When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A2824 and 2836 keyless parts... interchangable?

mastrmindalliance

Hi, i have an a2824 that the keyless keeps screwing up on it's own. I only have spare parts from 2836 , both an asian and an ETA. I know the stems are different but are the other keyless parts interchangable?

I'd buy the spare parts but there are no good options. Ofrie is a nightmare if you're in Aus. Cousins price with shipping is nearly the cost of a whole new movement and Ebay - well, how to know if you're buying eta or clone? So, i'd like to fix it with parts on hand if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks guys, Knowing what i know about these two culprits, I would have thought so too. But at least on mine, the stems aren't interchangable. Or rather, the A2824 stem won't work with the 2836. It won't engage at all.

So what about exchanging all the parts except for clutch and and wind pinion?

i hope you don't think i'm being lazy here... i'm asking for advice because i don't have the experience to know which exact part would be the problem. While this movement has taught me a lot, it's getting on my nerves now with the constant keyless breakdowns and I just want it fixed.

:)

I bought 6 eta stems about 2 years ago and have used 5 of them in assorted movements with no regards to Swiss or Asian and they always worked. I'm sure at least one of those movements had to be Asian.

Have you taken out the keyless parts and tried to see if they will actually slip onto the stem?

Have you tried pushing in the release button while you insert the stem? I've got an obstinate Asian movement the the stem will never go in without pushing the release button and even then it takes some finagling.

All the keyless parts from 2824-2 and 2836-2 are interchangeable, as far as I know.

I will try the other variations of stems and clutcch etc that I have on hand today

The 2824 in queston has actually been fully serviced, so perhaps they were exchanged for ETA equivalents at the time. One thing I know for sure ATM is that the stem in my serviced A2824 stem won't work with the A2836. It goes in ok but but wont 'catch'.

I guess I have my my answer though - that they should be exchangable - so I'll give it a go and report back.

Thansk for the input guys :)

I think you have the answer to your root cause of the keyless works problem. Sounds like the wrong stem was used at some point in the 2824. As mentioned the stems are the same for 280x/2824/2836/2846 and probably a few other ETAs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen clone movements that use a different stem and I recently could not find the correct stem for one of my A2824 movements so I out the ETA gears in the keyless and used an ETA stem. But, they are often the same...

I think you have the answer to your root cause of the keyless works problem. Sounds like the wrong stem was used at some point in the 2824. As mentioned the stems are the same for 280x/2824/2836/2846 and probably a few other ETAs.

Sorry i missed this reply. Thanks!

I have seen clone movements that use a different stem and I recently could not find the correct stem for one of my A2824 movements so I out the ETA gears in the keyless and used an ETA stem. But, they are often the same...

yeah, they are definitely not the same. I have two 2836 movements on hand, one confirmed eta, one asian. They're the same.And one '2824' (quotes probably required), it's definitely not the same under the loupe. The keyless parts look the same although different finishes throughout the three movements. if I swap in the keyless parts from either of the 2836s into the 2824 i have to use a 2836 stem. Its weirdness is beyond my skill level.

Thanks for the replies. Interestingly, the movement I have had most trouble with is 2824s.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

The Eta 2836 and 2824 keyless works are the same in both movements. If you let me know the eta part numbers you need I can let you have them for a nominal fee of $10.00, you pick the shipping method and the price you want to pay for shipping.

The parts I have are genuine ETA, I'm not sure about eta clone parts fitting.

I also have a few 2836, 2834 and 2824 movements they are used but are all working and timed out, nice clean condition

Best Regards,

Adrian