When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

There is really no interest in Porsche design watches,is there..

Dave123

Odd.

They make one fugly automobile and dorks seem to like them. They have these watches and nobody seems interested yet i see in Josh's forum another "Porsche design! 2 years to make!,perfect replication etc..."....they keep taking a stab at these when there are so many other reps that people would be interested in.

Reminds me of a few years ago and one of the "super reps" of the year had to be one of these and nobody bought it,yet here they are doing it again...what a waste of time.

Why the lack of interest from buyers yet the interest to make them from "factories". Any idea whats going on with these....meh,just something i dont get about this hobby.

PD diver is cool, like the Eterna KonTiki.

What, no love for the PD Worldtimer??? I picked one up from Andrew and I really like it, it's very light, the strap is comfortable, and I don't have to try and guess what time it is in London.

Jeff

would love to see a wristie jeffw69 :)

No great fan of the Porsche watches. I Had a Chronograph. Well made, but it did not do it for me.. The watches are kind of high-tech, but personally I like Sinn way better.

The Worldtimer is quite odd as it lacks date-function?

Got to agree with Ken .... same as the Ferrari PAMs...

But I guess outside the walls of this forum there is a good market for what you could arguably call aspirational or wannabe watches... just as there is with the other branded accessories you see people wearing....

I am sure we can all say we have seen guys walking around with baseball caps, T Shirts, Shirts, and those bloody awful jackets covered in sponsor logos that the wearers some how think others will think mean they are racing drivers, Prestige marque owners etc...

PD diver is cool, like the Eterna KonTiki.

What, no love for the PD Worldtimer??? I picked one up from Andrew and I really like it, it's very light, the strap is comfortable, and I don't have to try and guess what time it is in London.

Jeff

The new Porsche diver IS the KonTiki with a few modifications. Eterna was bought by Porsche and then sold to a Chinese company.

http://www.watchtime.com/2011/06/porsche-sells-eterna-to-international-volant-limited-of-china/

Eterna has a long history, including creating ETA.

The KonTiki is a really nice watch. I agree with Porsche name doesn't add anything to it but it doesn't take away from the innovative design either.

You guys are mixing up what exactly these Porsche watches are. Porsche maintains its own design house which, in addition to designing vehicles for the parent company, designs a bevy of other household and other mundane every day products. Its this 'Porsche Design Group' which produces these watches, and while yes they are majority owned by the car manufacturer, they work autonomously and create their own products as well as lend their design prowess to other companies who outsource their design work. Porsche Design in-house produces these watches, a line of sunglasses, lighters, luggage and more. I also have a LACIE brand external hard drive that was designed by Porsche for Lacie.

So to compare these to Ferrari brand PAMs or other car watches isn't exactly fair. In fact, Tudor is the official watch of Porsche Motorsports at the moment although I do not believe they go as far as to co-brand and of the models with Porsche actually on the dial.

My guess is that these Porsche Design watches sell well in countries where Porsche products are more independently pushed from the car brand. Perhaps in Europe? Asia? I have no idea.

LOL...Dave always stiring the pot...thats are Dave. :D

Although I dont necessarly agree with you about the cars... I do agree about the porsche reps.

Wish they would have put some of that effort Into the new SOH chrono...Instead they mucked It up. :bangin: and so close.

Mike

For me those watches that are branded with car logos, racing drivers etc really dosent do it for me. I dont want a Porsche logo on my watch, nor Alfa label on my Chopard etc etc. Would be another matter if i HAD a porsche or a Alfa on my driveway.. But thats not the case and it never will be. Fake watches is fine.. but faking i have a porsche.. thats my limit..

Hmm if they release a Volvo watch.. i might go for it. Bling bling!! ;)

Would be another matter if i HAD a porsche or a Alfa on my driveway.. But thats not the case and it never will be. Fake watches is fine.. but faking i have a porsche.. thats my limit..

Up until a couple of months ago I had a Porsche and the worst thing I could think of doing would be to draw attention to the fact by having a watch, suitcase, pen, laptop bag or item of clothing with the logo on it.

Blimey such a lot of negativity about these watches I suppose what we really need is a new vintage Rolex or even a Historic Panerai maybe be a J or a K or M or even an N series............................ cos we seriously don't have enough of those do we!!!

Personally I think its hats off to the dealers/makers for taking the time to bring something new and unusual to the market . That world timer if it works correctly looks actually to be quite a useful function above and beyond the usual GMT's. The diver is really an interesting design and looks to be an incredibly difficult watch to replicate when you compared to the same old same old bog standard stuff that comes out. I know it had its faults but it is really interesting.

I remember back on the 80's whilst every one was lusting of Tags, I always like the IWC Titanium designed Porsche watches they were really cool.

We all know the Ferrari reps were some of the best out of the box watches and its really only us members that create a fictitious stigma around them. I saw a guy with a gen on recently and it was a cool looking watch.

Come on guys I think we need to be a bit more adventurous with our watches , seriously do we need more 1665 or 005's that we just criticise to the most minuscule detail or do we just like watches in general and wear them to enjoy them

Much as I hate to say it.... I agree with ST ;):)

I would like to see some other marques being revisited by the factories especially the biggies ;)

Blimey such a lot of negativity about these watches I suppose what we really need is a new vintage Rolex or even a Historic Panerai maybe be a J or a K or M or even an N series............................ cos we seriously don't have enough of those do we!!!

Personally I think its hats off to the dealers/makers for taking the time to bring something new and unusual to the market . That world timer if it works correctly looks actually to be quite a useful function above and beyond the usual GMT's. The diver is really an interesting design and looks to be an incredibly difficult watch to replicate when you compared to the same old same old bog standard stuff that comes out. I know it had its faults but it is really interesting.

I remember back on the 80's whilst every one was lusting of Tags, I always like the IWC Titanium designed Porsche watches they were really cool.

We all know the Ferrari reps were some of the best out of the box watches and its really only us members that create a fictitious stigma around them. I saw a guy with a gen on recently and it was a cool looking watch.

Come on guys I think we need to be a bit more adventurous with our watches , seriously do we need more 1665 or 005's that we just criticise to the most minuscule detail or do we just like watches in general and wear them to enjoy them

Fair enough. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Porsche Design stuff.... i have 3 Porsche design watches and wear them all the time .. love the flat 6 but it does not fit right on my wrist .. i wear the "limited 911" as a daily wear... god knows how many other random Porsche Design items around the house ..... my mouse for one lol : P hmmm a lot of stuff except clothing .. think thats a little over the top .. i do have a martini racing subtle looking polo but no crest on it .. and an adidias PD jacket .. also very subtle no crest ... im a huge Porsche lover so pretty much everything i have has to do with porsches in some way or another.. when i visit my parents a few times a year i pop by the Porsche Design store in the mall in Aventura,FL and Champion in Pompano Beach : ) drool... before the question comes ... yes ! i do own ... and drive ....since i started driving ive had em...I am a 3rd generation Porsche enthusiast ... so its kind of in my blood : P ...