When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SOSF Swiss vs. SOSF Asian

agp

Maxman is correct.. There are several hybrid versions of both though swiss and asian versions though... The SOSF is scarce these days. Not probable that most dealers will have them in stock. It's one of my favorite watches though!

Thats right...these are very hard to come by now...as Is the Seawolf.

The cheeper ones with the 21j movement are still around I believe...but Im not 100% sure on that.

Mike

there are definitely differences...but unfortunately, they are built with various cases, dials, dws, crystals and coating...yes - there's many combinations...i know this first hand after owning many of them...on the case, you will see that on some the bezel covers the watch face, and others you can see the watch case...there are differences in the shape of the crown guards - the flat is larger on one versus the other...also, the crystal on one is flush with the case, on the other it rises slightly...

there's also differences in movement/dw combinations...the orig models with gen eta had gen eta dw...then they went to a more accurate dw, but it was put on an eta clone...

the best combination is only achieved by putting a couple together...gen eta movement with breitling dw...crystal with double ar flush...crown guard has larger flat areas...bezel is slightly smaller than the case -exposing the case near the edge...

there are differences in dials, too...

bottom line - i would always go for the best dial and dw...

good luck...

here's mine - with gen dial...

R-

13978740.jpg

there are definitely differences...but unfortunately, they are built with various cases, dials, dws, crystals and coating...yes - there's many combinations...i know this first hand after owning many of them...on the case, you will see that on some the bezel covers the watch face, and others you can see the watch case...there are differences in the shape of the crown guards - the flat is larger on one versus the other...also, the crystal on one is flush with the case, on the other it rises slightly...

there's also differences in movement/dw combinations...the orig models with gen eta had gen eta dw...then they went to a more accurate dw, but it was put on an eta clone...

the best combination is only achieved by putting a couple together...gen eta movement with breitling dw...crystal with double ar flush...crown guard has larger flat areas...bezel is slightly smaller than the case -exposing the case near the edge...

there are differences in dials, too...

bottom line - i would always go for the best dial and dw...

good luck...

here's mine - with gen dial...

R-

13978740.jpg

Awesome. What can be said beyond that?

Still have my swissfish from when they 1st came out, great watch, came with a gen nickle plated eta in it.

SFSO.jpg

SFSOETABLACK.jpg

SOSF.jpg

R-

are the Breitling DW different from the ETA DW's?

regarding breitling date font versus eta date font--> yes...if you take a look at my watch it has a breitling date font - notice the "7" in "27"...then take a look at P4's eta date font's "7" in "17"...notice the difference?...same is true for the other numbers...

re: P4's nickel-plated original version...its a true eta movement and it has an eta datewheel...these had very nice dials - the best...but there was a version that came out in limited quantities at about the same time - it had the usual brass/gold eta movement (genuine, too) but had a breitling date font datewheel -- it too, had the best dial...then there a couple of clone eta movement versions - with breitling date font date wheels...

regarding my comment on the bezel and case edge - you can see what i mean in P4's last pix...notice how you can see the case top near the edge around 9 o'clock?...

hope all this helps...

others can chime in...but i spent an obsessive amount of time researching the various configurations of the steelfish and have owned at least 6 different "swiss" versions...i finally determined that the "best" rep of the steelfish needed to be assembled...

R-

regarding breitling date font versus eta date font--> yes...if you take a look at my watch it has a breitling date font - notice the "7" in "27"...then take a look at P4's eta date font's "7" in "17"...notice the difference?...same is true for the other numbers...

re: P4's nickel-plated original version...its a true eta movement and it has an eta datewheel...these had very nice dials - the best...but there was a version that came out in limited quantities at about the same time - it had the usual brass/gold eta movement (genuine, too) but had a breitling date font datewheel -- it too, had the best dial...then there a couple of clone eta movement versions - with breitling date font date wheels...

regarding my comment on the bezel and case edge - you can see what i mean in P4's last pix...notice how you can see the case top near the edge around 9 o'clock?...

hope all this helps...

others can chime in...but i spent an obsessive amount of time researching the various configurations of the steelfish and have owned at least 6 different "swiss" versions...i finally determined that the "best" rep of the steelfish needed to be assembled...

R-

Then theirs the plethora of other versions that came out after the original 1000m swissfish, all of which took a turn for the worse (although you wouldn't get that impression by reading some of the wayward FS descriptions i've seen... "ultimate" my ass.)

It can always go a step further; swapping gen dials and piecemealing one together is more than I'm willing to do. There's other issues, like the 1's on the bezel are incorrect, the 12,6,9 are rounded at the top, theres no lume at 12,6,9 on the dial chapter ring. (probably why dial swap is so popular). All and all I'm very happy with this and it still is one of the true classic out of the box super reps- one of the originals.

Biggest issue is on the rep is the bracelet SELs. Gen SELs are recessed and match perfectly with the lugs.

(Robbies great shot)

Fish2.jpg

The black rep original "Swiss" version is pretty good. But the gen is still in the league of its own. Gen is a great purchase. It's not even expensive for what it offers.

9.jpg

and forgot to add that one of the better white dial steelfish (it's actually creme'ish) has silver marker and numbers on the dial that actually look golden in color?!...go figure...

@P4 --> never noticed the "1"s on the bezel before...nice catch...

@BT --> slightly recessed SELs?...never noticed that either...

@BT --> slightly recessed SELs?...never noticed that either...

Yep. Check this photo and see the recess. The SELs are "inside" the lugs on the gen. All reps have SELs that are on par with the lugs (plus they never fit properly). Small things, small things... ;)

v6rnmd.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great eyes and attention to detail

Appreciating my early generation sosf with ETA a bit more after rereading this.

Don't understand fully how so many part swaps and exchanges can be justified when the gen is so close in price to 3-4 of these reps?

I know, rep logic doesn't always make sense, but shouldn't one draw some lines? Should build cost getting to 50% of retail gen be considered an upper limit?

@Jurgen...i guess its part of the hobby...but once i collected all of the 3 colors of swiss fish and did a LOT of research, you could see that the factories did mix/match...so i simply would pick up pieces and move the best pieces to a single piece...as you can see, the differences exist, but are minor...most people don't know what's best...having a couple of the pieces in my collection led me to see the differences...that and some private discussions with other breit freaks like me to discuss the differences...all said and done, i collected a couple models (all swiss/eta, so said) and assembled what i wanted...sold the other pieces...if you know what to look for, you may get close with some of the pieces out there...anyways, the total cost of a "nice" swiss fish with all the right features is approx 1/5 of the pre-owned street price...not too bad, IMO...i added a gen dial - which drove my cost to 2/5 pre-owned street price...factor in relume and you're much closer to 1/2...yes - stil a lot compared to gen pre-owned...but still saved 1/2!...eventually, i'll pick up a gen steelfish and sell my franken - which will nicely subsidize the pre-owned price...

all in all - building a unique steelfish franken is actually a good investment - as many rep collectors would jump at picking a nice franken up...

just my 2 cents...it works for me...

R-