When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Watch For Formal Occasion?

xdemi

Hey RWG,

There's a formal occasion coming out (just formal, no black/white tie specified) and I was wondering which watch (rep or gen) to purchase to display an aptitude for watch prowess.

The only problem is, about three people out of the few hundred or so will actually know the truly high end brand names (IWC, Piguet for example) and still believe that a Rolex (although OK) is some sort of godlike watch that will slice bread, do the laundry and shows not only you have status but are a 'refined' (lol) man.

So, for this what watch do you think I should get?

The budget is ~ $5K but I don't honestly want to spend anywhere near that much tbh on a watch that has to impress a group of randoms that will only be seen (hopefully) once (the suit, pants should be chipped in more imo). The thing is that they must be impressed immediately upon sighting the watch.

A pre-owned reverso ultra-thin looks nice to me; but I'm not too sure.

Anyone with real-field experience that can shed some light into this matter?

EDIT: Nothing with any sort of gold please. It seems tacky to me.

EDIT2: To give an indicator of the group consider this:

Currently the most impressive watch known to me is 'apparently' a gunmetal bvlgari (gen) (I dunno which model) which was ~$1200.

Edited by xdemi

if Rolex is all that would be known/recognized, it's hard to go wrong with a simple DateJust. You could easily find a gen for well less than $5k.

Others to consider ... Omega Railmaster or DeVille, Ebel Brasillia, Raymond Weil Tradition, Baume and Mercier Capeland, Maurice Lacroix Grande Date ... the list goes on ... :)

I have a gen 1964 Rolex Datejust that I got for $1,200 about a year ago. It is instantly recognizable and with its silver face the Rolex emblem is clearly seen. When I go to strip clubs, it is the watch that girls most often will notice and ask the time :rolleyes: I get more attention from that watch than any of my sport Rolex.

I also am a big fan of the IWC Portuguese. If its only for one occasion, you could buy the black rep (which is supposed to be quite good) and flip it afterwards before any trouble happens with the movement. If you wanted to go in for that full $5k you could also probably pick up a gen of one with some bargaining.

You can get a preowned gen Vacheron Constantin Overseas (older style) for under $5K.

This is however such a rarified level of high-end dressy sports watch that your three "watch buffs" might not appreciate it. Look, Rolex is a nice watch, and has contributed more to horology than many watch snobs are willing to give credit for, but to me, anyone who believes there's nothing better than a Rolex knows nothing about truly high end brands.

Actually, I think that your original idea of a preowned JLC Reverso ultra thin is fantastic, it is a real dress watch, classy, understated, timeless, and elegant. More importantly, it is truly an iconic watch, and real watch enthusiasts will approve wholeheartedly of it. I don't however think that your three "watch buffs" with their Bvlgari will recognize the awesomess of a JLC Reverso. You need to start hanging out with people who truly appreciate fine watches.

Get the JLC Reverso, or a Vacheron Overseas, or some other nice dress watch that you'll want to hold on to after the formal event. I wouldn't waste money on a watch which wasn't timelessly elegant just to impress a bunch of know nothing "watch buffs." But, make sure to get a two or three hand watch, without a chronograph, dress watches should be simple and understated.

Anyhow, this is a review of the older Vacheron Overseas.

http://www.tp178.com...nsVCreview1.htm

watch3.jpg

Edited by calatrava