When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A year in the making; Project 1665

Ubi,

I hate to ask, but have to. Your 5513 Comex and this 1665 have been incredible inspiration. Given that you have both these watches, what are the case specs and differences? I'm only asking because currently I have everything together for the 5513, but lacking a decent dial, so I just put in the movement, dial and hands from my prospect 1665 build into the 5513 with HEV case. I'm curious to see just how much bigger(if any) the 1665 case is to the 5513/4.

BTW, the 702 is going into the PreComex. Got the tube from Micha and Clak's hooked me up with the correct o-rings.

E

E-

Hmmmm... Not entirely sure what specs/differences you are looking for, but the 5514 and 1665 are two completely different animals. The 5514 is quite a bit thinner in profile and the dial aperture is also a bit smaller; the 5512/5513/5514/5517 have a dial diameter of 26mm and the 1665/1680 have a dial diameter of 26.5mm. So, on the 1665, you see more dial, per se.

I don't have my 1665 at the moment as I sent it over to a friend of mine here to check out and test drive. Once I get it back (as well as my calipers which I have out on loan to another friend of mine), I can measure and provide actual dimensions if that's what you need...

• 4 weeks later...

I should have taken a 'before' shot, but I didn't... This is about as good as I can provide...

Before

After with the inner guards trimmed and cleaned up...

Most of the effort went into opening up the lower portion of the guards and what I call squaring of the inner corners (this is to make the inside corners at the base of the guards as sharp and with as defined of a 'corner' as possible). The difference is hard to detect, but the easiest way to see the difference is to compare the distances of the CG edges to the crown tube since that's really the only constant between the two pics. You may notice that the 6:00 side was much more enclosed (i.e. closer to the tube) than the 12:00 side, and the inner CGs much too angled. I straightened them out slightly, still keeping a slight angle but enough to open everything up as you should be able to see a good portion of the base of the crown...

• Like 1

I should have taken a 'before' shot, but I didn't... This is about as good as I can provide...

Before

After with the inner guards trimmed and cleaned up...

Most of the effort went into opening up the lower portion of the guards and what I call squaring of the inner corners (this is to make the inside corners at the base of the guards as sharp and with as defined of a 'corner' as possible). The difference is hard to detect, but the easiest way to see the difference is to compare the distances of the CG edges to the crown tube since that's really the only constant between the two pics. You may notice that the 6:00 side was much more enclosed (i.e. closer to the tube) than the 12:00 side, and the inner CGs much too angled. I straightened them out slightly, still keeping a slight angle but enough to open everything up as you should be able to see a good portion of the base of the crown...

Thank you kind sir!

This helps a lot.

• 1 month later...

It is through R's unparalleled generosity, I now have come into the ownership of this magnificent watch. The fact that this was completely unexpected, made the whole experience all the more special smile.png

I had been discussing my own 1665 project with R for close to two years, as he patiently gave pointers on my neophyte attempts to get one of China 1665s up to snuff. Having gone the whole 9 on it and still feeling the gross inadequacy of the case set and dial, I've resigned to make a proper 1665 as soon as I was ready to take on the responsibility of doing this model justice. It pretty much meant that I would have to clear out some of my collection in order to make it happen so I postponed the project until 2012.

I was completely smitten when right after R finished the Great White, he just offered me to try it on to get a feel for a proper-sorted build. Just like that! As if he was talking about trying on a $20 g-shock and we were sitting across from each other at a bar; not THE 1665, a watch that he spend a year and a wad of money building and would need to ship cross-country. I declined because, well, you know the reason, understandably as much as I would've loved to play with the watch, I would be mortified if something were to happen to it in transit or otherwise. On top of that, R literally just finished it and that would be like taking someone's newborn home to check out how you like parenthood after they let you hold her for a little bit during your hospital visit.

But he sent the 1665 anyway...

And from the moment I received the package, I could not look at anything else. I was completely enamored with it and so was my wife. I wore the watch very carefully and sent it back after a few weeks. I would absolutely not dare to ask or even hint to R about selling it. All the while I had it on my wrist, I was reevaluating a lot of what I like in watches and specifically vintage Rolex. I've resigned to begin my 1665 quest as soon as it was more fiscally prudent and responsible with the upcoming holiday season. In the coming weeks we spoke several times about my experience with the 1665, but I could not foresee what came next. I thought that we were just shooting the breeze about all things we usually talk about families, children, friends and projects but in fact, R was really listening. It appears that what happened is exactly what W. wrote a few posts up - when I was talking about my time with the Great White, I was in fact pulling the winning lottery ticket :) Some time has passed and we haven't discussed anything related to the 1665 for several weeks afterward. In fact, we mostly spoke of cars, Patek and Panerai Pre-V of which we are both big fans.

So when R told me that if I wanted his 1665 - he would sell, it was surreal; I was not prepared in the least. I think I just said YES, without thinking for a second, I was prepared to sell all of my watches if necessary but I didn't have to smile.png A few days later - I put the great white on my wrist and haven't taken it off since. wub.png

Thank you for making this Holiday Season amazing, R! Your friendship is very dear to me, and I wish you and your family all the best in this and all the coming years! Thank you for being a mentor and an inspiration! drinks.gif

• Like 1

You know how there are times when you just know things are destined to go a specific way? Or you’re certain that some things are just meant to be?

Well… This happens to be just such an occasion.

While there are several people out there that I know would have given this watch a good home, there was one in particular that I knew just had to be. When one has the kind of passion and drive to not lose sight or focus of a goal for several years, well, that my friends is just solid, determined commitment. And it is for that reason that I knew that the 1665 would be going to a good home, and a very deserving one at that.

w0lf has helped me in more ways than one, and several times over on a few of my projects. What’s more, like many here on RWG, he has become a great friend and that is something that I hold far more dear than anything else.

Thanks for allowing me the honor ^_^

Cheers and best,

R