smitten by the Tudor no-date project you completed many moons ago.

Congrats on the new toy!

BTW, great to see some old friends around.

Cheers,

Jet

I have a few casebacks at home I can take pictures of see if they are what you need. I know you probably have parts, but If you could use one...The inside stamping may be something else, but I will definitely let you know and send pics.

Thanks, Ephry... But no worries. I have the caseback issue sorted out. Good to go on that.

wished i had a decent caseback for my comex! phongs case backs are really something compared to your run of the mill mbw casebacks

Phong's stuff is pretty good in my book. He's been good to me!

I have been gone for a while but terrific to see you still putting these beauties together. I'm still smitten by the Tudor no-date project you completed many moons ago.

Cheers,

Jet

Wow- Talk about a blast from the past! How ya been, S? Great to see you!

One of THE best builds I've seen in my 6 years on the boards. And you make it seem so easy. Something to be proud of for sure.

Thanks, J. That's a compliment not to be taken lightly! I appreciate the kind words!

Cheers and best,

//ubi

I just came back to gawk some more... :)

Oh...what version of T39 did you use? When I first for into all this I loved the giant bubble crystals, but after I had my first flatter service version T19 in one of my watches... I loved it more.. now I have 5 watches with flatter ones.

Now I have 5 watches with flatter ones. I have the service T39 in my 1665 and yours looks similar.

Oh...what version of T39 did you use?

R-

My personal preference is with the service crystals as they just look cleaner to me. While I appreciate the domes for being period/era correct, I prefer the optical clarity (less distortion) as well as the beveled edge of the service crystals (the bevel adds a more 'finished' look to the crystal in my opinion and I love the way it catches light).

I also feel there is added security with a new service crystal in the sense that they are less likely to fail on a pressure test.

If you look at all my vintage builds, they're all fitted with service crystals :)

My personal preference is with the service crystals as they just look cleaner to me. While I appreciate the domes for being period/era correct, I prefer the optical clarity (less distortion) as well as the beveled edge of the service crystals (the bevel adds a more 'finished' look to the crystal in my opinion and I love the way it catches light).

I also feel there is added security with a new service crystal in the sense that they are less likely to fail on a pressure test.

If you look at all my vintage builds, they're all fitted with service crystals :)

couldnt AGREE more :good:

Ubi, I'm doing well, thanks for remembering. :)

I met with The Zigmeister, J and a couple of friends from the forum recently and the visit got the rusty engine restarted. I also just received two of my favorite watches from Doctor Zigmeister's spa (another master) which I have not been able to wear for some time and that certainly got me in a fine watch mood.

BTW, I still have your/Palp 1680 joint project watch from eons ago. Need to get it serviced but it is one fine looking piece. A few months ago, a dealer asked me about a trade-in possibility for something more modern. :D

Hope all is fantastic with you as well!

Jet

Edited by Jetsons