When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What strap/bracelet to use for a 1665 GW SD?

watchguy51

I have an old generation MBW 1665 great white SD (pics coming on the weekend), but I don't have the bracelet for it. Should I seek out a bracelet for it and some 585 end links? Or should I get a tropic strap and maybe a Rolex buckle? I have never handled a tropic strap before so I don't know anything about its longevity or quality. I have never seen one on a SD though, so I take it they were only ever really put on subs (I don't mind being the first though). I'm thinking a nato is out of the question, because the watch is already so thick. I wouldn't know where to get a decent bracelet for it though, if I went that route.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

RAF (single strap) NATOs fit on SDs perfectly! Also, the British official issue NATO is much thinner than the US counterpart, so that is an option.

Personally, I don't like straps on watches which will be worn in the water, because of the risk of the springbar failing. I suppose the same thing could be said for stock bracelets, though.

I believe that the strap options for a GW SD were the 9315 folded link with a safety clasp, or the modern replacement 93150 solid link with safety clasp. The 93150 is available from PT, but requires some modding to get gen springbars to fit. He sells them for his SDs, so the endlinks should be OK as is.

If you are ambitious, you can cobble together a 9315 (with wrong markings) from the Josh 7836 folded link bracelet and the PT 93150. It comes out OK, but as of now, I don't think there are any gen-accurate 9315 rep bracelets.

Hope this helps!

i recently picked up some 585's for my MBW 1665. i then picked up a rep 93150 and simply opened up the end to take the 2mm spring bars. the bracelet, end links, and spring bars fit like a glove and mount very nicely to the watch head.

if you want to go the tropic route, there are some rep ones on fleabay for 20 some odd bucks. try those out then decide if you want the $100+ tropic straps. also get the custom end link adaptors for straps. imho looks awesome on rollies. guy over on trf makes and sells them. i can't think of his name, but if you need it let me know and i'll search for it.