When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to Mod a ETA 2846-2?

JoeyB

Checked the archives, looks like stilty did it but the pics are all gone. I have a full dress ETA 2846-2 21 jewel that I want to strip down to a no day, no date and two position set. Anyone have any pics on what should be removed, what needs to stay and which little bump in the set lever is ground down?

no idea what happened to the pictures, but in order to convert to a 2 position stem, you need to modify or swap the set bridge. If you wish to modify the part, you need to smooth out the middle bump. Or if you just want to spend $5-6, you can buy one. You will need a set bridge from an ETA 2801-2 non date movement.

And if you are really handy, you can also install the hack lever.

good luck!

I'm no watchmaker, but I keep getting into these movements more and more. I've successfully re-set keyless works in ETA and DG movements now, and removed and replaced date wheels. Easy stuff for the knowledgeable, scary for me. I had seen your pics a while ago, so last night I went by memory. I guessed at what needed to be removed for the day and date functions, and then I removed the keyless works cover. I then pushed and pulled the stem to see it work, and guessed it was the middle 'bump' that had to be smoothed out. My tiniest file was still too big so I took a piece of 400 grit sandpaper, folded it and went to work. It took a while, but I did it! Then I decided, being on a roll, that I'd remove the hacking lever. That too was really easy, seemed too easy. All that and the movement still works! I amazed myself! So, my 6204 Submariner is now a slow beat, two position no hack watch!

Thank you!

stockbridge.jpgadjustedbridge.jpg

finished6204.jpg?t=1324582559

Just an interesting, to me anyway, update on the movement. After the minor 'surgery' and assembly, I gave the watch about 25 winds and set it. That was Wednesday night at about 10:30 P.M., and I set it on my desk. I wore it yesterday afternoon for a little less than 3 hours, and as of noon today it's still running. That's a nice reserve. And, with no adjustment at all, it has maintained time perfectly. No gain or loss of even 1 second.

This is my first ETA 2846-2, I bought it from Smith's Supply House in California http://www.smithsupp...eta28swau6.html because they had a good price. It looks new and genuine, but the rotor was an engraved 'Bulova'. It could be NOS or rebuilt, but I have no idea. I can't recommend the supplier as they overcharged me on shipping, I complained and got a credit, and it looks as though they made an unauthorized charge on my credit card with a dating service and a foreign exchange fee. That's still being investigated, but the charge happened at the same time of my transaction. The owner is very defensive from the go, and difficult to reason with. He uses Yahoo Business and blames everything on them, and refused to talk to them to straighten it all out. My credit card company handled it, so no loss to me other than the aggravation. With all that I wasn't expecting the movement to work so well, and knowing I was going to modify it meant I couldn't return it. All in all, I think I got very lucky.

Just an interesting, to me anyway, update on the movement. After the minor 'surgery' and assembly, I gave the watch about 25 winds and set it. That was Wednesday night at about 10:30 P.M., and I set it on my desk. I wore it yesterday afternoon for a little less than 3 hours, and as of noon today it's still running. That's a nice reserve. And, with no adjustment at all, it has maintained time perfectly. No gain or loss of even 1 second.

This is my first ETA 2846-2, I bought it from Smith's Supply House in California http://www.smithsupp...eta28swau6.html because they had a good price. It looks new and genuine, but the rotor was an engraved 'Bulova'. It could be NOS or rebuilt, but I have no idea. I can't recommend the supplier as they overcharged me on shipping, I complained and got a credit, and it looks as though they made an unauthorized charge on my credit card with a dating service and a foreign exchange fee. That's still being investigated, but the charge happened at the same time of my transaction. The owner is very defensive from the go, and difficult to reason with. He uses Yahoo Business and blames everything on them, and refused to talk to them to straighten it all out. My credit card company handled it, so no loss to me other than the aggravation. With all that I wasn't expecting the movement to work so well, and knowing I was going to modify it meant I couldn't return it. All in all, I think I got very lucky.

I puchased one from Wm. S. McCaw, Co. and it was new. $57.95.