When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wtf Am I Doing Wrong When Bleaching Inserts?

prdubis

I've always used lye (caustic soda), either in drain cleaning products or caustic soda pellets.

The best IMO is caustic soda in small pellets or flakes, as you have more control of the process since you can use a small amount and check the results. I've also noticed that the better the quality, the more uniform and slow is the fading process.

Best of luck

• 2 years later...

I used drano.

Works really fast. I dunk it in and wash it off in short intervals to wash off the drano with water to check fade.

Be sure not to touch the insert with your gloves when drano is on it. It will mark the spot and fade differently.

Between the 8 and 12 markers is where I accidentally touched it.

It was a Gen insert. I started with 30 seconds and shorten the intervals until I got the exact fade.

I then cape cod it afterwards.

IMAG0088-1.jpg

IMG_20120329_142646.jpg

Edited by phillycheez

I use bleach (i dont cut it with water) in a shallow dish and let it sit and swirl once a while. I'll dip it in water to clear the bleach and wipe clean. It took about 15-20 mins. Then I put a coat of matte spray on it

Ditto!  I usually have two shallow dishes, one with pure laundry bleach and the other with clear water.  I put the insert in the bleach for 20- 25 sec.+-  and then take it out and put it in the water.  Then I inspect it and repeat the process.  Nothing seems to happen for a couple of minutes but once the shiny glaze on the surface turns dull it will change very quickly.  Just keep repeating the process until it looks like what you want.

Lol... bleach works well. Too well. What people didn't tell me was sun played a factor. Dip it in bleach, in the sun and take it out every 3-5 minutes and put it in water. Try it and report back here