When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unique Quinting Watch - Totally See Through

fotoman

140080-17233.jpg

I saw one of these like 10 years ago. They are super cool looking, i had totally forgotten the brand until someone pointed out that odd watch website.

anyway just thought i'd post here, looks to me like a good price on this one http://cgi.ebay.com/schoene-Quinting-QSS5K...1QQcmdZViewItem i am not even sure if they make them anymore, all the info i'm finding is old.

I think parts of the movement are made of saphire so the watch is completely see through. When i saw them 10 yrs ago they started at 10k retail

anyway - just thought i'd put it out there. - if i were in the financial position to be buying cool watches at this price, i'd grab it.

Essentially, each Quinting watch houses a patented sapphire movement that makes the watch transparent. If you study a complicated movement from a well- established brand, you will find that its movement is made from metal. The Quinting movement is made by superposing several thin-toothed discs of sapphire previously metallised and given an antireflection coating. This is a very complicated system of stationary and mobile sapphires. It must be immediately noted that such a watch could absolutely not be realized with an entirely “mechanical” movement, but it was certainly not easy to obtain it even by adopting an electronic solution that anyway has to use many sophisticated mechanical pieces. Therefore, summing up, this watch might be considered a mechanical one electronically driven. Inside the external rim of the case four motors are hidden from view. From these motors, the hands are driven by a system of mobile sapphire crystals. There are six transparent mobile sapphires – one each for the hours, minutes and seconds. Additionally, there are seven stationary sapphires which hold the assemblage together. The positioning of these glasses is extremely rigorous. The sapphire layers are placed at a distance of at least 0.08 to 0.1 millimetre.

The Quinting manufacture is one of a small circle of watchmakers producing their own movements. All the parts of the Quinting movement are assembled by hand at the manufacture situated in St. Blaise, near Neuchatel in Switzerland. The extremely delicate operation is performed in a dust free room to ensure the perfect transparency.

Working in sapphire is a very precise craft. It requires a delicate hand and 100 percent precision since, unlike metal, sapphire is a nonfusible and nonelastic material. This advanced technique requires a high degree of precision and knowledge, placing the Quinting watches among the most sophisticated and complex on the market.

Just a personal experience. I had been intrigued with the Quinting because of the cool factor of a see through watch with gears made of sapphire. I mean, how awesome is that. So last May I tried on a couple in Tourneau in Ceasars, Las Vegas. Now mind you they appear great looking in the pics but in your hand they are rather disappointing. Nothing really there to look at since, well, its clear. Its like someone painted a dial on your wrist. Its unique for a conversation piece to explain how it works, but as a watch not much to look at. Its so clean its boring. Guess after the wow factor wears off the buyer gets rid of it, that's why I noticed that all the Quintings that were for sale, and there were quite a few, were all in the pre-owned section of the store. That gave me the clue that my initial reaction when trying on and seeing it in person was probably correct. Ah well, metal gears seem to give a perception of skill even though the sapphire was harder to put together. They appear like a cheap watch in person.

From memory, Omni, we had an extended discussion on these, maybe 2 years ago?? , over at "Guide"

I remember at the time, wondering how one would ever work on one? Maybe they have special optical glasses, or use a wash off dye or something, just so you can see the parts to work. Lord knows, the small bits on a normal mech, are frustrating enough, and you can see those critters!

Think these would even stretch the Ziggmasters talents!

Interesting watches, and a view from Omni, that should not be overlooked.

Heaps around secondhand eh! Wouldn't impose much faith in retaining value.

Offshore

I think it's incredibly clever and skilled to come up with a design like this, a unique one at that. However, for me part of the lure or attraction to this hobby is being able to see the movement in action and marvel at its precision, not guess at how it works... You're sort of short changed a little with the Quinting...IMHO ;)

Just a personal experience. I had been intrigued with the Quinting because of the cool factor of a see through watch with gears made of sapphire. I mean, how awesome is that. So last May I tried on a couple in Tourneau in Ceasars, Las Vegas. Now mind you they appear great looking in the pics but in your hand they are rather disappointing. Nothing really there to look at since, well, its clear. Its like someone painted a dial on your wrist. Its unique for a conversation piece to explain how it works, but as a watch not much to look at. Its so clean its boring. Guess after the wow factor wears off the buyer gets rid of it, that's why I noticed that all the Quintings that were for sale, and there were quite a few, were all in the pre-owned section of the store. That gave me the clue that my initial reaction when trying on and seeing it in person was probably correct. Ah well, metal gears seem to give a perception of skill even though the sapphire was harder to put together. They appear like a cheap watch in person.

What were they priced at?

I mean, for me, i love unique pieces, i love out of the box thinking, so for me, if i could afford to collect these prices, i'd get one just t o have in the collection.

I love my citizen not only because its cool looking. Its also solar, and perpetual calender. I mean, how f-in cool is that, and especially in a sub 200 watch.

anway, just curious what the resale prices werer at

What were they priced at?
Sorry phoband, I don't remember. I'll be back in May again but I think member hambone says he works in Ceasars. If you contact him he could probably go in and look for you. http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry137253

I am like you, other than a yellow dial Seiko in highschool most of my watches I got after that were unique nerdy gadget watches. I've been through more electronic gadget watches than I care to think of. That's all changed pretty much now to mechanical as aging eyesight has taken the fun out of sliderule bezels, digitals, calculators, computer type watches, although I did recently buy a 1 gig flash memory analog watch with a USB connector in the band that my son promptly requisitioned. The Quinting is a pretty expensive novelty in my eyes. Isn't the motor movement quartz?