When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen IWC 3717 hands

watcher

Today I received my gen hand set from IWC for my superfranken 371704 project. The first thing I noticed is that the little chrono dial hands no longer have the steel tube visible in the centre. It is now black to match the rest of the hand! I used to like that bit!!

Over the coming weeks I'm building a watch for myself using a gen case set and dial and hands etc. I'm using a swiss 7750 rather than an IWC 79320 as I can't afford that option right now as I bought a 2nd hand gen bracelet for it!

Outwardly it will be gen and I will save up for a 79320 next year.

Here is a pic of the hands.

001-18.jpg

Are you sure that this is how they all come nowadays? The reason for my doubt is that about a year ago I received a brand new gen hand set with one of the subdial hands with black painted centre (just like yours) and another one with missing black paint on its tip - obviously a sloppy mistake by the factory.

Edit: found an old pic illustrating the problem..

post-20731-0-50211100-1321905858.png

Edited by modelizer

This used to be a tell, but they have been coming this way.

The suppliers are having a hard time keeping up with IWC's request for parts.

IWC watches have become very popular with a certain group ... the Chinese!

IWC has become very popular in China, and this has put a strain on the suppliers.

They are having a hard time meeting demand while maintaining quality.

My guess is that it was easier to paint everything ... more product out the door.

And you know most gen owners don't pay attention to details like this. ;)

Mike

Very interesting. I wonder if this is how all classic 3717's (complete from the factory) will look in the future then - or if it's just the replacement parts ATM? Spoke to my local AD yesterday and his most recent delivery of 3717's from IWC still had the silver centre subdial hands. And he hasn't heard anything about this kind of update yet so I guess only time will tell..

Personally, I love the small silver centre detail. However, if it turns out to be a real model update on the gens, then it will be a easy mod to make the rep hands very accurate that's for sure.. ;)

I encountered with the same issue while buiding my 3717 from gen parts about a year ago. In the hand set I received one small hand had the steel tube, and the two other painted ones. I ended up ordering a couple of small hands with the steel center from hacra, who probably still can source them.

The qualtiy and detail in just the hands is very clear. I'm actually getting used to the idea of the all black centres now and it makes sense on an all black hand! I'm sure they will look fine when fitted. I'm not going to worry that people might think it is a rep as it clearly will not be! apart from the standard ETA 7750 inside that is!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well i am sorry to tell you guys but i have seen this problem long before and i can assure you that IWC 3717 comes ONLY with silver center hands, there isn't and as far as i know wont be any version of 3717-01 made with black center hands.

As far as factories is concerned i can also tell you there are several factories making hands for IWC and you probably just got from a sloppy one. This being said i saw a set of hands with black center parts in the past and yes they seem to be good quality as well but for some reason they have painted the center pin, i guess its easier for them, not sure why it happen that way or if it was just a mistake.

This being said if you like them that's the important thing, you will have a custom one.

Ps: I find it funny modelizer that you say that getting a damage hand (or one from each color) is a faulty from factory and not from the one who supplied you the parts. i would never, ever ship something like that to any of the members that get them from me. And if i got them from factory like that, they would be shipped back straight away or i would take the cost myself.

Edited by Hugo Alves

Ps: I find it funny modelizer that you say that getting a damage hand (or one from each color) is a faulty from factory and not from the one who supplied you the parts. i would never, ever ship something like that to any of the members that get them from me. And if i got them from factory like that, they would be shipped back straight away or i would take the cost myself.

Well Hugo, essentially it all boils down to bad QC from all involved of course.. :)

I have just been past my local IWC dealer in Leeds who has two 3717's in stock, one on a strap and one bracelet and guess what! the strap watch has black centres! Looks good actually as you still see the centre post in the middle on the hole. I have a rubbish phone so could not take a decent pic of them in the window as it was dark outside!!

I don't feel quite so bad now and think the look is ok. People out there who have no knowledge on this rep world would not even notice the difference on a genuine watch and if they did would not care less I don't think!

I have sold many genuine Rolex and Omega's over the years and often see differences in all aspects of the watch so I guess this is no different.