When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

212 Crystals.. Are there any available?

cdigi

Can anyone please help point me into the right direction. I know there were several projects / attempts at this but I am unsure of any outcome. If anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know. I hate to see the watch sitting unused :(

Certainly not heard of any progress mate, indeed the one likely one fell to the wayside... but given the gen construction method I would think its a forlorn hope :)

But thats no reason to have it sitting in the box mate.... ;)

Certainly not heard of any progress mate, indeed the one likely one fell to the wayside... but given the gen construction method I would think its a forlorn hope :)

But thats no reason to have it sitting in the box mate.... ;)

I guess I can wear it with a shattered crystal and start a new trend!

As I recall they been tried mate... but the shape is wrong a least the mineral you have is better in terms of on your wrist...

If you go back over the crystal run threads you will find discussions on these ones mate :)

Have you considered replacing it with a plexi crystal..??....My 217 shattered out, and I found a decent plexi at OFrei for $4.00!!...Look in their on line catalog for hi dome pocket watch stuff...

It won't be perfect, but the 212's are a long way from perfect anyhow....

I used to buy crystals (mineral) for 212/253 from MlitaryTime, I just asked for crystal for their MM111 model - link

It was quite cheap (~US$20). I never used it with latest 212/253 watches (H-factory), but it worked for me with few previous models.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

I found this but I am not sure if it will work. I would need to research further. Does anyone have any guesses?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item483f9be0e0

I bought a whole fully functioning 212 for a little more than 1/2 the price of that crystal!!.....sheesh!!

IMG_2386.jpg

granted, it's the "old" model with the wrong sec markers, and the lo-beat 7750, but it's in almost mint condition....with an intact crystal!!..;-)

Taka crystal are not on his website....yet...

:)

I still wouldnt pin my hopes on these as the OEM construction is very difficult to reproduce without expense.... Not only the corundum but the 2 piece construction... hence why Bart's never got any further ...

Taka crystal are not on his website....yet...

:)

I still wouldnt pin my hopes on these as the OEM construction is very difficult to reproduce without expense.... Not only the corundum but the 2 piece construction... hence why Bart's never got any further ...

Pete.. the crystal is two pieces!?? i recall you having difficulty removing the crystal on this new version.. did you ever get it off?

Hi mate

Sorry for confusion... I was referring to the construction method used by OP (I missed out a word)- Here is Extract from Barts original thread :)

Manufacturing the Dome Crystals for PAM 212 and the larger PAM 127

Okay fellas, I thought I would pass along the information I have learned on the latest 1:1 crystal project. Below are the steps that Panerai's sub contractor uses to make one of their crystals.

DomeCrystalTutorial.png

The biggest hurdle, I am told, is the set labeled number 5 above. If the second mold is not lined up perfectly, the whole crystal is considered a 'reject' and is a waste of product. In mass manufacturing like this, a loss of over 5% can be disastrous to the bottom line.

This is why (I believe), this project has never been completed to anyway near 1:1 proportions with genuine sapphire.

This is how a mineral crystal is made:

MineralCrystalTutorial-1.jpg

Obviously, the mineral Crystals are easier and far cheaper. But they will break easier.

I didnt but someone else did.....there was an inner rehaut/ slip ring that held it in place as it didnt fit the case properly without it..

And I think possibly it was a concious effort to reduce the risk of damage to the crystal as we have seen historically with these...

• 2 weeks later...