When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ap montauk highway

Mr Z

anyone know the going price of a gen ap montauk highway::: ive found one around £10k ... is that a good price .. its a 2009 mint condition with box and full papers ... LOVE THE REP THAT MUCH ... JUST HAVE TO BUY THE GEN !!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ever since i got my montauk highway rep .. i really wanted to get the gen . but been debating whether i wanted to spend like $28k so i done

lot of internet searching , and just gave up on the idea .. then i was doing a few Google searches for the comparison on the gen and rep .. just came across gen for sale ... and the price was quiet low and checking against others that were selling the watch as in like for like as in box and papers and condition .. i thought id send a email and see if it was still for sale luckily is still was to my surprise .. so after 2 weeks of email and phone call i made a time and date , to go meet face to face , not so easy as im in the uk and the seller was in Holland , so i booked the ticket ,and to meet in the ap dealer to authenticate the watch to my surprise it all checked out .. so i done the deal and now back in good old London ...so i am comparing the two watch ..not a GREAT DEAL IN IT .. apart from the usual tell tail signs ..the colour on the dial and the blues are off and a few other things ..to be honest i love em both ... will post side by side pics after .. a good sleep

Congratulations on a fine acquisition..but I cant help but notice how good the rep looks.

I mean the chances of two people wearing this same watch...one being a rep..the other a gen...running Into each other...just saying...and I guess there is quite the price difference. ;)

Again...congratulations.

Mike

Significant difference in the blue tones. The gen's rehaut/numerals have an incredible pop under sunlight. Also, an easy tell I only noticed in a side-by-side comparo .. the center pivot point of hour/minute hands are larger in diameter vs. rep.

Order a gen white strap for the summer!

well spotted never noticed that ... yes looking for a white strap as we speak ... but not the off white from ap bands !!!

The gen numbers and dial is creamy and glowy as compared to the rep which is more powdery. Also the numbers are bolder on rep as compared to the more slimmer and with sharper definition on the gen.

Do you think the screws on the gen are sharper and sleeker as compared to slightly more bulkier ones on the rep? Also are they noticeably more sunken on the gen? How is the AR?

yes ur totally right about the dail and the glowy colours .. the rep just more brighter in its colours ..which numbers??

the hex screws are slightly bigger on the rep ,, the gen are smaller ...the sunken screws u really cannot notice as its hard to see when wearing the watch .. but on the macro shot pics it can be seen much easier

no ar on the rep

gen on the left

PC010009.jpg

gen on left : the buckle side profile has the pin holes on the rep and slightly short length

PC010010.jpg

gen on right

PC010014.jpg

gen

PC010015.jpg

rep

PC010016.jpg

gen on left : u can see on the rep the thicker case and case back and side profile lug are thicker

PC010026.jpg

gen on top :: rep where the pusher meet the case the profile slighty thicker

PC010027.jpg

gen: raised bevel edged glass

PC010028.jpg

rep: non raised bevel edged glass

PC010029.jpg

case back not much difference there the engraving on the back pretty much the same apart from the thinner font used in the issue number .rep has the beaded case finish just like the gen

PC010030.jpg

rep

PC010032.jpg

gen

PC010033.jpg

gen on right

PC010040-1.jpg

gen on right

PC010041-1.jpg

gen

PC010043.jpg

rep

PC010044.jpg

here are side by side pics ...

PC010036nn-1-2.jpg

Untitlednew-2-1.jpg

if i never had the gen to compare i wont not have know .. about the colour difference as the lighting playing a big part when compare pics ... but side to side u can see diff

1.tachymeter colour is baby blue on rep:: gen is more a aqua blue

2.the sud dials are like a deep burgundy colour on the rep . gen there like a lightish brown its hard to describe

2a. the sub dials have a small circles on the rep: gen not just a flat colour

3.the hour number are the wrong blue the dark on the rep more

light blue on the gen !

4. rose gold on the rep but normal gold colour on the gen

5. date font to thin on rep

6. ap on the dial is not bold like the gen

7. dial colour is much more creamer on the gen the rep is much whiter

8. strap colour and stitching my hktan is just little to dark and the blue to bright comparing to the gen

9. glass is flush on the rep: gen slightly raised and bevelled edged

having said all that u would only know the difference if u had the gen .. or got them side by side otherwise u just would not know how they compare ! apart from the other usual tell tail signs ..the rep is a great effort and im still going to wear them both ... might even sell the gen .. i will see !!!

just up loading more pics !!!!

ohh and the quality of the rep is amazing considering the price difference just wanted to say the rep is truly amazing down to the finish of the brushed steel and the polished side of the bezel and all the little details on the rep theres not much in the weight department as well !! !! awesome .. for the price its a no brainier £560 with hktan starp to £20k gen ... thats why im keeping both ..

I think ive covered all the angle and the difference ive seen i know there are a few more and im not going to get anal about it thats!! all the pics ive taken is there is anything that i missed out as for comprison just ask and ill do my best to take some pics ... sorry not had time and write a full compare .. but the best i a can do in my old age lol or more like being lazy today ...still need more sleep

My GOD!! u killed the picture department mate!! Excellent pictures and insight there Zorro. I think this one will definitely become a sticky! Thank you so much for all the effort you have put in. Further to your observations I think the engraving in general is a little bit lighter on the rep whereas on the gen its more intense. Also the AP on the crown on the gen is quite prominent whereas on the rep I feel its more of a 'laser printed ' type.

The strap on the gen is very very sexy indeed. I think it has more red wine touch to it as compared to HKTAN's darker brown colour. The stitches however match the respective colours.

But like you said the rep is beautiful piece of art. Enjoy both of them ..( I once was dating a twin ;) )

yes i wanted to make sure i covered all the angles on the pics lol.. yes i know there are more differences s but as i said im not going to pick the rep apart ..just pointing out the obvious flaws .. the hktan colour choice was my own ..so hence the diff colour to the gen strap !!! but he does have a close colour match .... shame about ur twin lol ... i hope u find her soon