When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Warning-6497 movement W/O seconds-disaster on your wrist

RWG Technical

I don't think you scrolled down far enough...have a look at the last 2 pics...

Sorry, reading my post back I was not so clear. What I meant was to actually see it happen, as in observe directly as the spring unwound and the hands went flying around. Seeing the final damage is one thing (Yikes) but to watch it transpire would be a whole other ball of wax :) Ever seen one go like that first hand?

For people like me, who have no watchmaking skills, this kind of post is an absolute education!

While I regard myself as being quite technically minded, I neither have the tools or the know-how to do anything inside a watch, however, I understand exactly what this post is explaining.

I, and probably hundreds more like me, have learned so much about various different watch movements and how they work, or why they don't, from reading fantastic posts like this one.

Thank you Zigmeister and all the other members who have shared their knowledge.

Keep it coming!

Yes in fact, I did see and witness one happen, this one in fact, as soon as it reached full wind, it let go (and so did I) and blew up in my hand, sounded like a cat when you step on it's tail...

Eeeek. I can only imagine that sound coming from inside a watch!

• 3 months later...

I shipped my H factory 390 from Joshua to The Zigmeister last week. Not sure if he has already seen one but maybe he will comment after he services mine..;)

Wheel nomenclature

“roue de seconde” Francais - modern

“roue de champ” Francais - classical

“sekundenrad “ Deutsch

“second wheel” English – etaspeak

“fourth wheel” English – UK/US

To properly shorten the pinion, it should be:

- "chucked" in the lathe

- "parted off" with the TC graver

- "profiled"

- polished.

sm iiH!

Why do I spend hours writing and editing the text so that it's understandable to everyone, when no is bothering to spend 3 minutes reading what's been written.

If you actually read the post, the answer is right there, in fact it's just above the picture...surprisingly most of the valuable information and insight is in the text, but to gain that valuable information and insight you have to read the post, not just look at the pictures... The pictures only support the text, they don't replace it.

Here is an example of this happening, this particular watch had a 3rd wheel failure, but the 2nd wheel failing will do the same damage as you see here.

8.jpg

Why do I spend hours writing and editing the text so that it's understandable to everyone, when no is bothering to spend 3 minutes reading what's been written. If you actually read the post, the answer is right there, in fact it's just above the picture...surprisingly most of the valuable information and insight is in the text, but to gain that valuable information and insight you have to read the post, not just look at the pictures... The pictures only support the text, they don't replace it.

Sometimes people just like to look at the pretty pictures and never bother to read anything ;)

Please don't stop your write ups because of these people! They are truly informative and helpful!!! :tu:

Why do I spend hours writing and editing the text so that it's understandable to everyone, when no is bothering to spend 3 minutes reading what's been written.

If you actually read the post, the answer is right there, in fact it's just above the picture...surprisingly most of the valuable information and insight is in the text, but to gain that valuable information and insight you have to read the post, not just look at the pictures... The pictures only support the text, they don't replace it.

I did read everything. But the 3rd wheel just doesnt make sense to me since there is a sec@3 (I assume the sec@3 is the one connected to the 3rd wheel?)

I suppose this article is there to educate members, and Im appreciative of it, you have my respect.

But asking question on matters that one do not understand, is a process of learning isnt it?

And I dont think mine qualify as a worthless question.

Edited by ShiroTenshi

Great review thanks Zig.

I managed to achieve something similar in my early days to watchmaking (watch tinkering), didn't realize you had to let the power out of the spring first and removed a few parts anyway.. so say the hands spun fast is a under statement.