When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Desktop Shots - Let's See 'em

Utheman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wrong. Hockey is the most demanding of physical sports. You first must know how to skate.

lol. Not to get into a ridiculous sports debate, but American football is the most intellectual and demanding of all major league sports. The learning curve is massive (feel free to download the official rule book here; you'll note it's over 100 pages); the physical demands are immense; and most team's playbooks are the size of 2-3 dictionaries. You must realize that each play has 11 players on each team (22 total) and each player must generally perform their part perfectly at all stages of the play in order to be successful. Couple this with the fact that many offensive plays may be run very differently based upon how the defense is lined up (yet no word is ever spoken between key players, such as quarterback and receiver), and I don't think there's even an argument for calling American football an "attempt at creating a sport."

I will admit that it has a very very high learning curve (try explaining to your wife that a player that has checked in as a receiver has to be covering a guard at the line of scrimmage, which is a line that you can't see, but trust me, it's there) and that it is immensely expensive to play. I believe that both of those reasons accounts for its lack of popularity in the rest of the world. By no mean is this a post trying to convince you that American football is the best sport or that only America can afford it. Neither am I implying that "real football" is in any way inferior to American football.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the complexity of American football as I feel that most people think it's just a bunch of guys bashing each other around, gladiator style.

• 2 months later...

lol. Not to get into a ridiculous sports debate, but American football is the most intellectual and demanding of all major league sports. The learning curve is massive (feel free to download the official rule book here; you'll note it's over 100 pages); the physical demands are immense; and most team's playbooks are the size of 2-3 dictionaries. You must realize that each play has 11 players on each team (22 total) and each player must generally perform their part perfectly at all stages of the play in order to be successful. Couple this with the fact that many offensive plays may be run very differently based upon how the defense is lined up (yet no word is ever spoken between key players, such as quarterback and receiver), and I don't think there's even an argument for calling American football an "attempt at creating a sport."

I will admit that it has a very very high learning curve (try explaining to your wife that a player that has checked in as a receiver has to be covering a guard at the line of scrimmage, which is a line that you can't see, but trust me, it's there) and that it is immensely expensive to play. I believe that both of those reasons accounts for its lack of popularity in the rest of the world. By no mean is this a post trying to convince you that American football is the best sport or that only America can afford it. Neither am I implying that "real football" is in any way inferior to American football.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the complexity of American football as I feel that most people think it's just a bunch of guys bashing each other around, gladiator style.

Without wanting to start a discussion on sports; but rugby is a lot more physical demanding and a much faster pacing sport! ! Ask players who have played both…

• 8 months later...

lol....."most demanding and intellectual".....

Yawn...

Your opinion.

Why is it even called "foot ball"?

The last time I watched that bore of a game, only a couple of "playas" even use their feet to kick the ball.

Should be called american runPassCatchThrowBlockball. Anything except the words football.

If they want to make the game real, they should take away all those pads, helmets, and face guards....you would see less injuries as playa's wouldn't be using their heads to make spear headed tackles, or fucking up their own bodies with the types of gladiator bashing that they make.

Something along the lines of rugby. It has minimal padding or protection for the players and a lot less injuries.

The rest of the world couldn't give two shits about american football. But in true, typical american style, they will go way out of their way to convince us of its superiority to english football.

Tottenham and the rest of the FA play real football. A ball is kicked with the foot hence FOOTBALL.

But thanks for shedding some light on your sport and your passion for it.

• 1 month later...