When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hey guys I'm looking for a good date just

mariano86

Most people around here who are serious about the Datejust opt for the 36mm one since gen cases and dials are readily available and you can build a nice franken for a reasonable price. The DJ II is newer so gen parts are rare and that basically leaves you buying a rep. But beyond that, you're just going to have to jump in. I wouldn't worry about the tells as much as just trying to buy a decent one that you like which will hopefully give you good service. Good luck.

Hi,

It sounds like the specific model you are looking for the DateJust II (which is the larger 42mm case size). I have a gen DateJust and in looking at the reps the most obvious tell to me are the bezels. Most rep bezels just look a bit too big compared to the gen's. Hard to describe but on the newer models the overall impression to me on the reps I've looked at is too much bling (I guess it depends if you like that or not). There are also so many dial combinations available on DJ's it's hard to say which is best or closest. So it would be a matter of comparing the specific dial you're interested in to the gen dial. Best of luck!

You can basically have a gen DJ for under a grand minus the movement! I just finished mine which i used gen everything minus ETA 2836-2

I just bought almost all I need to build my second DJ, Gen case, gen linen dial, gen plexi, gen bracelet (without clasp), gen engine turned bezel, gen springbars, Clarks Tudor hands.........so far all I have spent is $290 and I need a clasp, datewheel overlay (If anyone has a noobmariner overlay to spare I'll gladly buy it), and an eta 2836 to finish it, so around $500 should easily see all the parts needed.

I may build another, possibly like the one described above, very casually accumulating the parts this time, over time. Last time I looked I didn't see any cases for grabs, or at least not any within a reasonable price. I guess they come in waves The bracelet, bezel, and everything else seem more easily available.

I just bought almost all I need to build my second DJ, Gen case, gen linen dial, gen plexi, gen bracelet (without clasp), gen engine turned bezel, gen springbars, Clarks Tudor hands.........so far all I have spent is $290 and I need a clasp, datewheel overlay (If anyone has a noobmariner overlay to spare I'll gladly buy it), and an eta 2836 to finish it, so around $500 should easily see all the parts needed.

Not bad!! only reason mine was pricey was my dial and case alone were 500 ETA 200 crown 75 white gold bezel etc etc

Not bad!! only reason mine was pricey was my dial and case alone were 500 ETA 200 crown 75 white gold bezel etc etc

Got mine from A&E on eBay, the first one I bought was a Buy it now Offer of $155 for case+crystal+crown (no bezel) the silver linen dial from the same people was $90. Sealed Eta 2836-2 from Ofrei $150, cClarks hands $12 (I think), Cheapo Raffles Jubilee was $20ish (& seems good when compared to the quality of the age approiate Rolex ones which weren't that great anyways)

The second one I bought parts for was from the same people (A&E) in an auction this time round - case+crystal+crown+linen dial+springbars+bracelet & endlinks (no clasp) total was $258 (they usually list them as buy it now @ $750).

I made an offer on a $59 Buy it now/best offer engine turned bezel from Jewelerstools & got it for $35.

Gary Clark kindly sent me a free set of hands, I told him I had trouble with the first set being too tight and needed to be broached, he said that should not have happened and sent me a gratis set....nice one, great guy to deal with.

Both linen dials are spotless, no scratches, with good print and look good as new, cases have been gently refinished and are in good shape with no dings, crystal on first one was a bit wavy the second one looks mint.

Patience is the key with these, there are still some decent deals to be had, I've been very lucky with lowball offers.

Edited by dublinlad

Very cool Dublin! Forgot to mention my DJ bracelet is gen from end links to clasp got it for 250 from a watchmaker and only thing I would upgrade on mine is a better movement ring for eta...mine is made of cheap plastic how did you mount the ETA to the case?

I honestly haven't got a clue what I used for the first one, I looked through my box 'o' spares and found a brass ring that was just the right size with a tiny bit of filing for the tabs, dunno what I will use this time around - Ken @ rafflestime has 2 different movement rings for eta movements they are pretty cheap so I ordered both sizes, I'm hoping that at least one of them will fit even if it needs a bit of filing or whatever, if that doesn't work I'll figure something out then.