When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Apple Visionary Steve Jobs Dies At 56

txcollector

freddy is exactly right.. Steve was very smart in using/marketing other people's inventions.. that with his contribution wouldn't be such a success. from Wikipedia: "Jobs returned to his previous job at Atari and was given the task of creating a circuit board for the game Breakout. According to Atari founder Nolan Bushnell, Atari had offered $100 for each chip that was eliminated in the machine. Jobs had little interest or knowledge in circuit board design and made a deal with Wozniak to split the bonus evenly between them if Wozniak could minimize the number of chips. Much to the amazement of Atari, Wozniak reduced the number of chips by 50, a design so tight that it was impossible to reproduce on an assembly line. According to Wozniak, Jobs told Wozniak that Atari had only given them $700 (instead of the actual $5,000) and that Wozniak's share was thus $350"

that was the attitude of the man, but still is the genius that made possible things that we all need every day. Obama today said "here may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented" or stealed? but he did it, and we owe him, even if we paid huge money for those devices, making him and his company immensely rich, more than necessary. even if the company underpaid work (I worked for Apple, and I know about, but I mean Foxconn and so on), but all the companies do that.

the man was not a saint, but a sinner, but still a genius. and life stole him around 30 years, so he paid for his sins. RIP Steve.

The coupling of a capacitive screen to a cellphone was bound to happen as mobile computing power increased, just as an operating system with a gui was bound to come along with the increase in computing power These companies are simply able to monopolize on them. Just like as our networks increase with moores law our computers and cellphones will disappear and end up being simple displays with a network connection, processing from a supercomputer under the ocean in china somewhere. Think of the DRM capable on those bad boys, someone in the future is going to be a wicked visionary then. Though it is sad I think the hype is simply lost on me. :(

Edited by turnipz

It is indeed a sad day, but being in the trade I can tell you he has done *extremely* well for his underlying health condition.

He had a neuroendocrine tumour of his pancreas diagnosed in 2004 and had a liver transplant in 2009.

His determination and stoicism to beat his illness is just typical of his attitude to life.

Rest in peace ...

People who have observed that Jobs benefitted from the inventions of others miss the point. Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile either, but he made it possible for everyday working people to own one.

That is the genius of Jobs. He was brilliant enoung to have a vision of a society where owning a PC would be like owning a toaster; at some point everyone would have one. True, the Xerox Parc featured an early graphic interface, but how many were sold? Jobs understood the just how valuable this interface was and envisioned a society where common household uses would be made simple through a relatively low cost personal computing devise. Same with the MP3.

It was Jobs' vision that set him apart. That and the attention to detail and the focus on quality

• Like 1

People who have observed that Jobs benefitted from the inventions of others miss the point. Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile either, but he made it possible for everyday working people to own one.

That is the genius of Jobs. He was brilliant enoung to have a vision of a society where owning a PC would be like owning a toaster; at some point everyone would have one. True, the Xerox Parc featured an early graphic interface, but how many were sold? Jobs understood the just how valuable this interface was and envisioned a society where common household uses would be made simple through a relatively low cost personal computing devise. Same with the MP3.

It was Jobs' vision that set him apart. That and the attention to detail and the focus on quality

+1

Agreed - Technology is about the evolution of products. Who cares who invented the Integrated Circuit, I care about who developed it into a product that provides me a benefit. I had an HTC smartphone before the iPhone came out and it was neat and provided me a one stop source for phone/pda/music/gps, but it was slow, clunky and no-where-near intuitively designed, then came the iPhone. True it wasn't first, but it definitely was best, and I feel that Apple has done that in many different categories (Desktops/Laptops/TabletPC's)

Steve Jobs will be greatly missed, and I hope there are others in the wings who will step in to fill the huge vacancy/vacuum left by Steve's death.

You all think Xerox Palo Alto Research Centre invented the GUI?! (#1 myth on the interweb). I suggest you read up a little on your computer history. Or, you can watch

from the Augmentation Research Center at Stanford Research Institute in 1968.

Steve Jobs made computing insanely great! For this, I will forever be grateful.

Being in the industry myself, and working just down the street from Apple world headquarters, let me just say that this has Silicon Valley in a frenzy.

Here's an email from John Cooley who runs DeepChip.com, a discussion board centering around semiconductor development, that puts things in a computer nerd perspective...

And for the uninitiated, HW = hardware, SW = software :)

Hi, Readers,

I had a DeepChip email blast all set up and ready to go out today,

but I found myself too disturbed by the news of Steve Jobs' death.

While there's a sea SW guys and dot com babies like Bill Gates and

Mark Zuckerberg who get endless overenthusiastic praise for some

1's and 0's they tapped out on a keyboard, Steve Jobs was one of

the few HW guys who got any press for the *real* life-changing

innovations HW makes.

On top of that, his life wasn't all happiness and joy; he had major

major major publicly embarrassing repeat setbacks -- yet he still

came back and changed the world again and again.

In short, Steve was one of us.

And now he's gone.

I'll resume the normal DeepChip.com email blast next week. I just

don't feel up to doing it today. Sorry.

- John Cooley

DeepChip.com