When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project: Rolex Commando, Ref: 6429

Donerix 2.0

I want to build one for a friend who fell in love with it, but just can't drop the $15K on it right now :)

Commando.jpg

Released in 1972, made solely for one year. The least expensive watch in the Rolex catalog at the time, it is now one of the rarest Rolex ever made. It features the coveted “Explorer 3,6,9? dial & markers. Considered a spartan version of the famous Explorer, it is thinner as result of the manual wind movement. The watch is especially desirable for the Explorer style in conjunction with the bold “COMMANDO” on dial.

So any suggestions on how to get a dial?

I have a suitable case and movement ready to go.

Would love to get some expert opinions on this one.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Woow Don!

Never new rolex made a dial like that! I would love to have one like that! A cool vintage soft leather strap would look so darn sexy on this one!

Pleas keep us posted about this project, i realy want to see it finished if you have luck with the dial!

I can imagine that you could make a new dial by using water transfer marks. I belive somebody in here used it for a Space dweller project.

You can't print white on a typical printer for waterside, you need an Alps or similar with white ink.

Talk to these people. Betcha they can do it.

http://www.krdial.com/

No legitimate dial refinishers that I know of will change a dial to make it a different model. They get asked all the time and sometimes have a statement about it on their site.

Really interesting thread here -- I don't know if they will change the model of the dial, but the answer will be interesting for sure

About the 16520 to 6263 dial... Yes... but it's still a 16520 dial...

Do they really want to make the full transformation from an Explorer dial to a very limited dial who really exists ?

Not sure about that :g:

You can't print white on a typical printer for waterside, you need an Alps or similar with white ink.

That's true, you cannot print white with a normal inkjet printer, but you can use white water-slide decal paper, or paint the bare dial while and use the clear water-slide paper. But someone with a better skills than me would have to do the lume for the numbers.

I could be wrong, but I think the Commando was only 31mm, which is small even for a womans watch these days.

Also remember reading somewhere that they were mostly sold at Abercrombie and Fitch stores as watches for "boys", maybe one of the intermediate Datejust cases would be a close match sizewise - but would anybody actually wear a watch that small?

Yep, according to Christie's it is 34mm. http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5065386

"Lot Description

Rolex. An extremely rare stainless steel water-resistant wristwatch with sweep centre seconds and bracelet

Rolex, Oyster, Commando, ref. 6429, case no. 2'075'578, manufactured in 1969

Cal. 1225 nickel-finished lever movement, 17 jewels, the black dial with luminous Arabic and baton numerals, luminous hands, sweep centre seconds, in tonneau-shaped water-resistant-type case with screw back and screw down crown, stainless steel Rolex Oyster bracelet with clasp stamped GF for Gay Frères and 7-72, case, dial and movement signed

34 mm. diam."

Sold for $21,500 in 2008.

• 7 years later...
I want to build one for a friend who fell in love with it, but just can't drop the $15K on it right now

Commando.jpg

Released in 1972, made solely for one year. The least expensive watch in the Rolex catalog at the time, it is now one of the rarest Rolex ever made. It features the coveted “Explorer 3,6,9? dial & markers. Considered a spartan version of the famous Explorer, it is thinner as result of the manual wind movement. The watch is especially desirable for the Explorer style in conjunction with the bold “COMMANDO” on dial.

So any suggestions on how to get a dial?
I have a suitable case and movement ready to go.
Would love to get some expert opinions on this one.
Hi Donerix 2.0 ...
I read that old topic and I'd really like to know if you achieved to build that 6429.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

4 hours ago, JoeyB said:

I made this a few years ago for Donerix. You are welcomed to you use it. 

Commando dial 3.JPG

Thant's really kind of you Joey !!! 

I was just wondering if Donerix had finished his project to know if he would share some of the problems he had and solutions he found while building that Commando.

Mine is already on the bench at the moment ... I'm about to finish the case reworking and the dial and hands are ... just waiting for me to lume

IMG_1276.thumb.jpg.e80358b4827dd5397af9fe50e6894c91.jpg

• Like 1