When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unlucky and disappointed

the_rymeister

Hi guys I think I must be super unlucky as I ordered my first reps on 28th of september which was an omega smp chrono which touch wood has been amazing, and a 42mm planet ocean.

Well the planet ocean turned up and all the hands were jamming up on themselves, as this was my first experience I thought I better send it back incase I break something trying to take it apart, so I send it back and after about 25 emails each way I end up with a upo 45mm coming my way.

So I'm very excited as I think I'm getting a nice new working watch..........wrong

Watch turns up and looks/feels amazing. Try setting time, crown doesn't do anything.

So here we are 6weeks later and still no working upo

Sorry to hear of your experiences... As to your question, are they checked, that really does vary from dealer to dealer. If you're seeing QC pics, you would hope that the watch has been checked for issues like you've reported. Many dealers, on the other hand, are just pure drop-shippers and never actually see the watch you are sent. Personally, I feel that folks are getting mollycoddled these days with QC pics, and while it is a nice service for a dealer to provide, I don't see why some folks expect them. For me, a stock pic on the website has always been enough for me :pardon: (assuming you do get sent the right thing... Only ever been sent an incorrect watch once in several years of collecting) If you send the dealer an email, I'm sure you'll be able to come to a reasonable conclusion. You may well have to pay return shipping, but in compensation, they may then offer you a discount on future purchasses :) Best of

luck :good::drinks:

I have go along with TeeJay...qc pics are not really a big deal for me either.

That being said..I want the dealer to make sure that there is nothing wrong with it...I expect the dealer to check the timekeeping and functions of the watch..If not...I wont use that dealer again.. If It all possible.

Im sorry to hear about your crappy luck so far...I've been lucky so far..I have purchased around 23-25 reps and I only had to send one back. The dealer sent back a pretty nice Pam rubber strap with deployant...no charge...so I cant really complain.

The SMPO are notorious for crown.tube/stems Issues..at some point in time almost everyone has issues with these reps unfortunately....but to have these problems out of the box...not good.

Try to hang In there...Im sure your luck will Improve in the furture. :)

Mike

As Maxman said (and I had forgotten) Planet Ocean reps are notorious for the crown/tubes stripping, and had the same thing happen to one of the three I owned in the past... Might not be an issue with 100% of watches, but it's certainly something to be mindful of :good:

Sorry to hear of your bad (albeit quite common) luck. But you should have Read This before placing your 1st order.

As it has been repeated so many times as to have become a mantra, the movements in rep watches are used &/or unserviced. This means that you may very well need to have your 'new' watch serviced upon receipt. This is common because there is little or no QC during the production of rep watches (production being a fancy way of describing a delicate watch that may have been assembled over someone's dinner table or floor :yeah: ) & few sellers actually do anything beyond snapping pics. And even in those cases where 1 of the better sellers puts your watch on a timer (to check its time-keeping before it leaves Asia), it is still effectively a throw of the dice since the watch's innards are still used &/or unserviced.

I would contact your seller (keep the communications simple & cordial since English is not the main language of most sellers), explain the problem & see what he recommends. In future (after reading the link above), try Josh or Andrew. Although I have not purchased any reps recently, I have always received very good service from them.

Good luck.

As Maxman said (and I had forgotten) Planet Ocean reps are notorious for the crown/tubes stripping, and had the same thing happen to one of the three I owned in the past... Might not be an issue with 100% of watches, but it's certainly something to be mindful of :good:

Exactly T..I have had mine close to two years now...yep been pretty lucky....but that luck is about to run out. I will probably have to get new crown/tubes /stem etc within a few months...oh well. :pardon:

Mike

Thanks guys I totally appreciate that the movements may require servicing, and upo's being common for crown faults but I tried setting time once and it didn't work.the problem I got Is this is the 2nd watch from who I thought was one of the better dealers on this forum and has been mentioned in this thread. I'm beggining to think that this dealer is a drop seller like tj said. Ive spoke to the dealer and he said to send it back for refund as this is the 2nd watch he has sent and both have been faulty.but after reading more posts today it sounds like its a fault with the keyless movement, I'm very new to watches and have only the knowledge I have read on rwg, I have a full toolkit from watchbitz and I am contemplating trying the repair myself and fitting new crown,tube and stem whilst apart.i have never done this before but am thinking if I fix it I know it's fixed,if that makes sense.otherwise I send it back and get another one which in turn could have similar faults being it out of the box or a month later. Woukd you guys recommend I try fix it or is it a very complicated repair trying to sort out keyless movement?

Thanks again guys for all the help and support.

Cheers

Ryan

Where are you in the World? These troubles are something a good watch repair guy can take care of in an hour or so ... Im talking about Gen crown/tube and also keyless repair.

Don't try it yourself, especially when you can't fix the crown and tube yourself! Get it fixed all at once by a reapir guy in your country or close-by ... you'll be much happier.

Woukd you guys recommend I try fix it or is it a very complicated repair trying to sort out keyless movement?

Being able to repair your own watch is a very rewarding experience, but I would not attempt your 1st repair on a watch that you want. Basically, you will need to remove the movement from the case, remove the hands & dial from the movement & then partially disassemble the keyless works to realign the components & then reassemble everything. Remember, too, that even if you are successful, the movement may have other problems that rear their head only after you get it all back together. Sending it back for refund or having it professionally serviced locally are your best options.

Cheers freddy, the only way I'm looking at it is if it all goes wrong I could just buy a complete movement and install it. I can see the logic in sending it back as it is an easy option but I'm also keen to learn how to fix these issues myself.only thing that concerns me is realigning the works. As i dont really know when i take it apart if it is right or wrong,as i have no knowledge in this field,wish it was an engine as im a mechanic by trade and it is alot easier working with complicated parts that you can actually get your hands on!

I think the movement removal and hand removal ect looks quite simple.( correct me if I'm wrong) .....I'm so stuck with what todo.

Where are you in the World? These troubles are something a good watch repair guy can take care of in an hour or so ... Im talking about Gen crown/tube and also keyless repair.

Don't try it yourself, especially when you can't fix the crown and tube yourself! Get it fixed all at once by a reapir guy in your country or close-by ... you'll be much happier.

Sorry jk I missed your post I'm in uk. I phoned a couple of local watch repairers today and both said to me if they work on any sort of replica watch they will confiscate it from me and send it back to the ad that the watch is replicating.

Just a thought. I'm starting to learn how to do minor fixes on some of my lower watches. Its kinda good to learn how to work on your on watch. But anything that I really like or is expensive so to the mod gods.

Only bother the mod gods for things which require godlike skills. Everything else, send to talented but ordinary modders/techs.

Rymeister, I'm not familiar with the normal repair people in the eurozone but I'm sure many people are and will point you in the right direction.

Why send a keyless to the northern spa when his schedule is sooooo overpacked?