When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Diver dissambled for bezel repair, scratched bezel

mike00

I thought this could be usefull here also. I am an active REPGEEK member and not so active over here...neverless I wanted to share this with ya.

This time a forum member contacted me for a repair, he made a pretty long scratch over his bezel :(

The problem is the bezel scratch very very easilly and not everyone has the knowledge or the propper tools to replace a bezel. You need to remove the crystal for example, so a crystal press is bassicly a must have besides the other tools offcourse.

The difficult thing is that you need find the correct grain for resanding and the fact the bezel is brushed in one direction. The crystal is lying a bit higher compared to the bezel so removing is neccesairy. Also the bezelscrews need to be removed because they are polished and we want to keep this that way.

Just for the record I practice watchmaking for more then 4 years now so I am not a newbie in dissambling a watch or doing small repairs.

I have swapped datewheels, replaced crystals, fixed keyless works etc etc.

Most of the RG members know I am a trustable honest longtime member just sharing the same passion and practice watchmaking as a hobby.

I have made some detailed pics to share...

Let the journy begin..

20f2f44e.jpg

e75e99ca.jpg

6fcb4daf.jpg

ecd17145.jpg

dd3ca400.jpg

d093cf00.jpg

00a1f31d.jpg

72735293.jpg

44134466.jpg

c18e2755.jpg

e9d990a1.jpg

18a93510.jpg

e526d672.jpg

WHEN PRESSING OUT THE CRYSTAL YOU NEED TO PRESS IT FROM THE OUTSIDE!

e3e762db.jpg

19d1f00e.jpg

8b122607.jpg

57787877.jpg

WIPE IN A STRAIGHT LINE TO MAINTAIN THE ONE WAY GRAIN, REPEAT THIS FOR ABOUT 10 TIMES

7d846935.jpg

3aa15f80.jpg

c54d7a17.jpg

4307257f.jpg

f12ef599.jpg

d7784e9f.jpg

f6350b57.jpg

SOME EARLIER CAUSED SWIRLS ON THE POLISHED SIDE NEEDS TO BE POLISHED AWAY

0975a48b.jpg

fb13014f.jpg

NOW BEWARE: WHEN PRESSING BACK THE CRYSTAL IN YOU NEED TO PRESS IT FROM THE INSIDE OF THE

BEZEL. THIS MEANS YOUR BEZEL IS LYING ON THE PLASTIC DICE RISKING TO BE SCRATCHED AGAIN. I USE SOME KITCHEN FOIL TO PREVENT THIS!

f0bfd9f2.jpg

dfecf58e.jpg

0f5af32a.jpg

447d1c90.jpg

5f011aa5.jpg

LET'S HOPE HE IS HAPPY WITH THE END RESULT :D

30aaf54b.jpg

43c8b53d.jpg

0748b1ae.jpg

THANX FOR WATCHING.

Edited by mike00
  • Like 1

Mike I need your help!! Mate the Safari bezel is a dent/scratch magnet!! I wore it to work yesterday and it has scratches already (very minor ones) and a very very small dent!! you think these kits would help?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Watch-Care-Polish-Kit-Audemars-Piguet-AP-Watches-Cosmetic-Restoration-/190604924372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c60f055d4#ht_2714wt_905

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deluxe-Watch-Scratch-Removal-Kit-Audemars-Piguet-AP-/200626068110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb63eda8e#ht_2457wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultimate-Watch-Refinishing-Kit-Day-Date-Watches-Brushed-High-Polish-/190611156309?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2c614f6d55#ht_2808wt_905

I do not have the tools required to open up the watch ... would I be able to sue these kits on the watch without having to open them up?

Cheers

This will not work believe me. I tried this before to my scratched AP and it became a total dissaster. Only way is the way i did in this tuto. Otherwise you will mess up the grain. This is why i started this whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mike00

This will not work believe me. I tried this before to my scratched AP and it became a total dissaster. Only way is the way i did in this tuto. Otherwise you will mess up the grain. This is why i started this whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks mike you are a saver mate..!! So Ill go with the tuto. BUt do you recommend me waiting sometime before I open it up? or should I just do it now and be careful from here on? Also any possible solution for the dents

Thx Mike

Regards

P