When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of Lume

poretl

Hi and happy New Year.

I was reading the other day an article that talked sepcifically about Panerai's great lume (was talking about gen of course) and its ability to glow up to 14-15 hours with one still being able to read the dial. They also provided charts that showed the lume intensity Vs time.

1. Let's assume that the above statement is true. But because it might be too big of an assumption let's lower the 14 hours down to 8 hours.

2. All the descriptions of the rep Pan claim the lume is so unbelieveably freakin good, like the original this, like the original that. Oh, I almost forgot. The latest 366 release, one of the dealers claims something long these lines: "the lume is BETTER than the original in terms of how long it last. Unbelievable but true".

1+2 above suggest that these reps lume can last at least 8 hours. Can you guys comment on that? Does your rep Pan's lume last 8+ hours?

Genuine TriTech brand Super-Luminova is rated to last 7 or 8 hours. That means you can read it if you are in complete darkness after that amount of time. Of course it will only glow brightly for a short time, and then last for the duration at a much dimmer level.

Gen watch makers don't brew up their own luminous material, no matter what lies their marketing departments spoon-feed to you. They buy from makers like TriTech.

As a rule of thumb, replica lume glows brightly for a few moments then fades to nothing. If you get anything better than that you are lucky. New rep watches with Super-Luminova glow like a genuine brand watch.

@ Powermax So look at this newly released watch and see what it says about the lume:

http://www.1-pc8838.com/pn366m02-366m-fu31119-p-11825.html

You think I can indeed expect the same quality as the gen which by th way, as a gen owner, can you tell me if it indeed lasts all night (8+ hours)?

I'm not sure about others but I like this feature on a watch. I already have another watch (gen) that lasts all night (approx. 7 hours) and I love it.

Thx

Jkay has it exactly right. Can you read the watch in total darkness after 7-8 hours - yes. Is it glowing like a torch - heck no. You will be surprised at how quickly the brightness tones down. I have always found it interesting that the brightness and length of glow can vary dramatically based on the color of the lume. It is not an accident that Panerai initially stuck with C3. ;)

I keep reading folks boast about their lumes and how they last for hours, what a non sense. You will get a decent amount of lume for about 15 min with any good gen. After that it's a foolish exercise of locking yourself inside a dark closet so you can pat yourself in the back that you can make out the dial from the very very faint lume.

If you want to read a dial in the dark get something like this ;)

Sport-style-watch.jpg

it's called sleeping in a dark room, not locking yourself inside a dark closet. I don't lock myself in ay closet but I have to confess, I sleep every night. I personally find it very useful in the middle of the night reading the time off of my watch that's next to me. And no, it's not an exaggeration. I have an Swiss Army Airboss Special Edition and it lasts all night. Not as bright as it is within the first 30 minutes but it's perfectly readable.

I keep reading folks boast about their lumes and how they last for hours, what a non sense. You will get a decent amount of lume for about 15 min with any good gen. After that it's a foolish exercise of locking yourself inside a dark closet so you can pat yourself in the back that you can make out the dial from the very very faint lume.

If you want to read a dial in the dark get something like this ;)

Exactly, they glow bright after a charge, and only with a dark room and adjusted eyes will you see the glow (quality)REP or GEN.

Exception: Ball Watch and Doxa 800Ti with Tritium Tubes. (I think a few other brands are using Tritium Tubes now).

My Ball's glow with the same intensity 24x7 :rofl:

bdlume.jpg

p1000170w.jpg

• Like 1

it's called sleeping in a dark room, not locking yourself inside a dark closet. I don't lock myself in ay closet but I have to confess, I sleep every night. I personally find it very useful in the middle of the night reading the time off of my watch that's next to me. And no, it's not an exaggeration. I have an Swiss Army Airboss Special Edition and it lasts all night. Not as bright as it is within the first 30 minutes but it's perfectly readable.

don't take this the wrong way but this is a little bit of non sense.

1) you should have better sleeping habits as waking up to check a watch is not a very healthy thing to do

2) as you are waking up your eyes will have a hard time adjusting to a faint dial, a digital one (or the Ball like suggested above) would be a lot more useful

3) have you considered an alarm so you don't have to worry about waking up to check the time?

don't take this the wrong way but this is a little bit of non sense.

1) you should have better sleeping habits as waking up to check a watch is not a very healthy thing to do

2) as you are waking up your eyes will have a hard time adjusting to a faint dial, a digital one (or the Ball like suggested above) would be a lot more useful

3) have you considered an alarm so you don't have to worry about waking up to check the time?

Thanks for the advice. And no, I don't take it the wrong way. But I hope you don't charge me for your services.

whatever dude, good luck to whatever you are looking for here.

OK, will you forgive me if I listen to your pal txcollector and change my sleeping habits ans buy an alarm? And I promise, I will NEVER, EVER again look at my watch in the night. I will also join the lumaholic anonymous, just for you.

Edited by poretl

I have an Swiss Army Airboss Special Edition and it lasts all night. Not as bright as it is within the first 30 minutes but it's perfectly readable.

you probably already have your answer then. The gen PAMs and reps that use superluminova should be no better or worse than your Airboss.

I really don't get the point of your threads and thats probably a good reason I should refrain from replying to them as you seem to either be getting the wrong idea from the posts or have an attitude I don't care for.

I have an Swiss Army Airboss Special Edition and it lasts all night. Not as bright as it is within the first 30 minutes but it's perfectly readable.

I don't know that watch but assuming it is lume that sounds about right. It will still glow after several hours, the glow is a fraction of what it was in the first 15-30 minutes but it would certainly be readable in the dark for several hours. As for the reps it is a function of the quality of the lume. The 15-16 hours and still bright is not possible with lume though.

great. So I'm now between an alarm, as per tx's advice, or a panerai. But can I put the alarm on my wrist? Can I challenge the AD in the mall to see if he can tell if it's real or fake with my alarm? No and no. After all, when I get married probably I

ll get a couple of alarms as gifts but certainly not a Panerai. Genuine or rep. Especially a rep.

• 1 month later...

I Have some gen pams and the lume glow is not that big. My old 2002 model has tritium which gives a normal glow ,my 005 on the other hand with superluminova glows much better.Recentky i got a Noob rep and the lume on it was believe it or not superior to the Gen!!

As for the reps it is a function of the quality of the lume.

I Have some gen pams and the lume glow is not that big. My old 2002 model has tritium which gives a normal glow ,my 005 on the other hand with superluminova glows much better.Recentky i got a Noob rep and the lume on it was believe it or not superior to the Gen!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but are there not at least 2 other factors influencing the lume: Thickness and age?

Its not always that case.Perhaps it has to do with the materials or how they are applied.A friend has gen 26k the lume is superior.

Also the Lume on my Omega seamaster professional is also amazing !Glows like a torch !The 005 glows as well just slightly behind,and when is ay this i mean you have to be a watch fanatic to tell!